Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Cosby Guilty

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Never really got his brand of humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Never really got his brand of humour.

I love black comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

Curious as to how long he gets.

His cell mate will be able to tell you after night 2 or 3 I reckon.

I wonder how a comment like this gets so many thanks, yet on other threads whenever sexual violence against women is brought up there’s a vocal outcry over how people don’t take sexual assault against men seriously? Cosby is obviously a scumbag of the highest order but the relish that some people take in his possible sexual assault in prison is a bit off to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Because sometimes a dose of your own medicine is the only thing that rams the point home, pun intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Because sometimes a dose of your own medicine is the only thing that rams the point home, pun intended.

But you are being a hypocrite with that attitude. You are shouting from the rooftops about how wrong what he did is and then hoping that it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

eagle eye wrote: »
    But you are being a hypocrite with that attitude. You are shouting from the rooftops about how wrong what he did is and then hoping that it happens.

Yeah and no.

Revenge and vengeance is sweet. We're hardwired to like it. If I remember correctly it actually affects us on a chemical level in the brain. Even when we see it happen to others.

I recognize that it's a horrible thing to happen. I recognize that an eye for an eye is bad. Yet if Cosby was harmed in some way not only would I not care but I'd probably even take a little pleasure from it. I'd feel that in some way it was just.
    And that's part of the reason some political/topical discussions here get so heated. It's because that same part of our brain takes over and it's emotion feeding logic, not the other way round.

That's why it's a good idea that our justice system is independent, cool, detached and logical.

Can we meet halfway on this? Let's both agree that it's bad if he's sexually assaulted but if he happened to randomly develop an itchy groin rash it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The zip zop zoobity bop has come to a zip zip zoobity end…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What blows my mind is that he was 'so popular'. Erm, black ppl, pick your icons more carefully in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

AllForIt wrote: »
    What blows my mind is that he was 'so popular'. Erm, black ppl, pick your icons more carefully in future.

That’s hardly fair. He was a black icon because his role depicted him as a middle class educated black person. They would have been fairly thin on the ground on TV in the 80’s. It’s not like your average fan would be privy to his history of sex crime.

Plenty of famous white people are terrible too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

At his peak more than 50% of television owners in the US watched his show. It wasn't just black people.

Plus in his later years he got a lot of stick from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So which current icons should we be avoiding lol??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That was unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Grayson wrote: »
    At his peak more than 50% of television owners in the US watched his show. It wasn't just black people.

Plus in his later years he got a lot of stick from them.

He was a big critic of the gangsta rap element of black culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Aaaah, wha’? The Cosby Show was popular full stop, not just amongst black audiences.

Advertisement