Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel / Moore's law

Options
  • 15-05-2018 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭

I never trusted this Intel crowd.

For the past 40 years or so like clockwork they have come out every few months and said "Here's a brand new processor we invented, so much better than the previous one" and rarely did they skip a beat. I reckon these cute hoors found a way to manufacture the processors they are selling today and even smaller ones way back in the 70's or 80's and are just drip feeding incremental improvements to us and passing it off as genuine progress.

They must have some corporate drones up in a glass building somewhere deciding this is the best way to make money out of selling processors but think about all the e-waste that would have been saved if they made today's processors 30 years ago. They pushed their luck with this profit-maxmising strategy back in the early-mid 2000s when AMD almost caught up with them but besides that it's worked almost flawlessly for them.

Obviously they still need people to design the chips and add features to them that the market finds useful but I reckon all the (something)-nanometer manufacturing processes were invented way back in the day. Intel are the "De Beers" of the tech industry.

Comments

Chips are almost as small as they can be. Soon, quantum tunneling will prohibit them from becoming any smaller.

Also, you have to remember the upfront costs, and difficulty, of setting up the production of these chips. They know how to make it smaller, but it takes a long time to get it happening within acceptable error rates.

The focus now is mostly on lower power consumption.

Your De Beers comparison in nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Chips are almost as small as they can be. Soon, quantum tunneling will prohibit them from becoming any smaller.

Also, you have to remember the upfront costs, and difficulty, of setting up the production of these chips. They know how to make it smaller, but it takes a long time to get it happening within acceptable error rates.

The focus now is mostly on lower power consumption.

Your De Beers comparison in nonsensical.

They have been 'almost as small as they can be' for ages now and every time Intel magically pulls another rabbit out of their arse as the competition catches up. Even if it's finite they would have been better off financially smearing the progress out over 50 years instead of 5

They have been 'almost as small as they can be' for ages now and every time Intel magically pulls another rabbit out of their arse as the competition catches up. Even if it's finite they would have been better off financially smearing the progress out over 50 years instead of 5
    Why didn't they then if they're that clever?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP,

You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. No corporation can risk hiding away technological advances from the customer.

The risk of espionage and the theft of such advances ending up in the hands of a competitor is just far too great.

The likes of the US, France and Israel have parts of their secret police devoted to industrial espionage.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    OP,

You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. No corporation can risk hiding away technological advances from the customer.

The risk of espionage and the theft of such advances ending up in the hands of a competitor is just far too great.

The likes of the US, France and Israel have parts of their secret police devoted to industrial espionage.

They have billions to invest in a good hiding place. Also Coca Cola manage to keep their recipe secret and that's only a simple soft drink with a handfull of ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,943 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They have billions to invest in a good hiding place. Also Coca Cola manage to keep their recipe secret and that's only a simple soft drink with a handfull of ingredients.

There's not much profit in a can of cola. There's huge profit in IC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If Intel is that good why do they put the chips on the inside? Why not put them on the outside so everyone can see? They're obviously hiding something. I've never liked the cut of their jib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's not much profit in a can of cola. There's huge profit in IC.

Sell a lot of cans of cola and there's a lot of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So intel are the only processor manufacturer according to the OP? hmm better tell that to ati, apple, ibm, nvidia and samsung to name a tiny few that have been keeping pace with intel for years

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it really a secret?

Surely its easy to take a few drops of cola, analyse the ingredients and discover the recipe?

No?

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    So intel are the only processor manufacturer according to the OP? hmm better tell that to ati, apple, ibm, nvidia and samsung to name a tiny few that have been keeping pace with intel for years

No, perhaps if it wasn't for the other manufacturers they'd still be selling Pentium 4s pretending they're the latest and greatest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No, perhaps if it wasn't for the other manufacturers they'd still be selling Pentium 4s pretending they're the latest and greatest

What a bizarrely stupid hypothetical world you are trying to live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it really a secret?

Surely its easy to take a few drops of cola, analyse the ingredients and discover the recipe?

No?

Is it not the ratio that is more important than the ingredients and maybe the source of the ingredients would be more important than the ingredients themselves.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Is it not the ratio that is more important than the ingredients and maybe the source of the ingredients would be more important than the ingredients themselves.

Surely ratio could be discovered from analysing a bottle of Coke.

And some other cola drinks have got very close to matching the taste of Coke, so I'm not so sure it would be that hard to make a fairly good copy of it.

Is it something special anyway? I never thought it was nicer than other colas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Coke have the ingredients on the can in order of quantity.
    Wouldn't take a genius to copy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they have competition from AMD who would just leap frog them if they could. Its funny there is a Star Trek Next Gen episode where they mention computer speeds in their current time, these have already been beaten now. Hats off to the engineers at Intel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What about the shampoo manufacturers, or the whitening toothpaste makers?

They have been saying their products have been improving for years now, and I bet they are probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

NIMAN wrote: »
    What about the shampoo manufacturers, or the whitening toothpaste makers?

They have been saying their products have been improving for years now, and I bet they are probably the same.

New and improved etc ..a bit like admitting their previous version was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

I see the conspiracy theory forum is leaking.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    New and improved etc ..a bit like admitting their previous version was crap.

... and they show how much better their new version is by showing a graph, with no scales or markings, simply 1 bar with 'old version' and a 2nd bar, twice the height, with 'new version' written on it.

Real scientific like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,288 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

circadian wrote: »
    I see the conspiracy theory forum is leaking.

I've seen dirty nappies leak more interesting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Coke's 'secret recipe' is a very old marketing trick. It's basically nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

What the hell are you people using your computers for?
    You will read about posters building a new PC, and looking for advice
    "32gb RAM, might upgradeable to 64gb
    10TB storage internal and 20TB on a network storage device
    latest intel i9 overclocked to 5ghz
    latest Gforce 9999 overclocked
    all will be water cooled
    i will mostly be using it for Netflix, Facebook and Farmville
    do i have enough "horsepower"
    can you recommend any improvements to my build?"

Serious question, what do you use your PC for, and do you even need the latest and greatest components to do what ever the hell you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Anthracite wrote: »

It's different in most countries for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I spend all day running angstrom scale simulations to help reduce critical dimensions, am pretty gutted to hear that this was all invented in the 70s and we are just wasting our time :(

BTW: Samsung are ahead of Intel today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

What the hell are you people using your computers for?
    You will read about posters building a new PC, and looking for advice
    "32gb RAM, might upgradeable to 64gb
    10TB storage internal and 20TB on a network storage device
    latest intel i9 overclocked to 5ghz
    latest Gforce 9999 overclocked
    all will be water cooled
    i will mostly be using it for Netflix, Facebook and Farmville
    do i have enough "horsepower"
    can you recommend any improvements to my build?"

Serious question, what do you use your PC for, and do you even need the latest and greatest components to do what ever the hell you do?

Gaming would be a big reason and then there's audio and video production!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Elliot Carver : Mr. Jones, are we ready to release our new software?

Jones : Yes, sir. As requested, it's full of bugs, which means people will be forced to upgrade for years.

Elliot Carver : Outstanding.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Moores Law was been maintained by Intel for many decades because it was an ego trip for Gordon Moore. They werent hiding any advancements but maximising profits from the process before moving onto the next process and bullying their market position so that market demand was in line with their roadmap.

The demand for low power processors allowed the likes of ARM & AMD to derail their stupid GHz race.

the physical limitations of manufacturing silicon transistors getting harder and moores law will not hold true, because its just a good piece of marketing by intel, as they will have to switch from silicon transistors causing a plateau in transistor count for several years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d presume manufacturing chips and processors is an industry where if you stood still for a second then your competitors would have you for lunch. Didn’t intel take their eye off mobile for 6 months and ARM destroyed them by licensing out their designs and architectures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Anthracite wrote: »

Coke's disastrous 'New Coke' campaign came directly as a result of consumers preferring Pepsi over Coke in blind taste tests (Coke's own tests, I should add). Coke is more popular because of the iconic packaging, the 'holidays are coming' ads at Christmas, etc., more so than the taste.

Advertisement