Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a coffee for those who dislike coffee?

Options
  • 04-05-2018 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, not here to troll.

Never was a coffee drinker, as found the taste ick, but was only ever given Nescafe, or Nescafe coffees. Used to drink tea, but since going off the milk (milk here in Canada tastes odd), I don't drink it).

But I'm wondering if there's any "other" coffees, in the way that tea is usually only the likes of Barrys or Lyons, but there are green teas available (does green coffee exist, and is there caffeine in it?).

So, I'm looking for coffee that doesn't taste like the usual coffee. It'll be drank black, so not looking to mask the taste of coffee by adding random stuff such as milk into it; Google brings up stuff I can add to coffee to mask it's taste.

I'm based in Toronto, so may have a larger amount of strains available to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

the_syco wrote: »

Never was a coffee drinker, as found the taste ick, but was only ever given Nescafe, or Nescafe coffees. Used to drink tea, but since going off the milk (milk here in Canada tastes odd), I don't drink it).

But I'm wondering if there's any "other" coffees, in the way that tea is usually only the likes of Barrys or Lyons, but there are green teas available (does green coffee exist, and is there caffeine in it?).

So, I'm looking for coffee that doesn't taste like the usual coffee. It'll be drank black, so not looking to mask the taste of coffee by adding random stuff such as milk into it; Google brings up stuff I can add to coffee to mask it's taste.

Try a latte or a flat white in your local coffee shop sycho and sugar it to your preference taste.they are a fine drink and mostly milk.

Actually just saw you don’t want milk sorry half asleep.try an americano maybe and throw in a shot of syrup caramel is alright they have the bottles at the till

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Try cold brew.

You may enjoy fruitier beans such as Ethiopian beans. Look for tasting notes of citrus or fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

You could maybe try Chai Latte ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

def look into cold brew - youtube has some great tips for coldbrew

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I recommend you seek out one of, or the best coffee shop in Toronto and have a chat with the barista about your prediciment. A pour over brew perhaps using a v60 is a good pls e to start.

I'll have a look at cafes in your locality...

Keep us posted anyway.

Edit: found a good starting point for you. Here you go. Happy hunting. Also, Toronto looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bobzmaglobz

the_syco wrote: »

You could try the new matcha green latte. Most cool cafes serve it now and it gives it a lovely flavour. Failing that, you can also buy flavoured drops to add to black coffee. I got some from the My Protein website. They sell them for fitness fanatics but they work really well as an added sweetner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Try coffee with a dash of cream rather than milk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tea?

Tea?

Someone didn't bother reading the post

• Registered Users Posts: 4 miaramaciotti

If you don't like regular coffee, you might like a specialty coffee blend. Some roasters offer lighter roasts or mixes with distinct flavor characteristics, such as fruit or chocolate, that may appeal to people who dislike the traditional coffee flavor. Additionally, certain Toronto coffee shops may offer cold brew or nitro coffee, which have a smoother flavor profile. If you want to try green coffee, it is available and does contain caffeine, although the flavor profile can change significantly from that of typical coffee. I hope this helps, and have fun exploring coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Mocha is the gateway drug to coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, this thread is five years old...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they clearly woke up and smelled some very stale coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Am happy for the comment of the coffees, though. Back in Ireland now, and drink energy drinks, as tea just doesn't give me much caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Ignore didn't see twas a zombie

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah here, the zombie look is just me pre-caffeine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Still , an educational thread …I’d disagree with most of previous posters and say get into pour over coffee , practice your technique on moderately priced beans you grind yourself and graduate to expensive beans and prepare to be in heaven .Cup I’ve just finished tastes more like peach water to me than ‘coffee’ …Come on now , be honest , if you’re diluting your ‘coffee’ in frothy milk your drinking a ‘Baby-chino’ not the fruits of the labour of those clever Colombians etc

I guess it’s a bit like comparing cocktails with neat whiskey ….genuine espresso fans must be ‘cask strength ‘ /60% lovers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

hang on a minute - I've a decent collection of single malts from all sorts of distilleries, all sorts of strengths and finishes, and I also love cocktails.

Comparing well made cocktails to "babycinos" is pretty ignorant imo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't even like milky coffees and I thought the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

The simplest solution here seems to be to find decent milk! Were you buying UHT? Make sure you are buying the fresh stuff. Then buy full fat or low fat depending on what you are used to. Once you've done that, there's no reason your tea shouldn't taste like it doesn't in Ireland.

To directly answer your question, I've always regarded American style coffee as coffee for people who dislike coffee. Go into a dunkin donuts and ask for a regular coffee. It is very mild, to the point you can hardly taste the coffee. They add some kind of milk/cream combo that the Americans love and a bit of sugar/sweetener. It ends up looking and tasting more like an Irish style cup of tea than a coffee you would get in Italy or Turkey (i.e. traditional coffee drinking countries). It's the same stuff you get in American diners when they come around with the pot to top you up. It's not the same as Americano that you get in coffee shops here which is considerably stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Sorry to revive the thread but I heard a tip today and this thread popped into my mind.

They said that if you add just a pinch of salt to coffee it can make it more palatable. Apparently it's a fairly common thing but I'd never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

You won’t make cocktails with Single Malt though. Normally it is with the cheapest bourbon/whisky available. He has a point, you not making latte with expensive beans , it just very wasteful. You only could dilute good coffee with water ( same goes for good whisky).

ps.I like whisky too , mostly Scotch, laphroaig and talisker are my favourites.

You can’t beat whisky sour as cocktail though :)

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alexago

I think you need to try various coffee brands from different countries. I personally drink coffee only from Ethiopia and Kenya.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Personally, I REALLY dislike naturally processed coffees. To the point where I won't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hopefully OP has managed to discover decent tea to drink black in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

Maxwell House, coffee for the chocolate drinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

The feck off answer would be "Mellow Birds". :)

But if you have had nescafe instant, a good black coffee is quite a different beast.

I would suggest that if there are other coffee drinkers with you, buy a nespresso machine. This will come with a variety box. Try them black with or without sugar and see if there's one you like.

I like coffee. I'd rather drink tap water than drink instant coffee as it simply has a taste that is substantially removed from ground coffee.

Advertisement