Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

I agree... to a point. I wouldn't mind the lack of electricity so much (although the compost toilet doesn't sound too appealing) you could get a generator, but the lack of water is the deal breaker. Living 24 hrs in the modern world without running water is a nightmare never mind perpetually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

"Built from local stone"

Looks like an off the shelf land commission cottage to me. The ones of that era are typically mass concrete and flaky

(basing that on the half dozen we looked at in that region)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah like how are you supposed the wash the dishes? In the lake or something? Or be lugging loads of 5 litre water bottles on your boat from 'the mainland'?

130k is way over priced for that anyway, the seller in New Zealand is chancing their arm that someone has more money than sense. It could actually be a scam given they are trying to sell it themselves from abroad. Anyone paying a 13k deposit for that into a foreign bank account has no comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No 5 €¦.there is nothing OLD about this development€¦ it is all late nineteen seventies €¦when the idea of timber frame was NEW €¦. and the idea was to build simple cosy homes for the burgeoning second home owner 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

To me the only thing really wrong with this is the price €1250 is an absolute outrage and demonstrates why we really need rent control.

If this place was say 400 a month it would serve a valuable purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,204 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I would applaud the idea of creating comfortable holiday homes, and it nestles nicely into its surroundings, there is very little Old Irish about that. It is not even appealing with its off centre front door and those odd shaped windows apparently dropped in randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A heap of stone they have the absolute gall to describe as a "cottage" and a few acres of sh1t farm land for 400k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's some price 400k. Talk about chancing the arm.

Then that house on the island near Athlone is another chancer but not as much as that land in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭wassie

In fairness it is listed as a site in the search results. But a ruin yes, cottage no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The important thing though is that it was a cottage, so this means that planning permission is going to be far easier to get than if it was just a greenfield site.

Still fcukin mental money though.

• Advertisement

It depends on Planning rules, a ruin is not necessarily a cottage. How flexible the interpretation is depends largely on the local Planning, though the general rules are supposed to be national. If for example there is an old cottage that was most recently used as a shed or animal shelter then it probably will not qualify as a cottage, its not as simple as 'there is a pile of stones that looks as though it was a cottage, therefore it is a cottage'.

Yeah that is true, buying a ruin of a house is no guarantee of getting planning, Wicklow CC can be sticklers on this.

400k is an insane price though for a ruin and 5.5 acres of stoney land. If it was just the land for sale it wouldnt be worth much more than 50k. So lobbing on an extra 350k to the price because it once had a stone cottage on it is pure chancery.

Also the seller isnt accepting any of the risk. So if someone bought that for 400k and got refused planning permisson then what they would have is a stony field barely worth 50k.The refusal of permission will be on the public record meaning no one else would buy it as a site. Something like that should be offered for sale subject to planning permission and allow the purchaser to see if planning will be granted before the sale closes. Otherwise a purchaser is taking on a risk of 350k with no guarantees it will work out.

Would you even get €50k for 5.5 acres of stoney "agricultural" land?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just remembered when I was a student back in the mid-80’s, I had a, what would now be called a studio, in Rathgar that was smaller than that place. I loved it, you could open the fridge with your foot while lying in bed. Rent was €29 a week.

I was also in a studio except Galway rather than Dublin. I'm actually looking for a place to move to atm and it is very difficult to get any where. Any place at a reasonable price has a tonne of people looking to view. I travelled a long distance to view a place and didn't get it so now when I enquire I ask how many people were interested and they say a lot and I'd just leave it and don't even bother to view it as I know I will not get it.

Anyway back to the point I wish I could find another studio to live in. Oh yea another point I have a car so alot of places above shops in main streets are out for me since no free parking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I misread that at first as 40k, and thought that was a lot. 😂

Well I was being generous by allowing 10k per acre but no you are right, stoney land in Connemara is worth fcuk all unless it comes with planning permission, which that 5.5 acres site asking 400k does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Perfect for a Canamericanadian. €400k plus a generous tip. 😜

That must be who they are targeting.

There must surely be planning that has just been omitted from the listing. And weirdly, it states ‘mains water’ as an attribute?

Its Sherry Fitz, hardly a cowboy outfit. Something doesn’t add up

Oh yea another point I have a car so alot of places above shops in main streets are out for me since no free parking.

Usually residents in town centres can buy an annual parking permit off the council to park on the street, should be info on the councils website

• Advertisement

It's big I'll give it that, but to my mind it's soulless and another house you'd ideally need shares in Ronseal.

If you'd a classroom of kids or wanted to run a B&B, but would you pay nearly a million for this fairly isolated Limerick house?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-mountain-view-rochestown-grange-co-limerick/3491810

If it had planning that would be its single biggest selling point so an agent would definitely mention it. It wouldnt surprise me if it is being advertised on US sites with the hope of snagging a wealthy dreamer, I cant see any Irish person paying 400k for a stoney field with no planning

jaysis 106 photographs in the listing, the estate agent must have thought he was a papparazzi.

Its an interesting design with the drive through car port, no need for reversng out of there. But yeah its a bit soulless because of its sheer size of 520sqm. I dont think its ever possible for a house of that size to feel homely

It seems way over complicated with its dressing room/wardrobe/en suite arrangements; I'd have every bit of that varnished wood painted and there is a kind of souless cheapo-looking finish to the interior decoration, though nothing wrong with the quality I'd guess. Its a house that needs a bit of love.

Its not all that isolated, there are other houses around and a pub nearby and they say 10 minutes to Limerick which probably means about 20 minutes. I wouldn't reject it on that basis, but it isn't nearly a million's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There is an inflation calculator that you can go to and it told me that £29 punt is the same as €76 today.

Just shows how much people are getting rode for rent in 2021. When I was a student in Dundalk 4 of us rented a 3 bed house for 80 punt a week and that was in the early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There isn't one thing I like about that Limerick house. It looks like it was built that size to impress the neighbours rather than create a home and all the landscaping is on the approach to the house, from inside you're looking at stones.

All the interior pine, the decking and leather couches are tacky AF too. No year mentioned, but I'd guess early to mid 00s and Celtic Tiger notions.

I don't know a lot of you seem to dislike that Limerick house. I would love it. But I can't even afford a normal house never mind one close to a mil.

It's not that it's a fine home, but if you had a million would you spend it on that given the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Re the Limerick mansion. I Street viewed the crossroads where the pub is located to get an idea where all the nearest towns are. Let's just say that the pub facade tells you exactly what type of people live around there. Tally-Ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-56-leopardstown-road-foxrock-sandyford-dublin-18/3502489

I think the word "eclectic" was written for this house. Overall I'm impressed by how much house you get from what looks like a small dormer from the front. The bar in the entrance hall is pure amazing, and the bedrooms look good. But some of the other choices....

Advertisement