Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsorted

Options
  • 13-05-2018 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

There fee's seem very reasonable at 15% - what am I missing. Are there AirBnB + Cleaning fees on top of this?

Any advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Anybody know if the Airsorted, and Airbnb for that matter, fees are tax deductible?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Anybody know if the Airsorted, and Airbnb for that matter, fees are tax deductible?

TIA

Some info here

https://www.taxback.com/blog/airbnb-expenses/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

TIA

Been using them for a while now

Overall excellent service no major complaints although the commission doesn't include VAT and really adds up. PM me if you would like further details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Selik wrote: »

TIA

Been using them for a while now

Overall excellent service no major complaints although the commission doesn't include VAT and really adds up. PM me if you would like further details :)
    I persume that you can deduct the charge on your tax return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭C3PO

ted1 wrote: »
    I persume that you can deduct the charge on your tax return

I wouldn't have thought so unless you are VAT registered?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

C3PO wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so unless you are VAT registered?

No. Being VAT registered means VAT can be deducted as an input from your own VAT payments. VAT paid on deductible expenses is deductible along with the expenses.

Thanks guys very much obliged for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ckblackrock

TIA

Yes, of course, they are business expenses and doing Airbnb is a business.

There fee's seem very reasonable at 15% - what am I missing. Are there AirBnB + Cleaning fees on top of this?

Any advice most welcome.

Charges are 15% + VAT, and only includes "management", so you pay extra for cleaning and linen - which works out at around €85 for a 2 bedroom property. The great thing is that the linen is provided, you don't have to buy a stock of linen for the house, and the company they use (Premier Linen) is very good, linen is ironed with sharp creases and always looks fresh.
    So yes, it will eat big time into your profit if you are someone who has being doing the cleaning and laundry yourself, but if you are already paying someone else to clean and launder, then the management charges are well worth it. I found the biggest hassle before was finding a good laundry, the standards were very poor, had to supply own linen and had to deliver and collect the laundry from the cleaners because the logistics of getting linen collected and returned at a time that suited me was a nightmare.

So if you are not interested in spending your own time cleaning and washing, def Airsorted is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I noticed the below article, which was of interest in terms of what is and isn't allowable if you are only doing occasional letting.  Depreciation on furniture may not be allowable.  So perhaps it makes sense to lease furniture instead and expense it?
    Airbnb hosts may face greater tax bills as Revenue tightens up allowable expenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

machalla wrote: »
    I noticed the below article, which was of interest in terms of what is and isn't allowable if you are only doing occasional letting.  Depreciation on furniture may not be allowable.  So perhaps it makes sense to lease furniture instead and expense it?
    Airbnb hosts may face greater tax bills as Revenue tightens up allowable expenses

There would be the same difficulty with trying to expense it. The furniture is available for use by the owner even when there is no guest. The fact that you rent furniture rather than buy it doesn't change the nature of it. Unless there is furniture rented for every individual letting, which is returned afterwards the Revenue would disallow the rental expense.

There would be the same difficulty with trying to expense it. The furniture is available for use by the owner even when there is no guest. The fact that you rent furniture rather than buy it doesn't change the nature of it. Unless there is furniture rented for every individual letting, which is returned afterwards the Revenue would disallow the rental expense.
    Thanks for that clarification clawhammer. I thought that was a bit of an odd loophole.
    I would assume any allowable expenses are pro-rata in relation to the portions of the year the property is let.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Thanks for that clarification clawhammer. I thought that was a bit of an odd loophole.
    I would assume any allowable expenses are pro-rata in relation to the portions of the year the property is let.

what the Revenue is saying is that you would have furniture anyway. In a low volume situation they don't regard furniture as an additional expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Could be many months or even years before a working licensing system is in place. They haven't even got all stakeholders input yet. Even then enforcing it could be another problem if they don't put resources behind it. It will happen eventually of course and by the time it does we could be heading into another downturn ! My guess is something will be in place by 2020 with another few years before being fully operational.

Just to update. Been dealing with them for a couple of weeks now, they've been pretty decent at answering any questions. Has my 'onboarding' meeting today and I have to say they were brilliant. Walked me through everything, took photos etc. I'll update if/when any money starts coming in and how I got on with that side of things. They seem hopeful they can meet my expectations which is a little higher than the current top rents for the area.

Thanks for all the help and advice especially the guy who PMed me and gave me some great advice. I've done the referral for AirSorted, need to let Airbnb know as I forgot to follow the link, sorry!

Got ~€500 worth of bookings within a day of the listing going live. That's 5-6 days worth. Now I know it's peak season but if progresses like that I'll be a very happy bunny indeed! (Previous rent was €1050)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Got ~€500 worth of bookings within a day of the listing going live. That's 5-6 days worth. Now I know it's peak season but if progresses like that I'll be a very happy bunny indeed! (Previous rent was €1050)
    wow, nice result! keep us updated I'm eager to see how things go for you.

Selik wrote: »
    Could be many months or even years before a working licensing system is in place. They haven't even got all stakeholders input yet. Even then enforcing it could be another problem if they don't put resources behind it. It will happen eventually of course and by the time it does we could be heading into another downturn ! My guess is something will be in place by 2020 with another few years before being fully operational.

If the government hasn't got its act together by 2020 re. building more homes then any proposed legislation re short term lettings will be as much of a solution as fighting a forest fire by p**ssing on it.

If the government hasn't got its act together by 2020 re. building more homes then any proposed legislation re short term lettings will be as much of a solution as fighting a forest fire by p**ssing on it.

As usual though it's all about optics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Anybody know if the Airsorted

Who are Airsorted first of all ??

zom wrote: »
    Who are Airsorted first of all ??

They're an agency for Airbnb (and as it turns out other platforms) that handle the booking process, communicating with clients, keys and cleaning etc.

They're an agency for Airbnb (and as it turns out other platforms) that handle the booking process, communicating with clients, keys and cleaning etc.

Are they part of Airbnb or independent business ?

zom wrote: »
    Are they part of Airbnb or independent business ?

Independent.

Incredible how many men-in-the-middle's our property market is able to accommodate.
    But still brilliant idea for the business.

They're doing what an agency does, and a whole lot more, with a normal rental; fee is about the same too at 15%.

Fook me! I've just seen the prices the 'algorithm' has come up with for the gaffe. 29th December, that'll be €709 please. I think this is gonna need some tweeking! :pac: I had it down for €89 a night, no wonder I got booked so damn fast.

They're doing what an agency does, and a whole lot more, with a normal rental; fee is about the same too at 15%.

Having an agency is Irish model business. Very good indeed as you dont have to do much, just count the money. Make someone else create the source of income and you only make clients for it. No need for much creativity, investment or risk - perfect business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marpad

Just wondering if anyone can personally recommend any of the hosting agencies? I'm using one at the minute that I'm not happy with and want to change, I didn't get a personal recomendation last time so I would love to this time. Airsorted looks good but I was worried they would be too "corporate" and not offer a personal enough service. Then again corporate might be hassle free and professional!

• Advertisement

Found them excellent and very personable myself.

Advertisement