Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

From a tax dodger...who took a massive wedge of cash during COVID to put on his stupid panto...did it once...recorded it and sold tickets...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I wouldn't take Hughes' opinion on it any more than the man on the moon's.

But it's funny how certain posters were so eager to shoot down anyone who suggested TSTM was a disaster waiting to happen, and to "wait until we see what the show is like" type guff. Turns out it was the disaster a lot of people seemed to think it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RoTelly

True but when you think the DG has to come out to defend it by throwing out the following arguments

1. Turning a commercial risk into a public service
    2. Think of the Children : Diverting criticisms of RTÉ management to the hope of a success for the performs and the crew

And then she has the nerve of ....

Comparing RTÉ to the BBC ...

Something we are told we shouldn't do!

While the BBC (and other broadcasters) has developed many live shows based on some of its big TV properties (eg, Top GearStrictly Come DancingDr Who), this new show, developed over the past few years, is a new departure for RTÉ.

Next RTÉ will have the live show of DWTS ... or would that be the BBC ...?

It is now the 17th of December ... perhaps ticket sales will pick up.

RTÉ SUPPORTING THE ARTS.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

To all who post in this thread down the years, a big thank you. It's been more entertaining then anything RTE has put on a screen.

One thing though, I cant believe y'all thought a man would get the job as the new Chair. RTE like the rest of the public sector has been proudly boasting of its sexist "diversity" hiring.

Remember one of Dee Forbes first actions in RTE was to immediately kick all the men off the six one. Very much jobs for the girls since Moya Doherty took the chair in 2014.

Heck even all the independent productions RTE buy in get 50K in additional funding for featuring a female lead, courtesy the taxpayer via Screen Ireland.

Just another day in the patriarchy lads

Post edited by purifol0 on

Why do you think David McRedmond busied himself with such things in An Post where 75% of the staff are men? He's getting ready for the big job in RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've even noticed how feminist their book awards are, with nearly all of them going to women. The industry is general is going that way too, with females being front and center. If you didn't know any better you'd think that men stopped writing all together. Saying that, even the trendy male writers that you here about in Ireland are shite in my view, so maybe there's some truth to the decline of the male writer.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Ahahahahahah

https://www.anpost.com/getmedia/a4b955c7-217c-4fd5-8c51-aa9a9b952151/Gender-Pay-Gap-Report-2021.pdf

Front cover: "women leaders for the future" picture of woman on zoom call with nothing but other female managers.

Actual An Post workers - they can be all male of course. Not pictured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The really sickner with this stuff is the self back patting, all while An Post were running a terrible ship, sending mass amounts of mail back from non EU countries for months and months. They tried blaming others too, even though no matter how hard people tried to comply with their standards, they still had their packages returned. They never once accepted blame for any of it, and RTE and other outlets ran cover stories for them, reporting everything from An Post's perspective and not all the people and businesses who were suffering because of it. They too seem to have a policy of purposefully over taxing the few packages that were actually getting through, making you have to chase them down for the difference, which you may or may not get. I had several claims with them and they eventually just stop responding to me.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

In fairness to McRedmond he is a master of PR, he was head of PR at eircom PLC never answering a question and nearly always on SIX ONE news, constantly gave out about the license fee that RTÉ had even though Doherty Hanson had paid over the odds for TV3 (265m) and ended up selling to VMTV for 80m, along with a repurchase of loads costing the Irish tax payer at least 80m AFAIR. He was touted as the next DG before they choose Dee Forbes, and IMO he sees the important of feigning an interesting in the gender politic, I'd not be surprised if he is in the running for DG this time round, his father after all argued against the establishment of RTÉ2 in the 1970s!

______

Yesterday

Great summation!

Now back to the mundane every day preaching of our betters in....2FM.

So there I was flicking stations in the car when I hear two ladies on 2FM remind us all that while RTE will be covering the world cup, we must all be mindful that 6,500 migrant workers died building the stadiums and Qatar treats woman poorly.

Uhuh. So yiz want the moral highground of comdemning it, while getting the €€€€ for covering it.

Also can't help thinking that if all the "migrant workers" were female and 6,500 died building the stadium, our national broadcaster would have slightly more than virtue signalling lip service paid to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So 5 stagings of the toy show musical have been cancelled due to 'illness'.

How convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have half the cast and crew come down with it? Feeble excuse

Yep, seems to me like they are pushing people to later showing to boost the audience. I have yet to find many reviews of the show though its been going for the last 6 days.

Of the three or so actual reviews, 1 I think is supect, 1 was wowful and 1 was wonderful

The rest are all media luvvies.

______

Yesterday

It still very few reports on the musical itself.

But going on that you'd wonder who the production company are.

I'd like to see a few good, bad and mediocre reviews, I have read about 5 now. I wonder if the adult cast had been better would it have in proved the show, from that review the storyline isn't up to much.

______

Yesterday

IT reviewer gave it 2/5 and summed up the review by essentially saying it's an exercise is RTE believing the TS is actually much more important than it is*

*Paraphrasing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Considering the money they splurged on the Toy Show Musical, and then looking at the programs they've been advertising for Xmas this year...

I'd say someone should be fired, but... it's RTe.

Alright Happy Christmas all and happy new year.

So if any of the hard working presenters in RTÉ ever talk about work life balance and how difficult that can be, remember:-

They get paid enough money to live close to where the work if they want. (In the most expensive part of Dublin)

They get paid enough money for child care and good child care if they really want.

Their holidays are really good

Tubs - 39days

C Byrne - 42days

Tubs - 50days

C Byrne - 34days (she may have more to come before the Christmas)

Includes the Few Fridays and Mondays they are on the Box, just relates to their Radio shows.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Dunno if it's old but seems two more cancelled shows.

Is sick code for no one going ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"Christmas the way we were"on now... Was it necessary to have all of these shytalkers like Duffy, Lynch and Rogers giving their spake on the old footage which would have been interesting enough on its own without their useless uninteresting smirking knowall input

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for your concern.

Rolling in the aisles here in Casa Elperello enjoying a cracker of a Christmas prog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

From a Journal article about the RTE player

RTÉ Player “delivered its highest concurrent audiences ever, with a total of 8.5 million streams and 1.8 million unique devices”,

So nearly 5 people watched it per every single device - ok...

Or what they don't tell you is viewers only managed to watch a few minutes before the stream broke, restarted followed by 3 minutes of ads, 2 minutes of stream, crash and restart again, 3 minutes of ads (repeat a few more times) and then said I've had enough

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah I read that article too and it stinks of ‘it’s not us, it’s you’

• Advertisement

The Full Irish Hidden Camera Show must have been the highlight of your year :)

Also wasn't they way we were not a repeat?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement