Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ERCC SF: Racing 92 vs Munster; Sun 22nd April 3:15pm; BT Sport 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Akrasia wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact the referee cost us 2 tries

He didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Scoreline is extremely flattering to Munster. They weren't in the game at all for 65 minutes. Racing completely dominated them in all aspects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Zebo will fit in well with that Racing team next year
    Never fully appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Munster just have too many average players unfortunately. Well well beaten, shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

For the best munster lost in reality. They would have been easy pickings for leinster in the final. Munster should aim for the pro 14 now and hope leinster have their eyes on the big prize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

We won the second half lads

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

So many chances by the wayside especially the one right at the wnd of the first half and the Copeland one.

Racing far superior though and deserved finalists.

Hope Leinster go on and do it now, though I wont be disappointed if Donnacha Ryan ends up winning either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hurrache wrote: »
    He didn't.

At least 1 try. That pass wasn't forward

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He didn't cost you two tries. There was possibly one. The Marshall non-try was the correct call. He used the referee as a shield deliberately. It was smart play if he had gotten away with it.

Doyle gave Racing 13 penalties and a yellow card despite them dominating the contact area. Trying to blame the referee for anything right now is deflecting from far more significant shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Score may not reflect but Munster kept at it while Racing slowed down and they can not afford to do that in the final as if that game was 10 minutes longer they could find it hard to shift back up the gears

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Munster just have too many average players unfortunately. Well well beaten, shame.

We have excellent players, Taute, Cloete, Chris farrell, Bleyandaal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭letowski

DOC is right, Racing have taken the foot off the gas and are allowing Munster's lack of composure keep the score line in check.

Thats very true but it was also noticable they were tiring quite a bit. It was very hot there tbf, but Im not sure could they 80 against a much more potent Leinster attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Think Munster need to have a look at a couple of positions. 10 is obvious, they need somebody to come through there. I'd be looking at an NIQ older player for a couple of years with serious focus on producing something homegrown to come in after the ship has been steadied there. Think the front 5 is also not quite up to the very top level but they are certainly more than serviceable. I'd say similar about centre (once you look past Farrell)

At the end if the day though, semi final in Europe with that group is serious going and shows the spirit in that side. Some tweaks needed but not major surgery, except for at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

When playing in France, you always have to weather that early storm. Munster weren't right from the start and the tries just rattled them more. It's a shame because Munster would usually make a good game of that. Racing were great in defence the whole game though and deserve to go through. Should be a good final anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah now that's just sour grapes we were well beaten by Racing even if the score at the end does not show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I don't agree. I thought the ref was good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Donncha Ryan is pretty good. Non stop, everywhere, all the time. Was head and shoulders above the Munster 2 row.
    Jj's 30 meter garryowen was stupid, must have been on a different page than the chasers.
    The back row was lethargic. A non factor. Wooten was not up to par. Neither was Keatley.
    Disappointing.

Buer wrote: »
    He didn't cost you two tries. There was possibly one. The Marshall non-try was the correct call. He used the referee as a shield deliberately. It was smart play if he had gotten away with it.

Doyle gave Racing 13 penalties and a yellow card despite them dominating the contact area. Trying to blame the referee for anything right now is deflecting from far more significant shortcomings.

I'm not blaming the referee, I'm just cross that we did come back, we did score the points but they were not counted. Munster would have won if they played to their standard but they were off the pace for most of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Munster still a long way from winning Europe again, it’s a good XV just nowhere near the best one in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think it says a lot that I'm not sure I've seen POM mentioned in the past 10-15 pages.

Munster's biggest names just didn't show up today at all.

• Advertisement

I'm not blaming the referee, I'm just cross that we did come back, we did score the points but they were not counted. Munster would have won if they played to their standard but they were off the pace for most of the game

Unfortunatley I don't think Munster playing the way they did today had any hope of beating Racing playing the way they played today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

We have excellent players, Taute, Cloete, Chris farrell, Bleyandaal...

Farrell and Cloete would have made a difference today, but with an average front 5 and below average 10 (at European level) it's just too much for the rest to prop up.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Unfortunatley I don't think Munster playing the way they did today had any hope of beating Racing playing the way they played today.

Racing deserved to win, but Munster could have snuck it if that 'forward pass' was allowed to go to the TMO. That was a game changer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Racing deserved to win, but Munster could have snuck it if that 'forward pass' was allowed to go to the TMO. That was a game changer

Racing stopped playing pretty early on, you can't complain about game changers at that point in the game.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Racing stopped playing pretty early on, you can't complain about game changers at that point in the game.

You can when you lose by 5 points. Its a game of momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I know it can be difficult to tell when the camera is stuck on halfway but on first impressions, Zebos pass to Copeland looked flat. Especially with the new interpretation of the rule that the ball can start backwards and drift forward and still allow play to continue, I’m really surprised it was blown immediately. Would have really changed the game at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why did Racing bring their starting props back on at the end. I think they finished with the same front row that started.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Why did Racing bring their starting props back on at the end. I think they finished with the same front row that started.

Probably because some of their props are the most out of shape players I've ever seen play top level. Tamefuina, or however you spell his name, is almost comically fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Racing much the better team but they coughed up a lot of chances to Munster. Subs made a difference for Munster when they came on. Marshall Groebler and Zebo brought a bit more physicality to Munster at that stage of the game.

• Advertisement

I'm hearing good things about the Racing supporters in Bordeaux this evening - very sporting, clapping Munster fans etc. OK it's easy when you've won, but still nice to hear.

Racing took the foot off the pedal once they had the game won. They were thinking ahead to their next Top 14 matches - they're third in the table, and want to be in the top 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Farrell and Cloete would have made a difference today, but with an average front 5 and below average 10 (at European level) it's just too much for the rest to prop up.
    What ever about 10, we've a very good front 5. Scannell had an off day, actually scratch that, 1-23 had an off day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Experienced ref. Wayne Barnes was right in line and called it immediately. J P Doyle was very close to being in line and didn't disagree.

Hence the suggestion that the TMO should have been called in to adjudicate from a worse camera angle than Barnes's line of sight is risible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

vienne86 wrote: »
    I'm hearing good things about the Racing supporters in Bordeaux this evening - very sporting, clapping Munster fans etc. OK it's easy when you've won, but still nice to hear.

Racing took the foot off the pedal once they had the game won. They were thinking ahead to their next Top 14 matches - they're third in the table, and want to be in the top 2.

Oh, these lads have form!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/racing-fans-open-houses-munster-9567229

I have great respect for Racing and ASM fans.

budhabob wrote: »
    What ever about 10, we've a very good front 5. Scannell had an off day, actually scratch that, 1-23 had an off day

I think Scannell is the next Irish starting hooker, but beyond him the front 5 is full of good, not excellent players, for me anyway. When you look at other teams who want to compete at the business end, they probably outstrip Munster in two areas: front 5 and number 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

A dire spectacle - apart from Murray and Conway - and while nobody minds losing it's the manner of the defeat. Really it's about time Ian Keatley hung up his boots. :(

• Advertisement

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Oh, these lads have form!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/racing-fans-open-houses-munster-9567229

I have great respect for Racing and ASM fans.
    Are there any French club fans that don't earn respect? Have never had anything but good experiences there myself.

Squatter wrote: »
    Experienced ref. Wayne Barnes was right in line and called it immediately. J P Doyle was very close to being in line and didn't disagree.

Hence the suggestion that the TMO should have been called in to adjudicate from a worse camera angle than Barnes's line of sight is risible.

It was marginal and should have been judged by the tmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

It was marginal and should have been judged by the tmo

Nonsense! It should have been - and was - adjudicated on judged by the officials on the pitch who had the best view. Why not read the latest World Rugby TMO protocol before pontificating on something that you don't appear to understand?

http://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/TMO_Protocol_Jan_18_EN.pdf

Squatter wrote: »
    Nonsense! It should have been - and was - adjudicated on judged by the officials on the pitch who had the best view. Why not read the latest World Rugby TMO protocol before pontificating on something that you don't appear to understand?

http://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/TMO_Protocol_Jan_18_EN.pdf

Nah, not reading that. Quote the relevant part if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Nah, not reading that. Quote the relevant part if you like.

The thing about blaming the ref is that people only ever see the injustice against their own team.

The ref was fine. He made the right calls. Munster had much bigger problems today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Possibly the two most one sided SFs in the history of the competition but the losers in both can't have any complaints,tickets should be easier to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Obviously it was the trendy/PC/patriotic thing all week to wish an all-Ireland final, but personally I thought Leinster would wipe the floor with Munster, and I prefer a closer final.

Munster were pretty terrible in the first half. Their coach needs to talk a hard look at himself, starting Zebo on the bench behind Wootton. I know many people love to not love Zebo, but Wootton looked overwhelmed out there and unsurprisingly pulled shortly after half-time.

The problem for Munster is they really only have 1 world class player (Murray), who had a pretty iffy first half. It's not helped that Keatley is not up to the task at the higher echelons. Schmidt will be thinking a little bit about POM and CJS too, who were pretty anonymous.

Still, a European semi is a good achievement for Munster, who are in a bit of a rebuilding stage.

I'd pick Leinster to win the final by about 15 to 20 points TBH, although the lack of a Dublin location will help Racing.

The thing about blaming the ref is that people only ever see the injustice against their own team.

The ref was fine. He made the right calls. Munster had much bigger problems today.

Munster were far from their best. But they dominated the 2nd half and could have won if their possibly legitimate tries had been awarded

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think Scannell is the next Irish starting hooker, but beyond him the front 5 is full of good, not excellent players, for me anyway. When you look at other teams who want to compete at the business end, they probably outstrip Munster in two areas: front 5 and number 10.

In European terms
    4 props today are good. But no more then that
    Both Hookers are very good

Holland is a good player but again nowhere near top level. Kleyn would be a cut above Holland but still not top level in Euro context.

Pom and Stander were hugely disappointing today. Days like this you need your big game players. These two were anonymous which isn't acceptable
    JOD isn't a 7 so can't be too harsh about him.

Early on Munster needed points to settle into the game. They went to the corner and didnt score and had two poor drop goal attempts. That's poor leadership. If as it looked like IK didn't want to take the shot so the ball should have been given to either Murray or R Scannell

Keatley is a good pro14 level player but that's where it ends. He makes too many glaring errors when kicking. Missing touch early on was criminal. You just can't do that at this level.

That garryowen from JJH was the most pointless kick I've ever seen. He just isn't good enough. Maybe Rory Scannell can be given a go at 10 if TB doesn't get back to last year's form.

Munster are 2 props, a 2nd row (Beirne will be good addition), a top class 7, 10 and 11/14/15 short at european level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Munster were far from their best. But they dominated the 2nd half and could have won if their possibly legitimate tries had been awarded

There was nothing legitimate about them. Marshall used the referee as a shield. It was illegal and correctly ruled out. The pass to a Copeland was forward. I feel it should have been checked for sure but upon watching it again, it went forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

its_phil wrote: »
    Munster still a long way from winning Europe again, it’s a good XV just nowhere near the best one in Europe

To be fair, Racing are a very very strong side. I watched them in the QF beat a very good Clermont Auvergne playing in Clermonts bear pit of a stadium - and they won comfortably.

I always thought Munster were going to be up against it today. Racing are a very serious proposition when it counts - especially playing in France.

I could not understand why so many supporters and pundits thought this was going to be a close call.

All the guff about Munsters history in Europe means nothing. All the palaver about 'Liginds' and the Munster spirit.

It always comes down to who are the better team on the day. It always looked liked Racing.

Leinster are ferocious at the moment - but Racing will put up a really good fight.

Munster need some new players (and less myths and legends).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There was nothing legitimate about them. Marshall used the referee as a shield. It was illegal and correctly ruled out. The pass to a Copeland was forward. I feel it should have been checked for sure but upon watching it again, it went forward

Using the ref as a shield is fine. You just can't touch the ref. Ref called it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

First twenty minutes were criminal.. forwards were still in the dressing room.

lawred2 wrote: »
    First twenty minutes were criminal.. forwards were still in the dressing room.
    Reggie? Is that you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The commentary teams of satellite broadcasters are rarely interested in actual detail, they just have a checklist of tabloid platitudes to tick off and in-game promos for their upcoming games to get through. Stick the cookie monster on the radio there.

Yeah I need to start doing that in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement