Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius. Generation 3

Options
  • 02-05-2018 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

What do people tbink of the generation 3 prius?

Think its a 1.8 engine from 2009 onwards.

Im looking at between 2009-2012.

Anyone know if there waa a facelift during this time?
    What models come with bluetooth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Facelift model is around end 2012 start 2013 until when the new Gen 4 model came out in 2016- look for the front fogs in the black grille area for the facelift model as they added DRLs on this revised version. Jap imports are slightly different on lights and audio headunits.

From the Auris Hybrid 2010 onwards, CT 200, Prius 2013 onwards, Prius Plus, these all have the same power train. Each vehicle has its quirks. Latest I found, I could fit a large item in my 2010 Auris that I couldn't in my 2013 Prius - this was due to the height of the floor to the roof - a proper hatch worked better!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

astrofluff wrote: »
    Facelift model is around end 2012 start 2013 until when the new Gen 4 model came out in 2016- look for the front fogs in the black grille area for the facelift model as they added DRLs on this revised version. Jap imports are slightly different on lights and audio headunits.

From the Auris Hybrid 2010 onwards, CT 200, Prius 2013 onwards, Prius Plus, these all have the same power train. Each vehicle has its quirks. Latest I found, I could fit a large item in my 2010 Auris that I couldn't in my 2013 Prius - this was due to the height of the floor to the roof - a proper hatch worked better!

Thanks. Do you know which model Prius come with Bluetooth fitted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Prius are making a bit of a premium lately , so a 2013 or Later model Auris might prove a better all rounder at less money , and a lot less rattly and more comfortable and solid feeling then a 2009 to 2015 Prius .
    I drove a later model Auris hybrid lately and they're a revelation compared to a same engined and drivetrain Prius or CT 200, a really nice all rounder .

Bigus wrote: »
    Prius are making a bit of a premium lately , so a 2013 or Later model Auris might prove a better all rounder at less money , and a lot less rattly and more comfortable and solid feeling then a 2009 to 2015 Prius .
    I drove a later model Auris hybrid lately and they're a revelation compared to a same engined and drivetrain Prius or CT 200, a really nice all rounder .

Is the 2013 auris the totally new model?

Thanks. 2013 Auris is a bit above budget for me versus for example a 2010 prius.

So a 2010 prius is not built the best and is rattly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The build quality is fine, it's just in order to save on weight and cost the dashboard and centre console use rather thin plastic with little sound proofing material. I find mine gets a bit rattly on rough roads.

The touchscreen stereo with Bluetooth became standard with the 2012 facelift (which I think was early 2012). I don't know what the options were for previous models, but you're probably better off replacing it with your own stereo anyway for pre-facelifts.

I got a 2012 Prius Plug-in a couple of years ago. I went to the UK as there is much more choice and better spec (they didn't even sell the plug-in version here), and VRT is quite low. Mine's got JBL audio which sounds pretty decent - I think this only came with the full leather option on Irish cars so is rare.

What kind of MPG are people getting and what is your driving typical style ?

I have the Plug-in so am averaging about 80 MPG (about 40% of my driving covered by EV mode). But on long journeys and higher speeds I don't really benefit from the larger battery: If I stick to 120 km/h with cruise control on motorways I'll get around 50-52 MPG, and closer to 58-60 MPG at 100 km/h. The standard 3rd gen Prius will achieve about the same. Driving around town will return around 40-55 MPG - it varies a lot depending on various conditions.

Average here based on over 700 owners (excluding Plug-in, unless they put in the details wrong) is about 58 MPG: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2010&constyear_e=2015&powerunit=2

I have the Plug-in so am averaging about 80 MPG (about 40% of my driving covered by EV mode). But on long journeys and higher speeds I don't really benefit from the larger battery: If I stick to 120 km/h with cruise control on motorways I'll get around 50-52 MPG, and closer to 58-60 MPG at 100 km/h. The standard 3rd gen Prius will achieve about the same. Driving around town will return around 40-55 MPG - it varies a lot depending on various conditions.

Average here based on over 700 owners is about 58 MPG: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2010&constyear_e=2015&powerunit=2

thanks, thats a very good average IMHO.

Just from this thread alone, no great gra for the Prius. Seems to be directing me towards an auris hybrid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Just from this thread alone, no great gra for the Prius. Seems to be directing me towards an auris hybrid ;)

Prius is miles better than the Auris. Bigger and much better sound proofing.

grogi wrote: »
    Prius is miles better than the Auris. Bigger and much better sound proofing.

Not according to Bigus above ;)

Not according to Bigus above ;)

Auris seems built better - the interior plastics are indeed softer. But Auris, at least in hybrid version, lets much more of the wind and engine noise in.

Silly question. But is there a battery etc in the Prius for the electric motor? (Like in an all electric car)

And if so, does it degrade or lose “bars” ?

Silly question. But is there a battery etc in the Prius for the electric motor? (Like in an all electric car)

And if so, does it degrade or lose “bars” ?

Yes , but it's an old fashioned ( reliable) NiMh battery, and Toyota will do a health check on it for about €80 . In the real world however , failures are about 1 in 100,000 , or over 10 years old. New one is about €2500 s/hand 400 -700 , and. Repaired with warranty around €1200, in Prius 3 only, inverters go as well , €2500 grand from Toyota or 600 s/hand, or exchange units for £200 repaired.

But in reality Hybrids are proving to be the most reliable of current cars on the road, as proven by Taxi companies worldwide.

Yes , but it's an old fashioned ( reliable) NiMh battery, and Toyota will do a health check on it for about €80 . In the real world however , failures are about 1 in 100,000 , or over 10 years old. New one is about €2500 s/hand 400 -700 , and. Repaired with warranty around €1200, in Prius 3 only, inverters go as well , €2500 grand from Toyota or 600 s/hand, or exchange units for £200 repaired.

But in reality Hybrids are proving to be the most reliable of current cars on the road, as proven by Taxi companies worldwide.

Over 10 years old, is the battery prone to faults ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The batteries are quite reliable and you'd be very unlucky to come across a faulty one. What's impressive is I can't remember the last time I had to change the brake pads. The braking system really does save on maintenance costs in that area.

To be fair, if you find the Auris fits the bill better than the Prius, it's a brilliant car to get. Either way, you won't be disappointed with your choice.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Over 10 years old, is the battery prone to faults ?

Not necessarily, but more common in 04/05/06 models due to age or mileage.

In fact I think gen 3 are not giving faults as battery was improved

grogi wrote: »
    Auris seems built better - the interior plastics are indeed softer.

That is the (perceived) quality of the materials, not how it's built though. The Auris is built in the UK, and from what I've seen they're living up to their stereotype of not being as well built as their Japanese counterparts - nothing major, but small bits of the interior breaking, falling apart, etc.

My Peugeot had nice soft plastics too, but it wasn't built better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'd advise anyone considering a 2010 Prius to look at a 2010 Civic Hybrid. Very similar economy and the Civic is generally a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    I'd advise anyone considering a 2010 Prius to look at a 2010 Civic Hybrid. Very similar economy and the Civic is generally a lot cheaper.

does the civic only come in a 1.3 ?

Yes, and the electric motor is less powerful too, combined power is around 110 bhp in the Civic vs. 134 bhp in the Gen 3 Prius.

I find the performance adequate in the Prius - I'm not afraid of flooring it when needs be, and overtaking etc. is not a problem. Not sure how it compares to the 523i (saw your other thread! ;) ). Handling is not the best, but it's never felt dangerously bad. Wheelspin can be a problem :)

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a 2012 prius with average miles ?

Is there an obvious way to tell if a Prius has factory fitted Bluetooth ?

does the civic only come in a 1.3 ?

Yep, but that's misleading as it's only part of the picture.

The 98bhp 1.8L engine in the Prius isn't as powerful as a regular 1.8 (it's built for economy), so while the Prius is quicker than the Civic, it's not really a big difference. Neither car is particularly fast. We've owned both.
    Is there an obvious way to tell if a Prius has factory fitted Bluetooth ?

If it has the telephone buttons on the steering wheel (left hand side, below the circular buttons).

DSCN0007_1__19516.1376511957.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Inviere

n97 mini wrote: »

Is there much in the difference? Also, saloon only I assume?

Inviere wrote: »
    Is there much in the difference? Also, saloon only I assume?

Had a quick look on Carzone. Like for like in 2010 the Civic is probably 2k cheaper. I didn't look at UK prices in a while but the gap was bigger last time I looked.

Civic is a better car to drive, probably because it's got an independent rear suspension, and feels better built. Interior plastics in the Prius scratch if you look at them. Prius is marginally quicker at over taking, though as I said neither car is "quick". Civic is saloon only: batteries are behind the back seat, which means the back seats don't fold down.

What is the story with the jap imports ?

Avoid due to insurance etc ?

In regard to mpg.

Let’s say you are on a motorway, cruise on at 120 kph. What kind of mpg should one expect ?

If you are in heavy traffic and barely moving for 20 minutes, are you essentially using zero petrol ?

• Advertisement

In regard to mpg.

Let’s say you are on a motorway, cruise on at 120 kph. What kind of mpg should one expect ?

5.5l/100km. Slow down to 100 km/h and it drops to 5.0l/100km.
    If you are in heavy traffic and barely moving for 20 minutes, are you essentially using zero petrol ?

Unless you are using airconditioning.

Advertisement