Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is finasteride/worth the risk?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

endacl wrote: »
    Have you ever had a non-nonsense thought?

Why is that nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Most studies are a load of crap, cause humans in general are paranoid idiots

You could give 100 men placebo's ( thinking they are taking Finasteride ) and alot of them men will have side effects

Studies are crap because the companies behind them often manipulate the data in favour of their products.

As we have seen in the case of Propecia if it was so safe Merck would have no need to hide certain data.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-courts-secrecy-unseal/reuters-asks-judge-to-release-secret-propecia-documents-idUSKCN1VX2IZ

Patient11 wrote: »
    Studies are crap because the companies behind them often manipulate the data in favour of their products.

As we have seen in the case of Propecia if it was so safe Merck would have no need to hide certain data.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-courts-secrecy-unseal/reuters-asks-judge-to-release-secret-propecia-documents-idUSKCN1VX2IZ

So what are the main side effects. Sexual dysfunction? Is there any proof this is permanent and correlated solely with finasteride? A lot of men today experience erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Maybe taking finasteride might compound those problems but I don't think in healthy men, especially when most come out fine, will it do anything. But that's just speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm actually thinking of using this but for reducing my sex drive.

Why?

Why?

I don't like the burden of sex? It's great but when you're not getting any it really really sucks. Masturbation doesn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't like the burden of sex? It's great but when you're not getting any it really really sucks. Masturbation doesn't do it.

Having a thin, wispy, pre-pubescent beard probably isnt going to help with the having of more sex tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,651 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1mg/ 1.25mg is too much, But after doing some research online it shows that as little as 0.20 mg daily reduces DTH by the same or near same amount on the scalp. I now take a tiny bit daily, probably the size of 5 grains of sugar, and no side effects, and hair has maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

How about prayer, self-flagellation and going to your GP if you really can't wank those feelings away? I've never known a chap who wasn't happy to knock one out.

That medication seems a bit harsh with serious side-effects. What happens if it takes away your ability to sustain an erection but doesn't take away the interest in having sex. You're in a bit of trouble then.

So what are the main side effects. Sexual dysfunction? Is there any proof this is permanent and correlated solely with finasteride? A lot of men today experience erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Maybe taking finasteride might compound those problems but I don't think in healthy men, especially when most come out fine, will it do anything. But that's just speculation

This guy outlines the side effects he suffered from Finasteride.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Patient11 wrote: »
    This guy outlines the side effects he suffered from Finasteride.

I feel for the guy and personally wouldn't go near a drug that starts messing with testosterone or similar in a a systemic way in the body, but straight off he states he took only one pill of this drug and had all these side effects. While I can certainly see a mechanism where someone might be on the drug for a few months or years suffering side effects from it, no way can I see a mechanism whereby just one dose could cause such wide ranging and long term and near instantaneous effects that he's reporting. Not unless he has a very rare and particular biochemistry where one dose shut down some metabolic process or other. Even then.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I feel for the guy and personally wouldn't go near a drug that starts messing with testosterone or similar in a a systemic way in the body, but straight off he states he took only one pill of this drug and had all these side effects. While I can certainly see a mechanism where someone might be on the drug for a few months or years suffering side effects from it, no way can I see a mechanism whereby just one dose could cause such wide ranging and long term and near instantaneous effects that he's reporting. Not unless he has a very rare and particular biochemistry where one dose shut down some metabolic process or other. Even then.

Getting messed up fron 1 pill of Finasteride is unusual but it does happen to some people.

(skip to 3:11)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Is finoxidil (topical Finasteride + Minoxidil Formula 82F) available in Ireland? It seems to be available in the US.

Is finoxidil (topical Finasteride + Minoxidil Formula 82F) available in Ireland? It seems to be available in the US.

You can check on the hpra website. It shows you what medicines are availble otc and on prescription in irelan

• Registered Users Posts: 35,651 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I've been on it for 2 years. 5 MG, They say cut into 1/4s for a 1.25 MG dose, but that is too much. They real pill is only 1MG, so why on earth would you go higher.
    What I do is cut it into tiny bits, I could get 30 pieces from a pill. One little piece a day, studies have shown that 0.20 reduces DHT on scalp as much as 1MG, they really should realise by now that 1MG is too much, should make 0.25 mg pills for hairloss.
    WOrks for me to maintain hair. I don't use minoxidil , that I am allergic to. Break out in hives.
    0.20 is enough to stop the hair fall. My only regret is not using it sooner, my hair is not bad, just need temples touched up and crown touched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

On a somewhat related topic, has anyone tried these DHT blockers? Literally just called DHT blockers. I think it's just vitamins but the reviews seem decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say it's probably just mostly saw palmetto which is cheaper to buy in isolation, basically a much weaker natural version of finasteride anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

It doesn't seem to be available topically in Ireland

Advertisement