Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaving through traffic

Options
  • 23-04-2018 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'm thinking of doing my category A license and getting a Suzuki GZ250. I saw pictures of these online and they're beautiful. I'll expect to pay roughly €7,500 for one (used).

One of the advantages of having a motorbike is to weave in and out of traffic, but if you don't do this, then there is no difference in the advantage of having a car or a bike.

Do you weave on a bike? I know it's illegal, but not weaving would defeat the purpose of having a bike, wouldn't it?

I'll put up a private poll :)

Do you weave between lanes of traffic on your bike? 71 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    91% 65 votes
    I don't ride, I just lurk in this forum.
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I'm thinking of doing my category A license and getting a Suzuki GZ250. I saw pictures of these online and they're beautiful. I'll expect to pay roughly €7,500 for one (used).

One of the advantages of having a motorbike is to weave in and out of traffic, but if you don't do this, then there is no difference in the advantage of having a car or a bike.

Do you weave on a bike? I know it's illegal, but not weaving would defeat the purpose of having a bike, wouldn't it?

It's called filtering and it's not illegal :)
    Yes everyone here does it.everyone on a bike does it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

Goose81 wrote: »
    It's called filtering and it's not illegal :)
    Yes everyone here does it.everyone on a bike does it

Is it not? My sarcasm metre is broken.

Overtaking on left was illegal in most circumstances last time I checked :P

It's not illegal , there is nothing in law regarding it and you won't be prosecuted for doing it. Good luck doing it on the bike you are looking at though, you'll end up just blocking the middle of the lane for lads on other bikes.

I haven't checked but I doubt undertaking is illegal, it can be dangerous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It's not illegal, that's not to say you must do it each and every time in traffic. Sometimes it's better to just wait and sit it out rather than rush and get stuck in a worse position!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I dont, well didnt as i have not rode in about 2 years.

Did for a while until i was hit by an eejit opening the door in traffic on the m50 south at leopardstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

You know that you can't do a test on a 250cc? The price sounds a bit high too, I paid less than 5k for a new one 12 years ago!

Is anyone scared to weave in case some fool swerves without paying attention?

I dont, well didnt as i have not rode in about 2 years.

Did for a while until i was hit by an eejit opening the door in traffic on the m50 south at leopardstown

Yeah the only place I'm very reluctant to do it is on the M50 unless it's absolutely gridlocked. I see lads doing it when I'm driving at 100kmh in the car and think it's crazy, all it takes is one clown to turn without looking and you are gone

gipi wrote: »
    You know that you can't do a test on a 250cc? The price sounds a bit high too, I paid less than 5k for a new one 12 years ago!

Can you not? I thought you could do AM, A1, A2 or full A.

Obviously sitting A wold give you full access to all (if you're over 24, which I am).

I'd do my lessons and test with ISM full A bike anyway and then buy my own 250 cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It's not weaving. It's filtering.

Scared no .. but you need to be prepared for everything and anything.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    It's not weaving. It's filtering.

Scared no .. but you need to be prepared for everything and anything.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the differene?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just to be clear weaving through traffic is dangerous and illegal. Filtering between lanes is legal and if done correctly is as safe as normal riding.

The fool can swerve without paying attention any time you are on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Undertaking is illegal in general except for the case of "slow moving traffic" - which, depending on the situation, is what might mean that filtering is not illegal. Slow moving traffic is not defined rigidly in rules of the road and it's hard to gauge what a Garda or judge would call it - would it be in the region of 10kph or thereabouts? It's not just because the driver in an outer lane is going slower than you... :P

Undertaking is more dangerous than overtaking - the blind spots for drivers are (I think) bigger on the left hand side of the vehicle and I think another reason that it's ruled out in the rules of the road is that people changing lanes to the left tend to do so even more casually than when changing lanes to the right.

But yeah filtering in slow traffic is a good way to make progress in crawling or stopped traffic, just do take care for the car doors opening - I once had to jam on brakes so that a driver could spit out while brushing his teeth....!

Prenderb wrote: »
    Undertaking is illegal in general except for the case of "slow moving traffic" - which, depending on the situation, is what might mean that filtering is not illegal. Slow moving traffic is not defined rigidly in rules of the road and it's hard to gauge what a Garda or judge would call it - would it be in the region of 10kph or thereabouts? It's not just because the driver in an outer lane is going slower than you... :P

Undertaking is more dangerous than overtaking - the blind spots for drivers are (I think) bigger on the left hand side of the vehicle and I think another reason that it's ruled out in the rules of the road is that people changing lanes to the left tend to do so even more casually than when changing lanes to the right.

But yeah filtering in slow traffic is a good way to make progress in crawling or stopped traffic, just do take care for the car doors opening - I once had to jam on brakes so that a driver could spit out while brushing his teeth....!

So filtering between rows of stationary traffic is what most people do here?

Nobody is swerving in and out of the three lanes of the M50 through moving traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've no interest in a bike do you?

What's the point of this thread

listermint wrote: »
    You've no interest in a bike do you?

What's the point of this thread

Don't post if you've no interest

Honestly, yes. I only do it going under 20km and try to go in the bus lane if possible. I'l probably get a dash camera for the bike now because on the new one I got if someone hits me and I drop the bike at low speed it's probably a minimum 2k to fix any damages whereas I didn't really care with the old one

I figure if your going that slow and you fall your pride is going to be hurt more than your body

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Stick to the motors threads pal or educate yourself before wasting our time. We have bikes and the majority of us filter.

zubair wrote: »
    Stick to the motors threads pal or educate yourself before wasting our time. We have bikes and the majority of us filter.

But we now have a poll haha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Il post alright. My point is you've no interest.

Clearly on the wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Op = troll

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

A bored 20 something...just move on to the next forum please...i believe "Gardening" can get quite fruity.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You're here to simply antagonize the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Here we go again..........

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A bored 20 something...just move on to the next forum please...i believe "Gardening" can get quite fruity.:rolleyes:

Don't start. We've got slash hooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't start. We've got slash hooks.

Slash hooks ?? Pffft :rolleyes:

roadredemption.jpg

Baseball bats are where its at ;)

Oh and the OP is a known "road warrior" with his own brand of dispensing justice to people that have wronged society. Armed with his dash cam he patrols the mean streets of Dublin righting wrongs and recording bold people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Overtaking on the left is not illegal if the lane of traffic on your right is moving more slowly than the lane on left. and if the posted speed limit is being obeyed by all lanes And more importantly That you are not acting the maggot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Here ya go OP....this is more your strength me thinks....

https://youtu.be/26y73FuFuJ8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Only time I really do it is coming up to lights or on really slow traffic. And yeah, there's always the fear of someone not looking at pulling out, I clipped someones bumper with by boot once when they moved out. Lots of the time, I'm happy to park my ass on the seat and wait in line like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm disappointed you all fell at the first hurdle. Firstly we should all know by now that a 24 year old doesn't look for a 250 when they're learning, a fireblade would have been believable. Second of all..... 7.5k for a GZ250!?!?

Shame on you all!

Advertisement