Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i ride between the raindrops, so i have less need to wash my bike.

a friend left his bike here at the weekend; he dropped by with it because it needed a few maintenance jobs, but the very first one i tackled went as i'd expected; the headset was shot, so he left it here and has ordered new bearings and more parts. i decided to wash his bike, and sorely missed having a good degreaser, he doesn't have the time or space to clean the bike and by god, was it caked. i had to scrub it with a toothbrush soaked in WD40 to get through some of it.

I'd have just burned it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    I spent €20 on Fenwicks foam degreaser plus the bike wash product,for quick and easy washes these products are as good as you'll get. €20 may seem pricey but the bike was spotless in 5 mins after a weekend of dirty back roads.

I also love the Fenwick's stuff. Especially for apartment living it was great.

I'd have just burned it.

And sent him an invoice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's lucky; i've never seen a chain so badly worn, but the chainrings seem to have escaped damage.
    parts list so far:
    chain
    cassette
    brake pads
    headset bearings
    cables and housings
    jockey wheels (borderline)
    bar tape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lucky he has a mate like you, that's a hefty bill from a bike shop

Signed up for Charleville 2 day, 160 riders in A2/A3..... getting out in one piece will be a success....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    Signed up for Charleville 2 day, 160 riders in A2/A3..... getting out in one piece will be a success....

Best of skill!

Best of skill!

I'll need Sagan style MTB skills to navigate the bunch!!!

back commuting today, first time in two months (first time i've actually gone into the office in two months).
    also, now commuting with a pannier bag. rather than half fill the pair, and have things rattling round inside them, i filled one and left the other off. makes things feel ever so slightly wobbly under acceleration, but possibly less than i expected.

• Advertisement

Meath CC looking for submissions in relation to the proposed Boyne Greenway between Drogheda and Mornington. Be great to finally see this come to fruition.

https://www.meath.ie/council/news/boyne-greenway-drogheda-to-mornington-non-statutory-public-consultation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I can't quite believe what I'm typing, but the N11 cycle lane from Nutley lane to UCD seems to be getting resurfaced (as the bus lane is being re-done) I cycled on the bus lane portion on the way home yesterday & it was a lovely surface, hopefully the manholes & drains in the bike lane get flushed with the surface.

So many LOLs. The futile copy/pasta long after the point it becomes obvious that canned responses aren't going to keep a lid on it. The sheer lack of realisation that posting something like that on social media is only going to result in more cyclists going to the cafe, not less.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1170262305600356353

I've a family member who did similar one Christmas and ffffffffffffffffff

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1170322755780325387

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7lvmCDHnEk

Bouhanni at it again at the Grand Prix de Fourmies.
    The man shouldn't be let near a bike.

TIL that tange tubing/frames is pronounced 'tan-gay' and not 'tanj'.
    though i haven't seen a bike with tange tubing in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Had to change the batteries on the Cateye TL-LD270 on the back of my commuter tonight, 2 stubby little N batteries Id never seen before that must have come with it so out of curiosity I searched my email to see when I bought it because I know Ive never changed the batteries before. 7 years ago! Out the door at 6am every morning so its flashing daily for most of the year and Ive forgotten to turn it off on many cold mornings so it flashed all day aswell, doesnt seem possible. Great little light, painfully bright on its new Duracells:

sSxiUXd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have one, the Soma I built up from the frame is Tange Prestige iirc. Nice enough. I think Soma still use Tange for the current frames.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/worlds-lightest-steel-road-bike/

This stupidly light steel frameset is Tange tubing

Yasujiro-lightest-steel-road-bike-video-16-efe72c1.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

that was precisely where i learned that, on the bikeradar video about that bike.

Idleater wrote: »
    I have one, the Soma I built up from the frame is Tange Prestige iirc. Nice enough. I think Soma still use Tange for the current frames.
    i had a tange frame on the muddy fox i had when i was a teenager. unfortunately my dad dumped that bike years ago.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/berliners-call-for-suv-ban-after-four-people-killed-in-collision-1.4012483

can you imagine the howls of outrage if that was mooted in dublin? the irish times would have to publish a letters page special, covering two or more pages.

on the way home this evening, a man in a white van folded his wing mirror in and pulled in to let me pass. which was nice.

In the car with my Dad on the M1 earlier this evening heading north bound , think it was between J5 and J6. Traffic slowing to a crawl of about 40kmph. Must have been an accident I says , the usual rubber neckers. Nope a f'n speed van. Idiots crawling along by it and then back on the gas once they'd passed it :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My plans for the Tro breo leon have been scuppered as it's been moved to May. I'm off to the Heineken cup final the following week and I have a college exam the week after that.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

for the life of me, i have been unable to shift 'self control' by laura branigan from my head as an earworm when cycling, for nearly a week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Found this interesting in the context of discussions around the use of cars in Ireland for short journeys (according to the census I think):

https://twitter.com/MicromobilityCo/status/1116703423108227072

Advertisement