Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Italy Chicago November 3rd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

errlloyd wrote: »
    He was an unused substitute in soldier field. Which must be a real sickener.

But it's bound to be a future table quiz question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

errlloyd wrote: »
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Mind you it’s hard to believe he’s only had 14 caps, seems like he’s been around a lot longer.

He was an unused substitute in soldier field. Which must be a real sickener.

To think that when we beat NZ in 2016, Ringrose, Ryan, Stockdale, Porter and Larmour were all uncapped and Carbery was making his debut. Three of those players are first choice players and the other three are game changing bench players. We've come a long way in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Unfortunately I don’t think Italy will focus too much attention on this game. They will simply not want to lose to Georgia the following week and that is where they will be concentrating their efforts.

I'm really struggling with the idea of this game.

We're sending a second string team and Italy are sending a second string team over 3000 miles to play in what looks like a relatively empty stadium.

I appreciate there is an effort afoot to grow the game and I understand we may have made commitments for support for the World cup 2023 campaign, but it seems like an awful lot to do about nothing.

I suppose at the very least it will give guys a bit of a feel for travelling long distances this early in the season for an international fixture - but why not go and play Japan if that's the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

There's definitely quite a lot of tickets remaining...

464932.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm really struggling with the idea of this game.

We're sending a second string team and Italy are sending a second string team over 3000 miles to play in what looks like a relatively empty stadium.

I appreciate there is an effort afoot to grow the game and I understand we may have made commitments for support for the World cup 2023 campaign, but it seems like an awful lot to do about nothing.

I suppose at the very least it will give guys a bit of a feel for travelling long distances this early in the season for an international fixture - but why not go and play Japan if that's the case!

It has been alleged that IRFU are getting a million dollars for it. I'm skeptical that it's that high but there is no doubt that this game is happening for financial reasons and nothing else.

We'll see a few of the fringe lads get a run against a Tier 3 side and learn absolutely nothing.

It has been alleged that IRFU are getting a million dollars for it. I'm skeptical that it's that high but there is no doubt that this game is happening for financial reasons and nothing else.

We'll see a few of the fringe lads get a run against a Tier 3 side and learn absolutely nothing.

So you're saying this is Conor Murray's fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This looks like a bust for the organisers. USA vs Australia 2015 only got 20-25k in Soldier Field. New Zealand have sold out twice. A good example of how big that brand is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This looks like a bust for the organisers. USA vs Australia 2015 only got 20-25k in Soldier Field. New Zealand have sold out twice. A good example of how big that brand is.

The amount of Irish which travelled for the NZ game was fairly incredible. The majority of my mates flew Aerlingus and the planes where all full....

I flew via heathrow and didn't expect to see many Irish. The plane was full of people going to the game, we took off and the pilot came on to welcome all the Irish fans onto the plane...... All the pubs in Chicago where full of Irish and no matter what part of the town you went to you met Irish

mind you we ended up with a few canadians who had travelled down to see NZ play so a few like that as well...

The draw for Italy from Ireland will be poor because we play every season. SA or Australia or someone like that would have been better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The amount of Irish which travelled for the NZ game was fairly incredible. The majority of my mates flew Aerlingus and the planes where all full....

I flew via heathrow and didn't expect to see many Irish. The plane was full of people going to the game, we took off and the pilot came on to welcome all the Irish fans onto the plane...... All the pubs in Chicago where full of Irish and no matter what part of the town you went to you met Irish

mind you we ended up with a few canadians who had travelled down to see NZ play so a few like that as well...

The draw for Italy from Ireland will be poor because we play every season. SA or Australia or someone like that would have been better

I'm travelling over for this one, I suspect I'm the only one!

• Advertisement

I'm travelling over for this one, I suspect I'm the only one!

sole-passenger.jpg

So you're saying this is Conor Murray's fault?

I was blaming Zebo but I could be persuaded otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Who from the coaching ticket didn’t travel?
    Wonder who is taking training in Carton House this week?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Who from the coaching ticket didn’t travel?
    Wonder who is taking training in Carton House this week?

Well two of the 16 left behind are gone to SA with Munster. I'd say either a down week or training with their provinces.

Well two of the 16 left behind are gone to SA with Munster. I'd say either a down week or training with their provinces.

Ethel will be kicking coach with Sexton for the week...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Must be a down week so.
    Can’t be many left at Leinster either.

A few of those not selected might be released back to their provinces...not Sexton but maybe guys like Herring and McCloskey at Ulster. To be fair Best could do with another game to sharpen up his darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

The handicap is currently around 27 points - if this really is an Italian second team (I don’t recognise many of their players), I could see that drifting out more when the Irish team is announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eir Sport To Show Ireland Vs Italy For Free On YouTube
    https://www.balls.ie/rugby/watch-ireland-vs-italy-chicago-399853

• Advertisement

Eir Sport To Show Ireland Vs Italy For Free On YouTube
    https://www.balls.ie/rugby/watch-ireland-vs-italy-chicago-399853

That's because nobody is willing to pay for it...

Gives them a chance to advertise their service.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's because nobody is willing to pay for it...

Gives them a chance to advertise their service.....

Not unusual at all for a pay TV service to do this once in a while regardless of subscriptions. Sky used unscramble their channels for a weekend once a year for a long time when they were the only show in town despite having the market cornered.

I'd imagine Eir's television service is doing ok at this point relative to their length of time in the market. There's a strong case for them having the best sports package for the average Irish sports fan.

Buer wrote: »
    Not unusual at all for a pay TV service to do this once in a while regardless of subscriptions. Sky used unscramble their channels for a weekend once a year for a long time when they were the only show in town despite having the market cornered.

I'd imagine Eir's television service is doing ok at this point relative to their length of time in the market. There's a strong case for them having the best sports package for the average Irish sports fan.

I have Eir :-) I bought it for the Pro Rugby and find it a great service. What I hoped Sky would do with it....

I just don't see anyone buying Eir to watch this game. So to get numbers up and show off what they can do it is better to fire out a "free" game...

I think C4 might have the game as well? or am I going mad?

I got Eir at no extra cost to my previous broadband/mobile packages so I'm a happy customer.

Buer wrote: »

I have Eir :-) I bought it for the Pro Rugby and find it a great service. What I hoped Sky would do with it....

I just don't see anyone buying Eir to watch this game. So to get numbers up and show off what they can do it is better to fire out a "free" game...

I think C4 might have the game as well? or am I going mad?

Channel 4 have rights to the 3 games in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I got Eir at no extra cost to my previous broadband/mobile packages so I'm a happy customer.

I just switched from Sky to Eir.

55e per month for Fibre (ish), phone, TV (with HD Package). Includes Eirsport and BT Sport and a load of other channels I'll never watch. It's actually a great deal for rugby fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hopefully you won't ever have to talk to their customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Kiith wrote: »
    Hopefully you won't ever have to talk to their customer service.

ha plus one onto their so called business team for last week and they are painful , they are going to get a kick up the hole when virgin media offers commercial business sports including sky in November

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    ha plus one onto their so called business team for last week and they are painful , they are going to get a kick up the hole when virgin media offers commercial business sports including sky in November

Virgin TV is terrible, the box is terrible and the service is terrible

They have good internet.

Virgin TV is terrible, the box is terrible and the service is terrible

They have good internet.

yep they are coming in at alot cheaper than sky though so will rattle the market

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    yep they are coming in at alot cheaper than sky though so will rattle the market

Not for the users of this forum unless they start carrying Eir.

• Advertisement

Not for the users of this forum unless they start carrying Eir.

talking commercial business

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Says a lot about how seriously Ireland are treating this match that Schmidt didn't fly out with the team and joined them a few days later. Bit of a joke fixture at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bilston wrote: »
    To think that when we beat NZ in 2016, Ringrose, Ryan, Stockdale, Porter and Larmour were all uncapped and Carbery was making his debut. Three of those players are first choice players and the other three are game changing bench players. We've come a long way in 2 years.

Professional sport moves fast.

To look at it from the other side of the coin. Of the 23 that lined out in Chicago:

Trimble, Payne and Heaslip are all retired Zebo and D Ryan are unavailable for selection

Ireland (possible):
    J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Carbery, L McGrath;
    J McGrath, N Scannell, A Porter; T Beirne, Q Roux; R Ruddock, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Per IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ireland (possible):
    J McGrath, N Scannell, A Porter; T Beirne, Q Roux; R Ruddock, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Per IT.

Not a lot of options in the lineout there, does Roux even jump for Connacht? Ruddock or Conan at 2 but does Beirne ever jump at 4? Seems a bit small to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Would not want to be lifting Ruddock at 2, I'd really hope they're looking at Beirne there, he should be great for it. If he doesn't do it already then there's no time like the present.

Jack McGrath the old man on the pitch at 29.

Incredibly young team and still plenty of proven quality.

Most pointless match Ireland have been involved with for a long time, the competition for jerseys will drive performance far more than the fixture will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ireland (possible):

Per IT.

Not a lot of options in the lineout there, does Roux even jump for Connacht? Ruddock or Conan at 2 but does Beirne ever jump at 4? Seems a bit small to me.

Both Roux and Beirne are same height as Paul O’Connell, 6 foot 6 inches, or 1.98metres.
    Why is that too small?
    Maro Itoje is 6 foot 5 inches, for comparison.
    Incidentally, both Italian locks are the same height as ours, and their benching lock also, so no advantage there to either team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

roux does jump. He might call it for them too i think.

Would people agree that if this selection is accurate then Larmour is second choice full back to Kearney?

I've been impressed by the fundamentals of Larmours full back play at times this season, he has an advantage over Conway in that he spends all his time in camp with Kearney, but Conway has more game time in general and certainly more at fullback.

Roux being selected to me is more about resting Toner, Henderson and Ryan than it is about giving Roux minutes but maybe that's a bit unfair.

Aki Ringrose - worked extremely well during the six nations so keen to see some more of this.

9, 10, 12, 13 all significant individual threats and all have good hands, should be exciting to watch.

Going to be a tough day for the Italians I reckon. Ireland by 30+

• Advertisement

Ruddock is good at lineout, Conan is a good options as well

So is Beirne, Roux jumps....

Van Der Flier has been known to stand in line out

You have to remember....on the TV they all all shrunk :p

Would people agree that if this selection is accurate then Larmour is second choice full back to Kearney?

I've been impressed by the fundamentals of Larmours full back play at times this season, he has an advantage over Conway in that he spends all his time in camp with Kearney, but Conway has more game time in general and certainly more at fullback.

Roux being selected to me is more about resting Toner, Henderson and Ryan than it is about giving Roux minutes but maybe that's a bit unfair.

Aki Ringrose - worked extremely well during the six nations so keen to see some more of this.

9, 10, 12, 13 all significant individual threats and all have good hands, should be exciting to watch.

Going to be a tough day for the Italians I reckon. Ireland by 30+

I think the sample size for the Larmour Conway fullback debate is still too small. I think playing Larmour at 15 is more a fact finding mission than a solid show that he's second choice 15.

Given Larmour covers centre also, he's the front runner for every 23 shirt when everyone is fit. Could be looked at exposing him to fullback more as another string to his bow when he needs to fill in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I think the sample size for the Larmour Conway fullback debate is still too small. I think playing Larmour at 15 is more a fact finding mission than a solid show that he's second choice 15.

Given Larmour covers centre also, he's the front runner for every 23 shirt when everyone is fit. Could be looked at exposing him to fullback more as another string to his bow when he needs to fill in

Adison might be in the mix for that shirt. As far as i know he has a more legitimate claim at versitility than Larmour. Admittedly we'll know more about that debate once joe has had a good look at him in camp.

Larmour is the back up 15 for Leinster and will be for Ireland. He just needs time in the position. Really he should nail his position down now or he will get moved around. In the Toulouse match he got caught out of position a few times but understandable as he has been playing wing....

Lancaster a few times has discussed Larmour at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Is the team being announced today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Heymans wrote: »

Probably tomorrow.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a private school bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    Probably tomorrow.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a private school bellend.

Insider knowledge from all your south dublin private school connections it must be :cool:

I'd imagine it'll be tomorrow lunch time so anywhere between 12-3 unless they announce it earlier.

Heymans wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Read a mention in the Irish Times that the team against New Zealand will be named at 1pm on the Thursday preceding the match,
    So I would guess that the team to face Italy will be announced today around 1pm too.

• Advertisement

Insider knowledge from all your south dublin private school connections it must be :cool:

I'd imagine it'll be tomorrow lunch time so anywhere between 12-3 unless they announce it earlier.

Pretty sure for Internationals you must have the team announced at least 2 days before the fixture

Advertisement