Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will be lost in posts in the avengers thread

Options
  • 03-05-2018 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one bored of all these superhero/Marvel/ DC universe whatever they are films ? I'm not high brow by any means at all. My favourite action film is Speed !! But these 2 plus hour CGI fests are a complete bore to me.

And when they add them all together its even worse. The cliche one liners are flying. I tried watching Thor Ragnarok 4 times and fell asleep after an hour each time.

Whatever happened to the like of (again) Speed, Die Hard (the good 3), The Rock, Face off, Air force one, Under Siege and on and on.

Great entertaining action films that didn't need a cape, cloak, cowl, iron suit or godly hammer and bucket loads of CGI..

Even great chiller/thrillers like Pacific Heights, Single White Female or Se7en never seem to be around anymore. And if they are they are a very pale imitation.

Wheres the likes of True Romance, Goodfellas, ?

Anyone recommend a non cgi infested action film, a non pg-13 horror/creepy film ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

There should be room for good quality action outside of the superhero genre, however I don't feel the glut of the latter is impeding the former.

It can be done. John Wick being a good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yeah stay away from blockbusters unless you hear otherwise OP.
    They are mainly just money monsters.
    Research the films you watch there are still some gems out there but can go missing in the volume of stuff being churned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Showing your age op. For the record, all great movies.

Check out the likes of “A Quiet place”, “get out”, even “12 strong” for non chi-fest decent movies. They’re out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I love them, and more importantly, the whole family loves them, and we have a great time watching them all, often several times.

When I want something more serious, I don't have a problem finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, I find them all pretty boring. I don't think I'm just some elitist movie snob or anything, but it's ~2.5 hours of inconsequential punching and flailing and posturing. Even the relatively good stories are so paper thin, it's difficult not to despair a bit when they're lauded as anything genuinely worthwhile.

I don't hate them necessarily. I like a bit of mindless fun every now and then. But yeeesh, it is all a bit much.

Although I don't think it's correct to say there aren't any good 'dumb' action films left. Mad Max Fury Road was phenomenal. John Wick. The Crank films were lots of fun. The first Taken. Plenty more.

And there were plenty of dodgy blockbusters "back in the day" too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Heckler wrote: »
    Am I the only one bored of all these superhero/Marvel/ DC universe whatever they are films ? I'm not high brow by any means at all. My favourite action film is Speed !! But these 2 plus hour CGI fests are a complete bore to me.

And when they add them all together its even worse. The cliche one liners are flying. I tried watching Thor Ragnarok 4 times and fell asleep after an hour each time.

Whatever happened to the like of (again) Speed, Die Hard (the good 3), The Rock, Face off, Air force one, Under Siege and on and on.

It's funny that you bemoan the dominance of one Hollywood fashion, while lamenting the disappearance of another? They're not all from the same basket, but you went and name-checked some of the more prominent "Die Hard, but in ..." knock offs that popped up in the years after the progenitor became a smash hit / franchise. Hollywood exists in a continuous cycle of fads and gimmicks: go further back and I'm sure cinema-goers were upset at the death of the Western, the WW2 epic, the Jaws rip-off, etc. etc. The industry very much exists in a constant race to be second.

There are still plenty of action films out there, they're just not the main Hollywood draw anymore; success such as The Raid and John Wick prove that there's still an appetite for 'simple' action films - it's just not where the executives see the trend at the moment.

Equally, the crime thriller is arguably in ruder health than its ever been, still capable of drawing in top talent both behind and in-front of the lens: from the David Fincher version of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, to Tom Cruise helming the Jack Reacher films, to ... uhh, the somewhat spectacular misfire that was Tomas Alfredson's The Snowman.

Heck, just take a quick stroll through A24 or Blumhouse's catalogue and you'll find a plethora of solid, mid-tier thrillers, horror flicks and so on, that would tick the boxes you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭El Duda

You know, you don't have to watch superhero films if you don't like them.

I've never liked Underworld, resident Evil or Fast and furious films but I wouldn't go out of my way to complain about them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Like pixelburp said, Hollywood goes through cycles. The types of films you said you liked pretty much come from what Hollywood cycle was popular at that particular time.

The reason the superhero movies (the Marvel ones in particular) are still popular is that they're mixing genres with superheroes to keep them fresh. Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok are both superhero films from the same year, yet are hugely different movies. They have the same style of general humour and superhero action, but the other half of each film is so different as to give a different experience. Ant-Man was a superhero/heist movie. Winter Soldier was a superhero/spy movie.

Ultimately though, there's what... six, maybe seven superhero films a year? It's not that hard to avoid them, and there's still plenty of non-superhero films out there. The particular type of film you like, they just tend not to be that popular any more. Let's face it, you got Speed. But then you also got Speed 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Get Out, Ex Machine, Mad Max are all great films from the Last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I agree with the op...too many superhero movies, that are quite bland and repetitive. At least something like the first 2 Blade movies had lots of swearing, nudity and action...a more adult experience :pac: Give me that any day over Chris Evans and his beard!

In general though, I think the movie business is so money obsessed that they don't prioritise smaller movies anymore, they just put all their money riding on the big ones that are guaranteed smashes. Look at the budget for Infinity War...300-400 million! You could make 10 really good smaller movies for that, but again that's riskier nowadays. They are all probably chasing the Asian market too, so they need bland, easily digestible spectacles that appeal to all.

Look at something like Goodfellas...it cost 25 mil, and earned around double that. That sounds great back in the day, a healthy profit, but nowadays it's chicken feed. I do think there is a market for intelligent, well made movies for adults. I certainly would go see them. The best movie I have seen in years was Gone Girl (cost 60 mil, made 6 times that) which was very adult in theme (toxic marriage) mixed with a murder mystery. It probably helped that it was a best-selling book, but still. I do miss the genre of psychological thriller, which seems to be disappearing under the weight of superhero movies. Too many movies for kids, not enough for adults. And yes I have seen Get Out, which I thought was very over-rated, and I can barely remember it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't have any problem with just skipping films that don't interest me (most of the MCU films of the last couple of years fail to catch my interest; ditto the new Star Wars), but I do find it frustrating how Disney in particular is throwing its corporate weight around and demanding special contractual terms for some of their films which distorts the marketplace overall for other films released at the time. In particular whatever scumbag decided that the "commit your biggest screen to TLJ for at least 4 weeks from release or give us an extra 10% of the takings for those weeks" thing was a good idea deserves a healthy tap in the ballbag. But even beyond that, the crowding around some MCU films is bizarre - my local Cineworld had 24 screenings a day of Infinity War on the Thursday to Sunday of its release. Which was accommodated by several smaller films (including horror films I was looking forward to) getting their release date moved forward and being allocated a single week of normal screenings before being dropped to morning screenings only.

I'd like a bit more balance in terms of what's on offer at any given time, which is a bit of a problem when Disney's film lineup is the 800 pound gorilla and cinemas seem happy to cater to all their demands because of the guaranteed audiences they bring with them. Which then feeds into some viewers seeking out film experiences elsewhere, regardless of the fears of old men at Cannes or cinema managers over what that means for "the future of film"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I agree with the op...too many superhero movies, that are quite bland and repetitive..

Yeah but the point is the majority of people don't find them bland and repetitive, for me I feel I can trust the Marval series as I haven't regretted going to see any of them in the cinema yet, and that's a risk you take with films these days. Also generally speaking if a film had solid special effects mixed with good story/dialogue I feel I HAVE to see it on the big screen. I loved gone girl and recently enjoyed spotlight but I don't feel like needed to see them on the big screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The excellent American comedy Community had a dialogue between a guy who turned 40 and a younger colleague. In between lamenting not able to wear a white tee shirt without loooking like he hasn’t dressed and other calamities of age he said he wanted to be able to voice an opinion on those boring ass marvel movies and be taken seriously. In her reply the younger colleague listed the whips and thorns of youth and said she wanted to be able to admit that the marvel movies were boring

I don’t mind the single super hero genre. Generally there’s a fairly big build up, and then it ends with one major CGI scene. A few verses with small choruses ending with a big chorus.

Marvel movies are all chorus. All dessert, no starter. I can’t watch em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Marvel movies are all chorus. All dessert, no starter. I can’t watch em.

Each Marval character has there own film which explains there origin and story before it gets into the real action. The ones that don't are because the origins has been established in previous films. It's grand if you don't like marvel, everyone has something that's very popular that they don't like, there's plenty of other films you can watch and talk about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

The only marvel movies i ever enjoyed were the X-Men movies, all these guardian of the galaxy, thor and avenger movies are absolute garbage.

DC Comics for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I like going to the cinema to watch the Marvel films, I enjoy them. I could detail why but the main point is I like going to the cinema to watch them. Thank god I wasn't around in the 50s....musicals...ugh...

The excellent American comedy Community had a dialogue between a guy who turned 40 and a younger colleague. In between lamenting not able to wear a white tee shirt without loooking like he hasn’t dressed and other calamities of age he said he wanted to be able to voice an opinion on those boring ass marvel movies and be taken seriously. In her reply the younger colleague listed the whips and thorns of youth and said she wanted to be able to admit that the marvel movies were boring

You're referencing Community as a criticism of Marvel films is intentionally ironic?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Am I the only one bored of all these superhero/Marvel/ DC universe whatever they are films ?

No.

They're insipid junk food movies.

But, you don't have to watch. Haven't looked at one since 'Deadpool' and I haven't missed anything.

People got bored of that crap too.

Deco99 wrote: »
    You're referencing Community as a criticism of Marvel films is intentionally ironic?

Not sure the point there - it’s a great comedy.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Each Marval character has there own film which explains there origin and story before it gets into the real action. The ones that don't are because the origins has been established in previous films. It's grand if you don't like marvel, everyone has something that's very popular that they don't like, there's plenty of other films you can watch and talk about

I know about the origin stories. I said I was ok with the single super hero stories. I think I’ve seen 3 Spider-Man origin stories.

It’s the groups of heroes I find boring.

• Advertisement

Seriously? Ok just a wonderful coincidence. That scene is an in joke. The Russo brothers directed a load of Community episodes and are executive producers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I would say that it could be the fact that the Russo brothers were executive producers for a couple of seasons of Community and directed quite a few episodes before they went on to direct Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I would say that it could be the fact that the Russo brothers were executive producers for a couple of seasons of Community and directed quite a few episodes before they went on to direct Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War

Mostly community ended before their involvement in the avengers stuff. Not sure when this episode aired though.

Largely irrelevant to whether the movies are boring or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus Dan Harmon the creator of Community and writer of that episode (as it was the final episode) did some consulting on Doctor Strange, helping give ideas and doing some writing for reshoots after seeing a first cut of the movie.

Mostly community ended before their involvement in the avengers stuff. Not sure when this episode aired though.

Largely irrelevant to whether the movies are boring or not.

It's kinda perfect, like you don't really "get" the films, (I put get in quotes as I clearly don't mean in an intellectual sense, merely you don't enjoy them), same way you didn't really get the joke in community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Actually they came back briefly after Winter Soidler but before it's release for Community's 5th season. Joe Russo directed Donald Glovers final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

just too many super heroe flicks the last 10 yrs. They don't all deserve the film treatment. Some of them probably shouldn't live in the the same universe, eg batman+superman, Ironman and most of the other marvel gang
    OP right bring back big action block busters, we need a new John McClane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

eric hoone wrote: »
    just too many super heroe flicks the last 10 yrs. They don't all deserve the film treatment. Some of them probably shouldn't live in the the same universe, eg batman+superman, Ironman and most of the other marvel gang
    OP right bring back big action block busters, we need a new John McClane

All well and good but how many John McClane action figures were sold. Don't remember Die Hard Lego sets either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mohawk wrote: »
    All well and good but how many John McClane action figures were sold. Don't remember Die Hard Lego sets either. :pac:

If they were making the original 'Die Hard' today, it would be PG13 and there'd probably be a flood of action figures marketed for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

In the time you took to post that , you could have typed into google the type of movies you were looking for and had several suggestions

Seems to be the cool thing now to knock Superhero Films, or come out with the with old cliche I've got super hero fatigue.....Go for a sleep then

As others have pointed out if there not for you then don't watch, there is plenty of great movies out there that aren't big summer blockbusters

Advertisement