Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with busking permits?

Options
  • 14-05-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Do people need a permit to busk? Or is it a plan the council thought of but haven't implemented? If one does need a permit to busk in Galway where does one get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cllr Michael J Crowe is under the impression that "amplification is the biggest problem in Galway".
    Maybe he knows the answer
    https://www.fiannafail.ie/people/cllr-michael-crowe/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Council voting on a proposal for limits and some permits tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The city council are trying their best to drive buskers out of the city, banning amps? Most are under 50kw. Shops pay massive rates, buskers don’t, the council are only ever going to think short term. Sad day for the city that this got voted through

Galway 2020 city of cultural. Comical we should be embarrassed and Hand it back

The city council are trying their best to drive buskers out of the city, banning amps? Most are under 50kw. Shops pay massive rates, buskers don’t, the council are only ever going to think short term. Sad day for the city that this got voted through

Galway 2020 city of cultural. Comical we should be embarrassed and Hand it back

Good buskers don’t need amps.

Amps mean buskers have to stand further apart.

No amps means more space for buskers means more good buskers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No amps before 6pm was passed last night. Buskers under the age of 16 have to be accompanied by a parent.

I'm glad to hear the end of the amps to be honest.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    No amps before 6pm was passed last night. Buskers under the age of 16 have to be accompanied by a parent.

I'm glad to hear the end of the amps to be honest.

Buskers under 16 need a parent, can't wait to see the primary school Christmas Carrollers

Buskers under 16 need a parent, can't wait to see the primary school Christmas Carrollers

Hee ... and the exact parent who is named on the permit needs to be present. I don't know how close they have to be to be considered present.

Wonder what's going to happen to the fella with the hat and the backing tracks? He's awful but he bloody loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Ed Sheeran?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No amps before 6pm was passed last night
    Not enforced just yet, I saw a bunch on Shop Street with amps at lunchtime
    Probably too new for them to know

Wonder what's going to happen to the fella with the hat and the backing tracks? He's awful but he bloody loves it.

Hopefully Jody will continue to perform and if the community wardens try to confiscate his gear a spontaneous citizens army will arise from the street to protect him.

Ditto for Emma the dancer ... who according to the mayor is supposed to hire live musicians to play for her every day.

Shocking out of the council ruining a great assets the city has would be more in there line to clean up the city maybe enforce dog walkers to pick up poo after their pouch’s on the prom to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The whole 'good buskers don't need amps' stuff isn't true at all. Some buskers just use an amp to save their voices when they have gigs etc, and so they can work full weeks.

Tell me that if you've lived next to a bad piper or sax player. All it means is more shouty ballads, and soon will come more brass players.

Drum kits banned entirely.

Street theatre (circle acts) banned entirely days and weekends before 6.

No dance acts (like Emma) with backing tracks, and others.

And the one about "You can't say or do anything offensive to anyone"? WTF

This is a bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

biko wrote: »
    Not enforced just yet, I saw a bunch on Shop Street with amps at lunchtime
    Probably too new for them to know

They won't come in until September apparently. The last meeting at least has to be accepted at next meeting. Not much incentive for the buskers to follow any rules now this summer, given half them will be run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd say he's unwittingly a major driving force behind the bye-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ya Jody probably was the loudest to be fair, didn't help that he was not that good!:pac:

Why not put a limit on decibel level / amp size instead of banning amps altogether?

One of my favourite things to do since I moved to Galway 11 years ago is to walk down shop street in the evening time and hear that dude playing the electric guitar playing Eric Clapton or the likes, and not loudly either. Seemed like a perfect blend of relaxing music and the calmness of shop street in the evening etc. He is one who will miss out big time now.

What started as probably an idea to stop the congestion outside Brown Thomas & River Island where bigger sized bands and acts used to get bigger crowds is now going to destroy the busking culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Hopefully Jody will continue to perform and if the community wardens try to confiscate his gear a spontaneous citizens army will arise from the street to protect him.

He is one of the reasons why these restrictions are now required. One or two numpties have ruined it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

He is one of the reasons why these restrictions are now required. One or two numpties have ruined it for everyone else.

Source?

So he will be put off the street, but Down Syndrome fiddle guy won't be, because he doesn't need an amp.

How's that fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

So he will be put off the street, but Down Syndrome fiddle guy won't be, because he doesn't need an amp.

What has his personal condition got to do with busking

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

It's not fair. It's not a good idea to legislate in this way, but it the easier and cheaper option. I would advocate an alternative involving dealing with individuals on a case by case basis.

Long-serving and more highly skilled street entertainers have tried to police the situation themselves but have been given the middle finger and told where to go by others, which leaves us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Good buskers don’t need amps.

Amps mean buskers have to stand further apart.

No amps means more space for buskers means more good buskers.

Have you ever tried playing an electric guitar without an amp? tis a sad sight

As a matter or interest, do you like music at all?

FitzShane wrote: »
    Ya Jody probably was the loudest to be fair, didn't help that he was not that good!:pac:

Why not put a limit on decibel level / amp size instead of banning amps altogether?

One of my favourite things to do since I moved to Galway 11 years ago is to walk down shop street in the evening time and hear that dude playing the electric guitar playing Eric Clapton or the likes, and not loudly either. Seemed like a perfect blend of relaxing music and the calmness of shop street in the evening etc. He is one who will miss out big time now.

What started as probably an idea to stop the congestion outside Brown Thomas & River Island where bigger sized bands and acts used to get bigger crowds is now going to destroy the busking culture.

Tony's guitar strumming is amazing and I will not stand for the stupid city council deciding he can't play anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pure.conya wrote: »
    FitzShane wrote: »

Tony's guitar strumming is amazing and I will not stand for the stupid city council deciding he can't play anymore
    What are you going to do? As a matter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have you ever tried playing an electric guitar without an amp? tis a sad sight

Electric guitars don't belong on a busking street anyway, it's all about the acoustic atmosphere.
    From what I've seen, ring performers are moving over to Eyre Square and are still drawing in the crowds.
    In my opinion busking should be a little more intimate, not loud and brash and therefore I'd like to see how the new regulations are given a chance to change the atmosphere in Galway.

How's that fair?

He’s a very talented musician, an outstanding ear for music and is pretty good at drama aswell. You should look past the superficial surface/syndrome and look at the person inside. Try talk to him next time you see him, find out his name even.......

flazio wrote: »
    Electric guitars don't belong on a busking street anyway, it's all about the acoustic atmosphere.
    From what I've seen, ring performers are moving over to Eyre Square and are still drawing in the crowds.
    In my opinion busking should be a little more intimate, not loud and brash and therefore I'd like to see how the new regulations are given a chance to change the atmosphere in Galway.

so everybody that enjoys electric guitars played on the streets of Galway are wrong and you're right? how about a bass?

• Advertisement

As a matter or interest, do you like music at all?

I have a degree in Music Technology and play the guitar and the drums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement