Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RoTelly

More of an issue with MNL considering that CB does a radio 5 days a week, why should they make allowances?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

By all accounts, they're more involved in the production of the show-including the research. So them not being able to do the news, and host this show is more about the research and production that goes into it.

Claire Byrne doing radio 5 times a week, well...radio is far less demanding. Much of the production is done by the crew behind the scenes. There's also less 'choreography' that goes into radio. On TV, it's almost like choreographing a play. You need to be there for rehearsals, staging and so on.

Radio, it's sit in a chair for a few hours, speak to people over the phone, less arranging guests because they'll be on the phone. Ryan Tubridy does his show 5 times a week, and then the LLS on Friday. Only allowances he gets is being rubbish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

This Thursday night, RTÉ is showing a drama production called 'Mustard' - and I won't be watching it. When I saw the trailer for it, I felt nauseous. Why anyone in RTÉ thought of this unadulterated crap as being worthy of licence-fee money is beyond my comprehension.

https://www.screenireland.ie/news/rte-and-screen-ireland-announce-the-eight-storyland-projects-which-will-now-go-into-development

The above are the list of films that RTE will be airing- Storyland, a 'launching ground' for new talent...

Except look at man of the names, such as Simon Delaney-hardly 'new' talent. And can anyone name a single 'talent' unearthed by Storyland?

In its 15 or so years ... Harry Bucks ... who'd really already had a following on social media.

Storyland is a wasteland. Of the eight on three went into production.

Interestingly GOODNIGHT GIRL had already been given development funding via "Virgin Media Discovers..." scheme also co-funded by SÉ/FI

Anyone remember the 6 or so "comedies" that RTÉ co-produced with SÉ/FI as part of a set of piolots ... one of which went missing and was replaced ... the one that went missing was The Southwesterlies ... but none of the others from the scheme went anywhere ... though I am sure they will after 2 years and no promotion soon get a full 6 part series! well maybe not.

It’s very exciting to bring commissioned drama back to RTÉ2 in the shape of a new supersized Storyland with three new single dramas for the autumn.

Much like TLLS RTÉ has large rested RTÉ2 causing viewers to depart in droves but we will always suggest that such losses are due to all those fantastic RTÉ Player Originals that everyone talks about .... before getting an airing on RTÉ2 ... because well everyone was talking about them ... right?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

So no potential for a Sunday Night Drama or a Netflix series.

Each of those who got development should no largely be ready for production, I wonder if any will sell to any international service?

______

Yesterday

That's the general issue RTE have - their stuff doesn't sell internationally. I saw that The South Westerlies was aired somewhere else besides RTE.

But as for recouping it's costs... I doubt TSW did. I think I watched 2 episodes, and noped out afterwards. It wasn't just bad, it was comedically bad.

RTÉ have 4 forms of Drama

In House Soap - Fair City

Commission - Very limited you have to largely go back to Can't Cope Won't Cope for a full commission

Co-Productions - these can been divided into 2 - Local Irish commissions with Irish Film Board and international co-pros with the likes of Scani companies

International Productions - e.g. shows produced by BBC, Disney, AMC and so on.

The first 2 don't have to be sold but I would

1. Create a space for writers and actors, reduce FC to 2 nights a week and bring in 3 weekly dramas, that may or may not be renew come the end of the year
    2. Commission programming for an Irish Audience, these might be lucky to get funding from other sources but in general these should be about cultivating talent in the country, retaining talent, giving opportunities to actors, directors, writers. The can still be considered "Home produced" if they get some funding from the IFB or the BAI.
    3. Continue with Co-productons like KIN and North Sea Connection
    4. and Buy in shows like Normal People

Thus you might create an environment for better drama and scripted comedy. You may not have 3 or 4 in a few years time.

______

Yesterday

So the 3 dramas for Storyland are

Mustard (and yeah the trailer is off putting)

Balor Hall (a who dunnit)

and Every Five Miles (a drama about human trafficing in Ireland)

According to the report on the RTÉ site "There was an unprecedented number of Storyland applications this year ..." but they still managed to give money for development for a drama that had already been given money for development!

While the Head of Drama at RTÉ is still only the acting head of drama a year after the other fella left! Drama is just so important to RTÉ

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2022/1018/1329924-storyland-returns-with-a-trio-of-new-tv-dramas/

______

Yesterday

Well, Mustard started out as a play, first. Written by and starring the lead actress.

Plays translated to film/ TV are often not very good. There are rare adaptations that work far better in TV and movie adaptation form, but it's very rare.

• Advertisement

The problem with these 3 one offs is that they began with Mustard.

I only like mustard on glazed ham and if I make a burger patty I add mustard, but would never put it on a burger, and while I am sure their are people that absolutely love the stuff I doubt they want to see a woman gorging her self on the stuff. This puts me off even looking at the programme, I can only imagine the idea of a one-woman show and a jar of mustard (perhaps some guys are into that kind of thing!).

Balor Hall and Every 5 Weeks might both be good but the mustard stain runs through for me.

Mustard had less than 41,000 adult viewers not even making it into the top twenty of RTÉ2 shows. Much like Balor Hall its twitter profile was largely just 4 - 5 people trying to get people to watch, while the media lovelies gave it ten out of ten.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Got a court warning two weeks ago , we had a licence inspector at the house three weeks ago, looks like I’ll have to spend a few days in the slammer , I can not in conscience fund an outfit like RTE

Do you get to give a victim impact statement or does RTÉ come out for that.

RTÉ Rep: Mad_maxx refused to pay his license fee and I am sure if he'd paid we'd have been able to have at least 3 more storylands.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I guess you'll have to go on the run Mad Maxx, live off what you can scavenge

I intend to tell the judge I can’t support the relentless progressive propaganda which is hurting the country and it’s people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just what we need, another prisoner of conscience.

Maybe you could share a cell with Enoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Mad maxx you have my full support👏🏻👏🏻

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

No , I’m a non believer myself so he’s probably beat me to death with his King James Bible

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would you put Madd_max with Mr. Burke, do you know Max's views?

It's a very easy target, I disagree with Max but I take his point and he can choose to do as he pleases.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

@Mad_maxx

Show the judge 10mins of Baz on a show - you'll be grand

poor Enoch is the butt of every joke at this stage

I feel like these 'Storyland' one-offs are just a ploy for RTE to do the 'We're the home of home-grown, new Irish programming'... thus show the government that they're worth a license fee increase.

Never mind the viewership is less than an advert shown during Fair City. (Surprised Mustard did that badly- though not really).

I mean, RTE thought 'lets put Maura Higgins front and center on a make-up show'... and it started out bad, and ended up even worse. I think it did the same numbers as Mustard at its first episode, and then landed at 20, 000 viewers, if that, by the end. I'd say RTE probably got an earful from the sponsors. Definitely didn't get their money there.

Balor Hall... I saw some faces from 'No Worries if Not' in that, and there was another show that crashed and burned. Nobody was talking about it after episode 1. And why would they-it was terrible. But it fulfills a quota for RTE- quality be damned.

I feel its a ploy to say that they are innovative and highlight new talent. Remember those comedy pilots in co-op with the Irish Film Board.

It is a simple case that over the last decade or more RTÉ have spend more time complaining that they have no money, ending up in a situation that not only have they no money but they are paying people not to gain any experience in the jobs that they have, everyone on this thread has as much experience commissioning comedy and drama for TV and streaming as anyone in RTÉ.

Also this time last year RTÉ announced their 15th round of Storyland developmental schemes, no word so far on the next round.

______

Yesterday

On Lar Bar, ever read sin e bhfuil credits? lots of bars on those credits.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RTE would not have "no money" if they didn't so inexplicably lavish it on talentless shitehawks like Tubridy, d'Arcy and Duffy, year after year after year.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement