Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's up €250,000 since it was first listed according to the link. The rumour is that they found an oil well beneath the house (not really). It looks like a nice big house, but the photos may be deceptive. If they get it, I'm putting mine up for €1m. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So are official valuations of houses way off then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Really seems to depend on the agent, I sold recently and one of them valued it 25% above the other 2 valuations and it sold for the lower amount!

But there's plenty of idiots who don't do their research so it could go for that...

There was a house for sale earlier this year with a high enough valuation (outside Dublin) which went way over as there was a bidding war been 2 potential buyers who weren't from the area and thought they were getting a bargain....the buyer has since been told they have to return to the office, so they tried to put it back on the market but no agent would sell it for the price they want so they used one of the "sell it yourself" website and haven't go a shred of interest in the last 2 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So legally can you put it on the market for whatever price you want ? even if it's way above the actual market value ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You can market your house at whatever price you like - the market value is what someone is willing to pay for it.

There's always the chance that you'll get two or more buyers who'll force the price up by bidding against each other - but that usually happens with very desirable houses, and/or very desirable areas, which I wouldn't class that D. Barn house as!

There's also always the (vastly more likely) chance that if it's ridiculously overpriced, you'll get no viewers or offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't actually mind the look of that apart from a few decoration changes, it's a fine pile of bricks. I think they've over-done the building work and are looking to make some of the money back which brings it way over the ceiling for the area. It's a massive house, they've sacrificed 80% of the garden to get it that big though - a garden that looks to have a factories to the rear and side so maybe no real loss.

But it comes down to who with that kind of money would want to live there? Maybe split it into rentals? While not officially the Barn, it's close enough that I wouldn't argue the toss. It's going back a while but I can remember twice from my youth being at matches in the field behind where the changing rooms were burgled during play. It's close to town, probably on 20 min walk to Paddy's cathedral so I suppose it has that going for it. My thoughts come back to rentals - maybe they're hoping for a big landlord who sees a few quid in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Very 1970's in general. Also, What's in those blue Barrels? (At least you'd be able to have a cool drink after a shower)

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/craig-house-lower-main-street-ballyporeen-tipperary/4530429

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No idea what those blue barrels originally held, but I have one in the garden that acts as a rainwater butt.

It looks like a decent enough house if a bit overpriced for the area, but I could not see one single detail of the interior decor that I could live with!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hmm, the blue barrels often held acid for silage and then as poster above said repurposed as water butts.

Am I the only one who finds it really sad that someone decluttered that house, cleaned it within an inch of its life, possibly fitted new carpets, had it neat as a new pin for the photos - and 100% guaranteed, the buyer is just going to take a wrecking ball to it all 😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a friend who was selling a house years ago - very similar in many ways to the Ballyporeen house. She proudly told me about the redecorating and new carpets they had invested in to sell the house.

At work one day my boss tells me he had decided to move house and had found a suitable place, and bought it. Its a pity they bothered redecorating and putting down cheap carpets, he said, we'll have to strip them all out and do a lot of refurbishment before redecorating.

Yes, it was the same house. (He was quite right, the house did need a good bit of work and the new carpets were horrible.)

Yeah - you can't not do it, but you can kinda see the love and pride in that Ballyporeen house, and then someone's just going to come in and tear it all down.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit maudlin of a Friday night, but I just find it a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I dpn't know why, I think it reminds me of a few good childhood places I went to as a kid, but I love wood panelling in a building I'm visiting briefly. Especially if the sun is shining, but even in the rain. Not sure with carpets, and not sure about that much wood. I wouldn't have wood paneling in my house, but wood definitely keep a house near a woodland or something, with all of it's original stuff. Couldn't handle the carpets though.

IS that a shower beside a fridge freezer in picture 16? 🤯

@Suckit As far as I can make out it is.

It looks like they just shoved one in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

If its a farm house I see why it might be there.

If it was a dirty day you have the shower to clean off and the fridge freezer might be there for farm medicines. I'm presuming its not a kitchen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My thinking is someone living there lost enough mobility to use the stairs and this was the temporary (?) solution to showering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭wassie

Ideal for budding serial killer wanting clean themselves up in the shower immediately after putting their trophies/keepsakes in the fridge. As for the barrels, well they are handy enough for getting rid of the left overs. Actually happened in Oz.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Ikwym. I guess though after buying a house, money can be quite scarce so the new owner might be more than happy to leave it as is until they can afford to start changing some things.

I find it sad when I see houses where it's obvious that they are being sold after the owner's death, and it almost feels intrusive to be able to see sometimes that the conditions they lived in, were not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Morning!. Sorry, I just need to get milk from the fridge.

Fire away, don't mind me, just having my early morning **** in the shower.

Oh, OK. Would you not use the bathroom upstairs for that?

No. Mary's hoovering that particular bathroom right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Looks like the owners haven't changed a thing since long before Ronald Reagan farted nearby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I think that is a utility room or back porch, which explains the shower (and possibly the fridge....)

That's what I thought of when I saw the barrels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Anybody else notice a lot of telescopes appearing in estate agent's photos? I've been looking at houses for sale in the Kilkenny area and there's frequently an impressive looking telescope taking pride of place in a hall or living room. Clearly a prop, but a bit odd I thought.

See pictures 32 and 34 here...

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-clomantagh-barna-clonmantagh-co-kilkenny/3547587

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

peeping toms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Another in Kilkenny, just to prove it wasn't a once off, and it's a different telescope 😂

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-finnan-ballyragget-co-kilkenny/3498911

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭josip

They're both astronomical telescopes and f all use to a peeping Tom unless they strap themselves in upside down :)

Makes sense to see them in rural locations where they don't have to put up with as much light pollution as the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

€200 per week for a Studio in Mullingar but you can only stay there for 4 nights a week. "SELF Contained Studio - Available Mon - Fri ONLY (4nights)"

The living room is basically the hall with a small kitchen built in :)

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/studio-apartment-23-chestnut-grove-mullingar-co-westmeath/3547512

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is that a baby crib in the bedroom? Someone lived there with a baby??

That is shocking. Doesn’t even have a cooker. Microwaved pastas and pizzas Monday to Thursday. I pity the person who spends their week living there at half, a quarter, of that price. Would be a miserable existence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Advertisement