Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do in your school?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Most schools are running on a handful of posts even still with the new circular.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Unfortunately "Posts " are a big THANK YOU to the boys in some schools,the in crowd,as chosen by some old nun or some effin octogenarian ETB sympathiser who retired 20 years ago .......but never went away you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sheeps101

Do these 10 minutes for the teacher come out of his/her 21 hrs 20 minutes or is it regarded as an extra time for the teacher?

Cant imagine it being very good if the teacher was off first class on any given day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sheeps101 wrote: »
    Do these 10 minutes for the teacher come out of his/her 21 hrs 20 minutes or is it regarded as an extra time for the teacher?

Cant imagine it being very good if the teacher was off first class on any given day.

Yes it comes out of our 21h20 in my school. We are allowed nominate someone to do our tutor time one day per week if we start late and they can count that time off S&S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A lot of schools have tutor time 3 mornings then year assembly 1 morning. Then assign 6th year student leaders to another morning. So the year head can ask which tutors have a free class in the morning to put the 6th years and assembly day on.

The days of any classes off are coming to an end going by our workload and timetable and s&s etc. Most of the time when I've a free period in the morning I use it to catch up on stuff when the staff room is quiet and the photocopier is free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yup. 40 mins off.
    It's a form of teaching in my books.
    Ya put it down as a mindfulness class there... whatever, tell inspectors they'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sheeps101

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me to be fair. Year heads are getting enough extra wedge to compensate for the extra paper work during their extra 5 classes off a week.

Id much rather a normal class to teach than that nonsense 4/5 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

do you reckon yer heads are getting enough back? What is it, an extra 8k? Which FEMPI takes a wedge from as well.

I'm in a school of over 1,000. They are constantly dealing with incidents,
    calming parents down and just dealing with stress non-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

do you reckon yer heads are getting enough back? What is it, an extra 8k? Which FEMPI takes a wedge from as well.

I'm in a school of over 1,000. They are constantly dealing with incidents,
    calming parents down and just dealing with stress non-stop.

Much more appealing in the etb sector with the 4 hour reduction in timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me to be fair. Year heads are getting enough extra wedge to compensate for the extra paper work during their extra 5 classes off a week.

Id much rather a normal class to teach than that nonsense 4/5 times a week.

Year heads and all post holders in my school do not get even one class off, classes off for posts only applies in ETB schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

solerina wrote: »
    Year heads and all post holders in my school do not get even one class off, classes off for posts only applies in ETB schools.

In ETB schools they are usually more than a year head also. There is usually yearhead and then another significant responsibility along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

solerina wrote:

Not true. Community schools also get the time off. Vol Sec schools are not obligated to be given time off but some do. Community schools and Community College are not given extra time it comes out of the allocation so all schools should be able to give the time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Terri26 wrote: »
    Not true. Community schools also get the time off. Vol Sec schools are not obligated to be given time off but some do. Community schools and Community College are not given extra time it comes out of the allocation so all schools should be able to give the time off.

I think it comes down to an agreement with the TUI, normally ASTI schools which were predominantly ASTI don’t get any time off.

Advertisement