Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aladdin- Live Action 2019 - Guy Ritchie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Just watch the trailer. Will smith looks dreadful. This will be a **** show of the highest order.
    **** Disney not going to this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Film looks alright, but Will Smith - much as I like him - is miscast in this. Not necessarily because it's Will Smith, more the fact that they made Genie Will Smith, rather than just Genie voiced by Will Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Nope nope nope.... Just say no, kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

batgoat wrote: »
    I have zero faith in Guy Ritchie so have low expectations of this as a result.

Guy Ritchie is a complete bluffer. Awful, awful director. I was disappointed when I heard he was directing RDJ's Sherlock Holmes movies. And he delivered on those feelings. Cannot stand anything he does.

I might watch this to see how laughable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Circuital wrote: »
    Guy Ritchie is a complete bluffer. Awful, awful director. I was disappointed when I heard he was directing RDJ's Sherlock Holmes movies. And he delivered on those feelings. Cannot stand anything he does.

I might watch this to see how laughable it is.
    You better believe it. Goes on like a cockney geeza when he's from an extremely privileged background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

It was weird when Will Smith wasn't all in blue and now it's weird that he is. Will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

filters wrote: »
    Wy did they not get a arab actor to play genie?
    Will Smith is african american, is this classed as cultural appropriation?
    Is it only cultural appropriation if white people are involved?
    Is this double standards?
    As for the movie , i reckon it will bomb, has Hollywood ever had a time like now where they are so short of original ideas?

I hate this bullsh*t. It's business!!! If there was an "arab actor" who can be the main attraction in a 150 Million + dollar movie then they would have used them. If there was a pan-sexual Martian who could headline the movie they would use them.

Having said that, the trailer is just godawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

filters wrote: »
    Idris Elba is a Norse God in Thor!!
    The character Elba was playing is somehow 'whiter than white' in norse mythology, and so is used in some neo-nazi bull****. Casting Elba was a preemptive snub to those people. Or so I read somewhere, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Everytime I see this genie That Yellow Bastard is what keeps coming to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Smith will inject the magical wish-granter with a little bit of the Fresh Prince and a little bit of Hitch.

“Aladdin” will also get a feminist makeover.

“Aladdin” will also feature new music

I just can't see how this will be anything other than a roaring success.......:rolleyes::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First full trailer...

It does look pretty good in fairness. Better than I was expecting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well that's an improvement.

What's still putting me off is the mix of tone. Is it is drama/love story, is it a comedy, or is it a musical??

Blue Willy is still in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Naomi Scott is a stunner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So ... why not save a few bucks and just watch the animation again?

That looks more like it, there's now a 'world' on screen which lives up to the original. Still though, Jafar is just not right. I get that it could come across quite hammy having a real life actor try to imitate Jafar's personality and characteristics from the original, but he's not intimidating at all here.

Plus, it seems like they are more or less going for a shot for shot remake if that trailer is anything to go by. Aladdin is the spit of his animated counterpart, same with Jasmine, I'm surprised they've gone for their own version of Jafar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've honestly never been more conflicted about a movie before.

On the one hand it looks and sounds great, and Iago is going to be amazing, but on the other hand I really hate this ongoing unnecessary moneymaker remake trend, and I'm still unconvinced about Will Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Mr E wrote: »
    First full trailer...

It does look pretty good in fairness. Better than I was expecting.

Yeeeeep, that’s definitely another billion in bank for Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

In an ideal world, Jafar would be played by Tim Curry in his prime.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Yeeeeep, that’s definitely another billion in bank for Disney.
    Yeah, I think you're right about that. And magic carpets for everyone from the Disney Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Naomi Scott is a stunner.

I was sure it was Freda Pinto. Scott is like a slightly more tanned version of Felicity Jones.

• Advertisement

I think she has the look of Buffy about her!

I see from IMDB she was in that 2011 show Terra Nova. Really enjoyed that while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Early reviews are actually saying that this is good.

I am shocked. I refuse to believe them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suspect with any of these live-action remakes, prior fandom for the original animated version & susceptibility to the tickle of nostalgia might slant a lot of perspectives. Not meant as a criticism, but these remakes are precision engineered to pick the pockets of those with fondness for Disney's 'renaissance' period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If it's good, I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Early reviews are often skewed as the people most motivated to see the movie are those who are anticipating it. Right now it's 60% on rotten tomatoes. That's all right, no more. Certainly nothing to get excited over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If you want to check out the soundtrack, including the new versions of A Whole New World

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiNVoBckLqLnv2rddKZSTFs7a96z06qbt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

seen it last night, better than expected. i did not have high hopes before watching it but in the end you;ll have a smile on your face.

Nostalgic and every 90's kid would enjoy it too ;)

Will Smith made this version of Genie his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

A lot of people I've spoken to saying this has easily surpasses the original.

Is that the case with people here too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just saw it. I enjoyed it - William Smith did his own interpretation and it was fine. I was a little thrown by the additional songs and the
    new more feminist ending (in a good way!)

The songs are what make this and they're still great. Agrabah is fully realised.

I haven't seen many of these live action remakes and still think they're just a cash cow for Disney but part of me is still a 14 year old who dragged her too cool for school friends to see Aladdin in the UCI Coolock...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was alright. Actors for Aladdin and Jasmine are pretty good tbh. Jafars actor is horrific though. Songs are good too as expected although Ritchies direction is a bit ropey (slow mo in a song :( ).

Bits of it ruined by a rather ****ty audience though. Guy in front of me was vaping through the film

Advertisement