Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking to mark, the chief of the bike mechanic shop in the ballymun rediscovery centre, this morning. told him i recently bought a mid 90s dynatech mountain bike, for €100.

'that's some steal!'

'nah, it's titanium'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

havent read the methodology so it could be a crock of sh1t but apparently cyclists are better people for society than car drivers. Will be interesting to read for those of us who do both.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0272494423001731

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"Cycling was the only variable that was a significant positive predictor for all four facets of orientation towards the common good"

SCIENCE CANNOT LIE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Saw some great teenagers being teenagers on the commute this morning... Lad on an escooter giving his mate on a bike a sticky school bag; Backies being given on ebikes. Genuinely good to see, and without a danger to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can anyone put forward a fitness watch that will cover the below for me? I'm not after full smart watch functionality just something for gym work & a few walks.

The usage won't justify big expense.

• accurate heart rate data
    • Spotify control
    • GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Have you got a budget in mind? Garmin, as an example, have a huge range of watches.

Take the Garmin Vivoactive 4. It would do all the things you want (and more), but it retails at about €230

Ironically a mate was showing me the same watch and although not recent it does tick alot of boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've the Vivoactive 4 and it ticks all the boxes you mention - I find it useful with stuff like the body battery which by and large does tally with how energetic I'm feeling. Keep an eye open for black Friday offers on it - they've just brought out a 5 which isn't really an upgrade. They've hobbled it (no barometer so no flights of stairs for one) as they've put the functionality into one of their other watches

I had the Vivoactive 3, and was very happy with it. I only upgraded through a series of unexpected events

• Advertisement

Thanks folks for the helpful replies, vivoactive it is when tje price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

If you are wanting to track prices on Amazon - you could do worse than this https://camelcamelcamel.com/camelizer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Has anyone experience of bringing a bike on intercity Irish rail trains and whether it is much hassle?

I'm hoping to bring my electric bike from Dublin to Cork but I'm worried it will get broke up as it has full mudguards. It mentions that bikes with motors are not allowed on their site below. Would that included electric motors I wonder?

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/travel-information/bicycle-information-for-rail-travel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dublin to cork is the most straightforward train for bringing a bike. They have a luggage carriage or whatever it's called to put it in, just have a lock maybe

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see Eddie Jordan is now involved with an e-bike company...

The photo of him on one in this tweet makes him look rather uncomfortable...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Victoria Pendleton is on The Dog House on C4. Introduced as a 'former professional athlete'. Seems very low key Introduction to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

I suppose in fairness "athlete" is a broader term since didn't she go on to do horse racing after the cycling career? Having no clue what "The Dog House" was, I looked it up on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_House_(TV_series) it was pretty much what I imagined), and they do have her described as "Gold-winning Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton", which does sound better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah as it went on they realised who she was. Mad how anonymous such a character can be - I thought she transcended the sport quite well.

I just received a message from Strava to say I'd lost my last KOM.

When I looked at the activity of the guy who took it, it seems to me that he might have been on an ebike or moped or similar.

These stats don't look right

Might have to flag my first segment in Strava

Left on in car and driven a few hours later explains that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have a look at the analysis graph for his ride, it'll show the speed. If he'd left it on in the car I'd expect a higher average speed than that though.

Could it be driving to a series of spots to do a shorter cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

flag it, there's definitely something odd going on there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also note it's in MPH, going metric we see an average speed of 48kph for 12 hours and a max of 127kph. That's not even an e-bike or moped, it is a motorbike or car. Surprised Strava doesn't flag this internally as highly unlikely to be a bike. That average speed is more than good enough to win the TdF! https://www.statista.com/statistics/1254304/tour-de-france-winner-speed/

He was cycling, threw it in the car and forgot about it, probably drove home or similar. Went to the shops later and so on. It's the time elapsed vs speed rather than distance vs speed you want but flag away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Strava now rarely deal with flagged rides from other athletes nevermind deal with it internally. It's even worse in running/walking challenges where they will take no action whatsoever. There's an idiot who walks to his train for work and then leaves his device recording while on the train (morning and evening) and then uploads the whole journey as a 'walk'. A real hero alright entering the Strava walking challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Probably they are planning to make the possibility to flag a premium feature.

Initially giggled but this is one of the few that definitely should be. It takes time and admin to sort through reported posts, make it a premium feature makes sense.

• Advertisement

isn't it the case that the primary reviewer of a flagged ride is the offending rider? that they're just depending on honesty after a genuine mistake?

Advertisement