Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Neo (eGolf replacement)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    a 45kWh Neo is significantly better than a 36kWh Leaf for range. The gap is huge actually (~150km)

Probably because the Neo won't be anywhere near as inefficient as the Leaf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Excuse my ramblings, I'm fairly new in this parish.:)

It's just I cannot see VW undercutting the market in a years time.

They say in the UK Press that the basic Neo 48kWh will be available to pre order in the final quarter of 2019 for delivery in early 2020. For about the same price as a well specced Diesel Golf. That can mean anything. IIRC I priced a Golf Highline in mid 2017 with some desirable, to me, extras. I think the price was about €35k. (Didn't buy it!)

What competing EV's will be available this time next year?
    Probably similar to now with the addition of Niro.

Leaf 40 mid spec €30k.
    Kona 64 "Irish spec" €37k
    Niro 64 "Irish spec" €40k. (My guess for low spec version)

So where does that position the Neo at launch? I reckon a bit higher than others are forecasting. But hopefully that will change in the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok a few things to note

VW have lost billions due to dieselgate
    They had invested billions in diesel engines and now they are nearly obsolete, if you live in any country apart Ireland
    They have invest billions in the ID design and range

VW cannot let it fail. You don't buy the value of Tesla in batteries and then overprice the car. That would be stupid. Why both going to all the hassle....they have said numerous times they will bring the electric car to the masses. Mentioned the ID Neo will be the VW Golf of the future.

You cannot base anything on the cars that have been released so far. Hyundai and Kia haven't really invested in the raw components because they are unsure of what direction to go. Look at line up diesel/petrol/hybrid/phev, electric and hydrogen??

Nissan had the market and seem to be falling over themselves to hand it over to someone else

VW after Neo will have: VW "old" range of mild hybrid diesel, hybrid petrol and VW ID Electric. No inbetween, no messing. A full range of electric cars with plants WW to manufacturer.

Lets say they release at 32k and Leaf drops to 28k, they sell no ID....at that stage to be honest you could seel the start of the end for VW....this has to make money and the best way is a cheap electric car they can sell millions of them....its not like VW dont know how to do that(Beetle )

bk wrote: »
    Well what they have done is actually introduced decent EV's, while VW still plays around with prototypes and lots of promises of future great things with nothing really to show yet.

We have heard a lot of talk from VW, but little real action.

Also if they are getting the batteries for so much less, then why wouldn't they be undercutting Nissan.

Have they? ever single version of the Leaf has had a major fault. Along with issues around battery degradation

Hyundai you can try and buy one but good luck to that. No stock. Even the Kona has no stock and no indication if they will ramp up production

Kia is the same.

Based on what I can see VW have taken the German approach, they might not be first to market but when they release it will be a good car which they can produce in large quantities and meet customer requirements. Every other manufacturer seems to have done with the half assed approach but people seem to applaud half measures.....I have no idea why

Yeah I broadly agree. It is almost impossible to bring VW down. They are the biggest car maker in the world. Not even the #dieselgate damage of many billions seems to have even made them stumble. Unlike the other big car maker, Toyota, VW do know where it is headed and they have finally (just in time it seems) directed their attention and their funds towards it.

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah I broadly agree. It is almost impossible to bring VW down. They are the biggest car maker in the world. Not even the #dieselgate damage of many billions seems to have even made them stumble. Unlike the other big car maker, Toyota, VW do know where it is headed and they have finally (just in time it seems) directed their attention and their funds towards it.

I think they have one of the clearest product lines

VW old: Diesel/Hybrid/PHEV
    VW New: ID range

Then you have
    Toyota: Hybrid but then you have maybe PHEV, Hydrogen is been pushed, talk of electric maybe

Nissan: Diesel/Petrol and electric but no real plans, no electric Qashqai anytime soon, no range of electric. At this stage they should have a full line of electric

Volvo: Mostly seem to be heading the PHEV direction

Ford: all over the place, no idea, some electric but only in US....PHEV SMAX, will it ever appear? the hybrid Mondeo is going to have high tax due to poor performance

Hyundai/Kia...see above, they have fingers in everything, also a mild hybrid diesel to throw into the mix :P plus no realy huge investment in electric yet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I won’t bother quoting everything but I would suspect they will have a low priced Neo, Small battery, restricted motor, no app etc etc....so when you try to do anything you have to pay, remember the plan is all software features can be added by download if you pay of course

Oh, I agree completely. They'll have a very wide range of cars, with lots of upgrades, that is the VW way. Just like you have a 21k Golf to a 50k Golf R, I'm certain you will have a range of cars from a very low spec, entry level Neo, up to a Neo GTE. At the high end probably have 60kWh battery, more powerful motor, maybe even dual motors and AWD. Of course expect to pay way over 40k for that.
    So will anyone buy the 25k model, well irish people will because it’s a new number plate, the rest of Europe will buy the 30k one with xyz features

Which would be fair enough if the entry level model has 330km WLTP range. Given the small island we live on, more then enough range for most peoples trips.
    They had invested billions in diesel engines and now they are nearly obsolete, if you live in any country apart Ireland

VW cannot let it fail. You don't buy the value of Tesla in batteries and then overprice the car. That would be stupid. Why both going to all the hassle....they have said numerous times they will bring the electric car to the masses. Mentioned the ID Neo will be the VW Golf of the future.

Exactly, given the mess that Diesel is, they need to make the transition in a big way. They need to dominate this new EV market and grow it beyond just EV fans. Another expensive low sales numbers GTE isn't going to cut it. A neo GTE would of course be an exciting car and I'm sure they will do that to. But they will really need to go head to head with the Leaf at the entry level if they really want to make a difference with this car.

All very interesting and agree with much said.

What I see is that VW appear to be the first real competition coming in fairly large numbers to the market. Or perhaps they will tread gently initially as the Koreans are doing, or delay launch till later in 2020 when there is perhaps a better picture of what's going on.

Interesting times.

Exactly, given the mess that Diesel is, they need to make the transition in a big way. They need to dominate this new EV market and grow it beyond just EV fans. Another expensive low sales numbers GTE isn't going to cut it. A neo GTE would of course be an exciting car and I'm sure they will do that to. But they will really need to go head to head with the Leaf at the entry level if they really want to make a difference with this car.

Neo will never have combustion engine in it. It was developed only for electric.

While combustion engines are still around you will have Golf around with GTE options. Hence why eGolf got cancelled but the next Golf will have a GTE version

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Of course, no one is saying they are going to die, but there certainly suffering due to Diesel gate and a lot of their good marketing shine as worn off as a result.

They originally had a strategy of growing greatly in the US and dominating that market. That is now in tatters, sales in the US have collapsed and no one there will touch a VW with a ten foot barge poll now. That is why they will need to go strongly to EV's there and going for the Crossover/SUV, it is their only hope of regaining market there.

In Europe, they are doing better, but still suffering due to Dieselgate, you can see that in Irish sales figures with the Golf dropping a few places and the Qashqai way outselling the Tiguan.

And now we have this news today, of big drop in sales in Germany with the introduction of the new WLTP standards, with VW particularly badly hit, their market share in September has halved compared to September last year!!

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/new-emissions-tests-slash-german-car-sales-in-september/66049967

Diesel gate wasn't going to kill VW overnight, but it was going to hurt them badly for years to come. Sales will be gradually chipped away. Their great marketing is in ruins, US strategy in ruins, stricter emission standards chip away at sales, Diesel bans in cities chip away at sales. Not good for them over the long term. Not fatal, but very damaging.

That is why they have the hit the EV market in a very big way now, get in front of this transition and dominate it and rebuild their brand and marketshare. Another expensive, low production rate EV won't do that.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

Neo will never have combustion engine in it. It was developed only for electric.

While combustion engines are still around you will have Golf around with GTE options. Hence why eGolf got cancelled but the next Golf will have a GTE version

Oh, I know, it is pure EV. I meant they could reuse the GTE brand for a performance oriented BEVs.

I know the GTE is currently a PHEV, but if you think about it, it is a bit of a misuse of the brand. GTI and GTD after all are pure, performance tuned petrol and diesel engined cars, not hybrids. So the current GTE is a bit of a departure. A Neo GTE, performance tuned pure BEV, would actually be more in line with the GTI and GTD.

But maybe they will call it something else, Neo eGT maybe or Neo R. The point is anyway, a performance tuned Neo.

I think your figures are wrong there. There was a €3k premium for the 30kWh over the 24kWh and then when they introduced the 40kWh they got rid of the 24/30 models and increased the price above the old price. They didnt reduce it.

The 24kwh started at €21,500 for very much entry level spec (XE) with no options. 30kwh started at €27k for mid spec (SV) model.

The Leaf 40 is more expensive, yes, it comes in at €28,690, though it is the mid-spec SV model and includes some of the options people use to pay for in the past, e.g. heat pump. There is now no entry level XE Leaf 40 here.

But remember the above prices are based on the last year of the old gen 1 leaf, while they are charging a bit of a premium for the new Gen 2 leaf. Pretty standard stuff.

However with the introduction of the 60kwh, I'd expect the 40 to drop in the next year or 2 and the 60 to slot into the place.

Leaf 40 for 23k (compared to the 21.5k 24kWh in the past) and a Leaf 60 for that 28 to 30k spot.

It is then within that range that a Neo 48kwh would need to compete.

eagerv wrote: »
    Or perhaps they will tread gently initially as the Koreans are doing

Believe me, the Koreans are only appearing to be treading gently because they can't get more batteries. I sense a very aggressive but patient long term strategy lurking beneath the surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ok a few things to note

You cannot base anything on the cars that have been released so far. Hyundai and Kia haven't really invested in the raw components because they are unsure of what direction to go. Look at line up diesel/petrol/hybrid/phev, electric and hydrogen??

Nissan had the market and seem to be falling over themselves to hand it over to someone else

VW after Neo will have: VW "old" range of mild hybrid diesel, hybrid petrol and VW ID Electric. No inbetween, no messing. A full range of electric cars with plants WW to manufacturer.

Lets say they release at 32k and Leaf drops to 28k, they sell no ID....at that stage to be honest you could seel the start of the end for VW....this has to make money and the best way is a cheap electric car they can sell millions of them....its not like VW dont know how to do that(Beetle )

Lot of good commentary on where VW are at. I agree with pretty much all of it.

I agree they need to make a success of the ID range. They arent doing it for green credentials (althought that is a large part of it after dieselgate). They are doing it to make money and they will try to maximise it.

You had a good post going thorugh the various manufacturers and what their plans are and it somewhat shows what I'm saying... the ID range will have very little competition when it comes out.

If you agree on that point and if you were the guy marketing the car would you set the price at what the market can bear (and sell all of them) or would you sell it as cheaply as possible (and still just sell all of them).... do you get my point?

What is VW's incentive to sell it at €25k? They will sell every single one and then some at €30k+. Thats my point.

If they decide to undercut the Leaf then great it puts the cat among the pigeons and forces everyone to re-price down, which would be great... I just cant see it happening. It just sounds too good to be true!

The 24kwh started at €21,500 for very much entry level spec (XE) with no options. 30kwh started at €27k for mid spec (SV) model.

ok, but thats not an apples to apples there (XE vs SV). The actual price difference was €3k, iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,212 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ok, but thats not an apples to apples there (XE vs SV). The actual price difference was €3k, iirc?

I don't believe you could get the 30kWh in XE spec.
    Comparing apples to apples from memory it was a €4k upgrade to the 30kWh, initially, then reduced to approx €3k.

However with the introduction of the 60kwh, I'd expect the 40 to drop in the next year or 2 and the 60 to slot into the place.

Leaf 40 for 23k (compared to the 21.5k 24kWh in the past) and a Leaf 60 for that 28 to 30k spot.

It is then within that range that a Neo 48kwh would need to compete.

or.... Leaf 60kWh for €32, Leaf 40kWh to stay as is at €28k
    Then Neo 40kWh for €30k. People will still buy the VW at that price over the 60kWh Leaf.... ask ShefWedfan!

Why are you assuming that they will all drop the price when the 60kWh's come online. Someone would need to undercut the market for that to happen and VW dont do undercutting.

Even with VW's 1m EV's per year by 2025 its still only a small portion of the overall market. They will have no issue selling all of them so undercutting is not in their best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddy1976

I sat in the chassis of the ID. last week. Space in the back is amazing. I am 6'2 and had acres of legroom. Just so you know, it will be written ID. rather than I.D. as it was before. Neo is only the working title too, it will be called something else. Final car will be revealed next Autumn.

or.... Leaf 60kWh for €32, Leaf 40kWh to stay as is at €28k
    Then Neo 40kWh for €30k. People will still buy the VW at that price over the 60kWh Leaf.... ask ShefWedfan!

Why are you assuming that they will all drop the price when the 60kWh's come online. Someone would need to undercut the market for that to happen and VW dont do undercutting.

Even with VW's 1m EV's per year by 2025 its still only a small portion of the overall market. They will have no issue selling all of them so undercutting is not in their best interest.

Will the Neo be available with a 40kWh pack? Any info i have seen mentions 48kWh ?

• Advertisement

If you agree on that point and if you were the guy marketing the car would you set the price at what the market can bear (and sell all of them) or would you sell it as cheaply as possible (and still just sell all of them).... do you get my point?

What is VW's incentive to sell it at €25k? They will sell every single one and then some at €30k+. Thats my point.

If they decide to undercut the Leaf then great it puts the cat among the pigeons and forces everyone to re-price down, which would be great... I just cant see it happening. It just sounds too good to be true!

So you have 2 options, price high because you are the only option in market and hope the customer are willing to pay for this
    Or price competitive and wipe the competition out, so by the time they get house in order you already rule the market

In the case of VW they are actually doing both. So Audi has released the premium SUV and will have a line of cars as well.

VW brand I can see now going after the mid tier. It's not the first time I have seen 25k mentioned. So you price at 25k and suddenly you have a huge influx of customer. How many will buy 25k car? maybe 1-2% because when they go to dealership you happen to have a 28k model in stock etc etc....you can have this for 28k now or you can wait 8-12 weeks for your order..

This is not a new tactic from VW. As they have a plant firing out cars you will have people who are happy to wait extra 8-12 weeks for special delivery but that is normally because they are buying the 32k car. They want leather seats or something.....the standard punter wil take the car in stock. I see it all over VW garages everyday of the week......

Also it is easy upsell, so your 25k car does exist but it doesnt come with carnet, why would you not want to preheat/precool your car? so you can include that(26k) etc etc etc.....

If I go back to my 2 options at the start, the noise from VW is they are trying to wipe the market before everyone else gets house in order.

So you have 2 options, price high because you are the only option in market and hope the customer are willing to pay for this
    Or price competitive and wipe the competition out, so by the time they get house in order you already rule the market

In the case of VW they are actually doing both. So Audi has released the premium SUV and will have a line of cars as well.

VW brand I can see now going after the mid tier. It's not the first time I have seen 25k mentioned. So you price at 25k and suddenly you have a huge influx of customer. How many will buy 25k car? maybe 1-2% because when they go to dealership you happen to have a 28k model in stock etc etc....you can have this for 28k now or you can wait 8-12 weeks for your order..

This is not a new tactic from VW. As they have a plant firing out cars you will have people who are happy to wait extra 8-12 weeks for special delivery but that is normally because they are buying the 32k car. They want leather seats or something.....the standard punter wil take the car in stock. I see it all over VW garages everyday of the week......

Also it is easy upsell, so your 25k car does exist but it doesnt come with carnet, why would you not want to preheat/precool your car? so you can include that(26k) etc etc etc.....

If I go back to my 2 options at the start, the noise from VW is they are trying to wipe the market before everyone else gets house in order.

ok, good point.... like the $35k Model 3! :)
    Most people are paying closer to twice that!

So you predict an entry level, no frills Neo for €25k OTR in Ireland in 2020?

Will the Neo be available with a 40kWh pack? Any info i have seen mentions 48kWh ?

Its all guesswork and you have to distinguish between the headline kWh figure and the usable capacity. Nissan use total capacity, most others quote usable capacity.
    e.g. the Kona 64kWh is 64kWh usable. It actually has close to a 70kWh pack. The headline 40kWh Leaf is really only 36kWh usable. Just another thing to confuse punters!

VW have said a WLTP of 330km for entry level model Neo
    The 40kWh Leaf is ~36kWh usable and has a WLTP of 285km

Extrapolate that (and allowing for the fact that the Leaf isnt that efficient) and it should put the Neo in the 40-43kWh usable range and then gross that up takes you closer to 48kWh total.... again, guesswork, but educated guesswork.

Not an entirely new concept. VW were always good at extracting high margin options after luring people in with cheap enough base level pricing. But BMW took it to new levels altogether in the early 00s with the MINI option packages that cost thousands. Each :eek: Plenty of customers ordered several of these packages. Cost to BMW was only a tiny fraction of cost to consumer. Similar to the Tesla Model 3 extras

So you predict an entry level, no frills Neo for €25k OTR in Ireland in 2020?

The $35k Model 3 which might never arrive :p

Did I say OTR? :P what about delivery :D

Will it be advertised as starting at 25k....yes 100%.....

The $35k Model 3 which might never arrive :p

Did I say OTR? :P what about delivery :D

Will it be advertised as starting at 25k....yes 100%.....

ok, i'll get in line then! :)

I've seen a few reports now of it being priced at £22k and others saying it will be similar price to mid range Golf Tdi which would also put it at ~£23k (1.6TDi mid range).

Exchange rate, higher VAT, delivery charges and paddy pricing would put it around €28k maybe OTR for the no frills version?... right in line with the 40kWh Leaf... but it will be significantly better than the Leaf so it should wipe the board with it at that price.

€28k is also what a 5-door 1.6Tdi Golf mid-range model is currently priced at in Ireland so that would fit the narrative as well of it being priced like a mid range diesel Golf.

• Advertisement

Ok my updated price guess is €32k here in Ireland with reasonable spec for a 40kWh usable battery. I had been assuming the smallest pack was 48kWh usable.

Compares with what's being mentioned in UK press of similar to a well specced diesel golf at around £27500 Stg.

Ok my updated price guess is €32k here in Ireland with reasonable spec for a 40kWh usable battery. I had been assuming the smallest pack was 48kWh usable.

Compares with what's being mentioned in UK press of similar to a well specced diesel golf at around £27500 Stg.

Why are you using the price of a Golf in Uk as a reference?

Why are you using the price of a Golf in Uk as a reference?

Because that's what their press are quoting.

Because that's what their press are quoting.

The UK press :-)

Read any of the articles from Germany and the prices are in euro. The price of combustion engine Golf in Germany is the same price here

UK isn’t a great example, as they have to convert from Euro to UKP and guard against currency fluctuation

They manufacture in EU and euro is the currency of choice so for once we have upper hand to uk

The UK press :-)

Read any of the articles from Germany and the prices are in euro. The price of combustion engine Golf in Germany is the same price here

UK isn’t a great example, as they have to convert from Euro to UKP and guard against currency fluctuation

They manufacture in EU and euro is the currency of choice so for once we have upper hand to uk

Fair enough, we have so far very little to go on. I still cannot see VW undercutting a mid spec Leaf 40 next year.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, we have so far very little to go on. I still cannot see VW undercutting a mid spec Leaf 40 next year.

Not next year. The Neo will be on Irish plates about 2 years after the L40. That's a long time.

Everything from Germany points to a €25k Neo

https://ecomento.de/2018/09/25/vw-kompakt-elektroauto-i-d-drei-versionen-reichweite-preis/

http://elektroautovergleich.org/2018/09/elektroautos-von-volkswagen-ab-25000-e-soll-es-losgehen/

US:
    https://electrek.co/2018/09/24/vw-neo-electric-car-battery-configurations-price-report/

25k euro

This is using translate but you get the point:

Now Volkswagen is a bit more concrete, because according to the industry services, the electric driving at Volkswagen from 2020 starting from 25000 €. But in turn, because Volkswagen calls its platform MEB and this works like a kit. All 11 Group brands can pick out the suitable electromobile components from this modular MEB kit, and then their own brand such as Skoda, Seat, etc. is glued to the car. So different brands share a platform and you can take advantage of huge mass production. If one builds his electric drive just for one million vehicles, then the single drive becomes cheaper than if one equips only 220000 Gölfe.
    Electric cars are cheaper with kits

All of these could be wrong of course, but they all have to be getting 25k from somewhere....if the Golf is priced the same in Germany as in Ireland then we have to expect the ID will have the same price

I looked at the first one you posted and they mentioned €29k!
    Are you picking the figures that you like or the figures you think it will be! :)

The basic version of the ID is equipped with information from Auto Express with 48-kWh battery and the price of a well-equipped diesel Golf offered - that for around 29,000 euros

That's back to what has been quoted alot... VW trying to hit the price point of a mid-range diesel Golf.... €28k in Ireland.

And that would be for:
    The entry-level version will have a 330-kilometer WLTP range and limited performance.

So, as you said before, the entry model will be something people wont necessarily want in large numbers. A bit like the Leaf XE. The "real" Neo will be the next one up (€30k+)?

So, as you said before, the entry model will be something people wont necessarily want in large numbers.

Are you joking? Paddy loves his paddy spec base models. Preferably with a free solid colour too, why pay for metallic paint? :p

But jokes aside, I for one think people going for base models get far better value. A typical optional extra costs you €1000 for every €100 it costs the manufacturer. They see you coming from miles away, you optional box tickers. Fools and their money!

I hope the basic one with smallest pack is coming in at €25k.

Would make the 64kWh or whatever perhaps almost affordable.
    Rear wheel drive, decent HP and proper wheels..

The Neo looks like a winner and shows what you can do with ground up new EV platform. The more completion the merrier and will force the other makers to get their backside on gear. Let's hope the VW have enough batteries available this time.

The specs make the Nissan look old hat and Hyundai/Kia overpriced and inelegant with their battery packs hanging from their backside front tyres struggling for grip, especially fully laden.

Are you joking? Paddy loves his paddy spec base models. Preferably with a free solid colour too, why pay for metallic paint? :p

But jokes aside, I for one think people going for base models get far better value. A typical optional extra costs you €1000 for every €100 it costs the manufacturer. They see you coming from miles away, you optional box tickers. Fools and their money!

I know, alot of people take what the dealers have ready in stock and they get the paddy spec to keep the price down.

The outcry on the Kona thread suggests otherwise but I suppose the folks going for the Kona are not the typical punters.

I know, alot of people take what the dealers have ready in stock and they get the paddy spec to keep the price down.

The outcry on the Kona thread suggests otherwise but I suppose the folks going for the Kona are not the typical punters.

Electric car drivers are spoilt brats :-) Only joking.....most electric car drivers are used to have loads of extras

Now your standard combustion engine driver thinks it is great to get dual control air con.....self parking is a something that will come in 2050

People will walk into VW dealer and buy the stock car because as you said the dealer will throw them a bit of a deal and they will walk out happy!!

The problem dealers have at the moment with electric car drivers is they know too much, they can't wait for the average Joe Soap to walk in without a bloody clue....then they can rip them off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Brera

I hope the basic one with smallest pack is coming in at €25k.

Would make the 64kWh or whatever perhaps almost affordable.
    Rear wheel drive, decent HP and proper wheels..

And let’s not forget you’ll be getting the same interior space as in a Passat !

If they can offer it for €25K they won’t be able to build it fast enough.

I’m hoping the base battery will be in the 25-30K mark with the middle one around 35K, with it being around 40K for the largest battery pack.

Ordinary joe soaps will be worried about range so VW dealers will be able to make a lot more selling say an 80kwh battery for example at 40K to someone who really only needs the entry level battery pack

https://pushevs.com/2018/10/04/more-info-about-volkswagen-electric-triplets/

Other options from VW

Maybe a 49kWh battery pack for Neo if that is one for the other cars?

Interesting is the electric Skoda SUV in 2020....will this be a cheap version of the VW Crozz to launch in Europe like the Crozz is in US?

Now that would be hugely interesting,.....I think I could even drive a Skoda in that case :-)

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/innovation/skodas-electric-future/

• Advertisement

https://pushevs.com/2018/10/04/more-info-about-volkswagen-electric-triplets/

Other options from VW

Maybe a 49kWh battery pack for Neo if that is one for the other cars?

Interesting is the electric Skoda SUV in 2020....will this be a cheap version of the VW Crozz to launch in Europe like the Crozz is in US?

Now that would be hugely interesting,.....I think I could even drive a Skoda in that case :-)

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/innovation/skodas-electric-future/

I thinks it’s really exciting to see all the new models coming from the VAG group. The more EVs and the more choice for consumers the better.

It would appear that the group is going to benefit greatly from platform sharing.

When you combine that with the drop in battery cost from changes to chemistry and increased manufacturing they are really onto a winner.

Let’s see how the other manufactures respond next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭denismc

Electric car drivers are spoilt brats :-) Only joking.....most electric car drivers are used to have loads of extras

Now your standard combustion engine driver thinks it is great to get dual control air con.....self parking is a something that will come in 2050

People will walk into VW dealer and buy the stock car because as you said the dealer will throw them a bit of a deal and they will walk out happy!!

The problem dealers have at the moment with electric car drivers is they know too much, they can't wait for the average Joe Soap to walk in without a bloody clue....then they can rip them off :p

Interesting! When Skoda released the Karoq last year the lowest spec available was the Ambition which was traditionally the mid-level spec.
    When I asked a salesman why this was, he replied that people have little interest in cars with basic spec.
    Could it be that PCP is tempting people to buy more pimped out cars for a few extra quid a week?

denismc wrote: »
    Interesting! When Skoda released the Karoq last year the lowest spec available was the Ambition which was traditionally the mid-level spec.
    When I asked a salesman why this was, he replied that people have little interest in cars with basic spec.
    Could it be that PCP is tempting people to buy more pimped out cars for a few extra quid a week?

More than likely due to PCP. VW were offering lower APR on highline models so a higline spec ended up costing the same amount per month as a treadline model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Harder to sell on.

Though they used to say you don't get your money back thats spend on extras. It would make them easier to sell on.

Not sure where this guy got his info so decide for yourself
    Its a good summary of what Seat/Skoda/VW have announced so far.

Snippet...
    48kWh and 62kWh battery packs
    Rear wheel drive as default with AWD option.

beauf wrote: »
    Harder to sell on.

Though they used to say you don't get your money back thats spend on extras. It would make them easier to sell on.

When you are buying they tell you it will be harder to sell with lower spec

When you walk back in the door 3-4 year later and talk to the same salesman he will tell you second hand cars dont sell any easier with a higher spec :P

Believe me, this happened in a dealer with me

Not sure where this guy got his info so decide for yourself
    Its a good summary of what Seat/Skoda/VW have announced so far.

Snippet...
    48kWh and 62kWh battery packs
    Rear wheel drive as default with AWD option.

More or less he has read all the website and press releases and just put into a video. Nothing really new here....probably covered most in this thread already.....Apart from the 62kWh which never heard before and doesn't seem right as they now have said it will 3 batteries?

Factories seem wrong, VW are building a new one in US to provide supply....second thought, maybe the 16 are Skoda/Seat etc.....

The RWD and AWD was confirmed with they discussed the Crozz in the US when they announced it.....

Still a good video and good to have all the info in one place......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....When you walk back in the door 3-4 year later and talk to the same salesman he will tell you second hand cars dont sell any easier with a higher spec :P...

Kinda predictable no...

beauf wrote: »
    Kinda predictable no...

Oh 100%....was just funny it was the exact same salesman.....

• Advertisement

Just when we started to get excited it might get pulled away

https://insideevs.com/volkswagen-electric-car-delay-id-hatch/

Advertisement