Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting fly fishing

Options
  • 11-05-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am quite interested in fly fishing and would like to start. I want to fish for trout on The corrib river and would like to know what equipment I will need to get me started including a rod and reel. My budget is around the €120 mark and was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction on what to buy and if ye have any advice on starting fly fishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Equipment isn’t that important. Use a 5 weight rod. The line has to be 5 weight also. The reel doesn’t matter. The leader at the end of the line should be suitable for the fly so get one from a shop for about 3 euro. Use small flies, tell the shop where u are fishing and in what month and they will give u the right flies. Maybe use some floatant on the fly, costs about 5 euro.
    Most fish are about 20 feet away from you so u don’t have to worry about long casts, try to get a lesson. Failing that watch quality videos on YouTube like tightlinesflyshop channel. If you find yourself using effort to cast u are trying too hard.
    Be quiet and look for fish rising . Try not to spook them. If you can find someone experienced to teach you it’ll save you years of frustration. If you go it alone you will have to study hundreds of YouTube videos . Most importantly, be quiet, land the fly gently, don’t cast hard and be patient. It’s not easy at the beginning but it gets easier. 120 euro is more than enough, 50 for a rod, 40 for a good line, a dozen flies and a couple of leaders. Don’t worry about spending money on a reel, buy a cheap light one. But do try to get a lesson from a good caster.

https://youtu.be/X2egNshRU2A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For your budget OP you can't go wrong with the Shakespeare Agility range of fly rods. I have one as a spare and several lads here have had nothing but good things to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Williamjg

I went into Duffys fishing and shooting today and they showed me a Shakespeare omni with a reel and line for €90 It’s 9 foot and 6 weight
    What ye think
    I’d say that’s the one I’ll buy

Williamjg wrote: »
    I went into Duffys fishing and shooting today and they showed me a Shakespeare omni with a reel and line for €90 It’s 9 foot and 6 weight
    What ye think
    I’d say that’s the one I’ll buy

https://www.mccullaghsports.ie/product/shakespeare-omni-x-fly-rod/

I wouldn't go with that one. Price sounds steep (example attached) and they would be at the lower end of that brands range. If you're ok buying online get an agility from an online store - even of amazon.

That’s cheap alright. Here’s a deal in Galway.
    http://irelandairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_18_235&products_id=835

Corrib tackle. Airflow is a good make, line, reel, rod, leader , a couple of flies and a cool pair of shades!

Really if you can get someone to teach you how to cast that’s the most important thing. Offer someone you get on with 20 or 30 quid for an hours tuition. If he can explain to you about leaders you’ll be golden.

• Advertisement

That’s cheap alright. Here’s a deal in Galway.
    http://irelandairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_18_235&products_id=835

Corrib tackle. Airflow is a good make, line, reel, rod, leader , a couple of flies and a cool pair of shades!

Really if you can get someone to teach you how to cast that’s the most important thing. Offer someone you get on with 20 or 30 quid for an hours tuition. If he can explain to you about leaders you’ll be golden.

I’ll try and get a lesson A good start is half the battle. I have watched lots of videos on YouTube so I have a fair idea on what to do but knowing and doing and very different things
    I looked on sports direct and they have a Shakespeare Agility 2 9ft 6 weight. For €75 and I’ll probably get a reel and line and flys in Galway
    I’ll ask in duffys if they know anyone who can teach me they seem to be very knowledgeable and very sound

The one Doc posted ain't bad at all. Airflo were always a decent brand. The one you mention in sport's direct too is a good option. Shakespeare do a decent reel range too - the sigma range.

Just don't buy the omni one!! :)

SeaFields wrote: »
    The one Doc posted ain't bad at all. Airflo were always a decent brand. The one you mention in sport's direct too is a good option. Shakespeare do a decent reel range too - the sigma range.

Just don't buy the omni one!! :)

I won’t get the omni. I realised it wasn’t the way value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

OMNIS ARE €45

DO NOT BUY IT FOR €90

Phew

Right get an airflo or sigma kit!

Im actually disgusted at someone charging €90 for an omni! Its actually terrible!

https://slaneyfishing.com/product/omni-fly-combo/

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    Phew

Right get an airflo or sigma kit!

Im actually disgusted at someone charging €90 for an omni! Its actually terrible!

https://slaneyfishing.com/product/omni-fly-combo/

Now they are not usually like that they are very sound and have decent prices and their shop has been there since the beginning of time

What’s better the Shakespeare sigma or Agility 2

Now they are not usually like that they are very sound and have decent prices and their shop has been there since the beginning of time

They arent??

I wont go there but I'll be hard convinced.

The agility range would be next up the ladder from the sigma range - but your starting to move away from kits and individual elements -So the kit that has rod reel line tippet etc for €(85 now becomes a rod for €60-80 a reel for €20 - 50 a line for €20 - 50 - backing, tippet, leaders etc

If you are starting out go with the sigmas I mailed you. They have a beginner price but are an excellent outfit and will last you years. Even when you want to upgrade you will find it hard to get as good without going to the €200 mark for a rod only!!

I went onto fishingtackle2u and I can get a Shakespeare Agility 2 for €50 and a reel for €15 and line for 30
    I think this is a good deal
    What do ye think

This guy knows his stuff, he runs a shop.
    https://youtu.be/r6hcH54cHpU

Not to flog a dead horse but if you get geared up but haven’t been shown how to cast a fly to land gently, your enthusiasm will probably take a nose dive. The three or four channels I’ve linked to will set you in the right direction. All the best, great day for a little evening fishing hopefully.

I went onto fishingtackle2u and I can get a Shakespeare Agility 2 for €50 and a reel for €15 and line for 30
    I think this is a good deal
    What do ye think

Did you get my mail?

Does that come with backing, tippet, leaders, flies??

You still need more than what you listed above!

The best buy are the kits when your starting out! The agility is a great rod but is middle to tip or tip action - you wont be able to cast it, or you wont be able to cast as well as the sigmas - which come with everything you need!!!

Did you get my mail?

Does that come with backing, tippet, leaders, flies??

You still need more than what you listed above!

The best buy are the kits when your starting out! The agility is a great rod but is middle to tip or tip action - you wont be able to cast it, or you wont be able to cast as well as the sigmas - which come with everything you need!!!

It has the backing and leaders and the tippet and a hard case

This guy knows his stuff, he runs a shop.
    https://youtu.be/r6hcH54cHpU

Not to flog a dead horse but if you get geared up but haven’t been shown how to cast a fly to land gently, your enthusiasm will probably take a nose dive. The three or four channels I’ve linked to will set you in the right direction. All the best, great day for a little evening fishing hopefully.

Thanks doc. I’ll give them a want and hopefully I will buy a set up on Saturday (but still unsure on what set up ) I’m also wondering what pound leader would you recommend

I’m also wondering what pound leader would you recommend

You will need several different breaking strains. In the short term if it's just small brownies you're after then maybe 4-5 lb breaking strain. Personally I use Drennan Sub Surface. As you progress you'll end up with several different ones. They are relatively cheap so you can build up a collection over time. They last ages too.

I think I’ll buy the stuff today so this is what I think is on the plate
    1. Shakespeare Agility 2 9ft 6 wt. €55
    2. Shakespeare omni 6/7 wt reel €15
    3. Orvis Dracon backing 20lb. 100yards €8
    4. airflo velocity fly line 6wt rear taper. €20
    5. Hardy 9ft tapered leaders 5lb €5
    I will buy the flys locally because they probably know what works on the local trout
    I’m buying all this from fishingtackle2u.co.uk and just want your opinions and if I’m buying the right stuff

• Advertisement

Your spending €103 on the following

A rod thats above your ability
    The ****test reel imaginable
    a load of different style and manufacturers gear that although will work - doesnt match.

When you could buy a completely fitted outfit that better suits your ability for around €20 less.

Look your obviously set on the above - its good gear - all that matters is your happy! Just would be what I would do, or recommend!

Best of luck with it - tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Your spending €103 on the following

A rod thats above your ability
    The ****test reel imaginable
    a load of different style and manufacturers gear that although will work - doesnt match.

When you could buy a completely fitted outfit that better suits your ability for around €20 less.

Look your obviously set on the above - its good gear - all that matters is your happy! Just would be what I would do, or recommend!

Best of luck with it - tight lines!

Don’t worry, the rod is not above your ability, load of crap there Ardinn. You’re better off having something that you’re not going to outgrow after 2 lessons.

The reel is sh1te but it’s not going to matter, you won’t be trying to subdue double figure salmon for at least a couple of months!

Don’t worry in the slightest about the gear being different brands, doesn’t make a blind but if difference unless you suffer from OCD.

You have a decent package there I’d say but add in a spool of good monofilament, 5lb drennan or maxima will do you depending on where you plan to fish.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Don’t worry, the rod is not above your ability, load of crap there Ardinn. You’re better off having something that you’re not going to outgrow after 2 lessons.

The reel is sh1te but it’s not going to matter, you won’t be trying to subdue double figure salmon for at least a couple of months!

Don’t worry in the slightest about the gear being different brands, doesn’t make a blind but if difference unless you suffer from OCD.

You have a decent package there I’d say but add in a spool of good monofilament, 5lb drennan or maxima will do you depending on where you plan to fish.

Thanks man for giving me faith in what I’m about to buy. It’s in my budget to spend more on a reel and I need to spend like 7 Euro more for free shipping anyway so I could trough another €10 or so at the reel and add the monofilament as well
    Thanks for the help

What about a Shakespeare sigma 5/6 wt reel for

€28

Not sure how a rod for someone starting out could be considered 'above their ability' - it's the standard length and weight that we probably all started with.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    load of crap there Ardinn. You’re better off having something that you’re not going to outgrow after 2 lessons.

No not a load of crap - But a good point about outgrowing the rod, although the kits are quite good and will hold their own for more than 2 lessons thats for sure
    SeaFields wrote: »
    Not sure how a rod for someone starting out could be considered 'above their ability' - it's the standard length and weight that we probably all started with.

Yes sorry I worded that wrong.

My point is - the agility, is more tip action than the sigma - when starting - you need as moderate and forgiving a rod as you can get. The sigma, meets this requirement moreso than the agility.

That was my only point - No need to get all in a fluff!! He came in here asking whats best for him. Imo thats the sigma, more than the agility!!!

No not a load of crap - But a good point about outgrowing the rod, although the kits are quite good and will hold their own for more than 2 lessons thats for sure

Yes sorry I worded that wrong.

My point is - the agility, is more tip action than the sigma - when starting - you need as moderate and forgiving a rod as you can get. The sigma, meets this requirement moreso than the agility.

That was my only point - No need to get all in a fluff!! He came in here asking whats best for him. Imo thats the sigma, more than the agility!!!

You are damn right, the more forgiving the better. Certainly not a load of crap. Keep things as simple as possible coz they get technical pretty quick, especially if one has an o.c.d tendency to be a gear junky! 🀯 I’m watching Tom RosenBauer of Orvis fishing dry flies and Emergers. He makes it look so simple.
    OP make sure the line matches the rod, the leader is the right type and the fly matches the hatch, or at least the guy catching the fish! I’ll paste the YouTube video here in a sec, it’s a beauty.
    https://youtu.be/m37uzf7cVYA

Check out 16.10 theres 3 beauties at his feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Not disagreeing with whats been said already but once you have a year or two of experience you'll tailor your experience to your preferences. A 5/6 weight rod is a great start but I haven't used one on anything but a lake in several years, even there preferring lighter kit when I'm allowed fish it. For smaller rivers especially, you'll find that a 5/6 rod is the fly fishing equivalent of using a lump hammer to drive nails - it will absolutely do the job but there are more appropriate tools. That said, a very good friend uses an Agility2 #6 for all his river fishing and is uncomfortable using anything lighter so, horses for courses.

• Advertisement

I have bought all the gear online and awaiting delivery and while that’s enroute I just have a few questions
    Would my 6wt rod be able for salmon if I was to try and get a license next year
    Should I use wet or dry flies when fishing for trout in the River Corrib and would I need a net to land the trout
    And if there are any usuals to the River Corrib would you be able to recommend any spots that are good for trout fishing

Advertisement