Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poirier vs Gaethje

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Dustin, you ain't getting that title fight son.

You're fighting Eddie, if you're lucky.
    Why not? The way I see it, It's either Alvarez or Porrier who will get the next shot at Khabib's title Alvarez is the most deserving but Porier is not out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Alvarez won’t fight Dustin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

derfderf wrote: »
    Someone has to get it. Tony's out for a while, who knows what Conor will do.

It's Conor or Eddie fighting Khabib next.
    Either that or GSP decides to accept the fight in MSG in November, or they throw a bag of cash at Nate.

Either that or GSP decides to accept the fight in MSG in November, or they throw a bag of cash at Nate.

GSP's no interest in Khabib. Not a big enough draw. I don't think he's serious about the 155 belt either. Maybe at 165.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

McGregor and Fergerson are the least likely opponents up next for Khabib. If Mcgregor ever does fight in the UFC again it probably won't be for atleast another year, Also White said he won't make the Khabib/Ferguson fight again.

Eddie Alvarez would make the most sense to fight Khabib next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

miocicmma wrote: »
    don't forget Raging Al iaquinta.

No no, you can forget about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Alvarez is the most deserving but Porier is not out of the question

Eddie was arguably incorrectly awarded a draw when him and Dustin fought.

Dustin could be on a 4 fight win streak; Eddie 1 how is he more deserving??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Why not? The way I see it, It's either Alvarez or Porrier who will get the next shot at Khabib's title Alvarez is the most deserving but Porier is not out of the question

On no planet is Eddie the most deserving.

Since losing to Conor Eddie has beaten Gaethje and had the NC with Dustin.

In that same time frame Dustin has taken out Miller, Pettis and Gaethje.

It's pretty clear who the most deserving is and it ain't Mr. Alvarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They're going to have to rename that thing "The Justin Gaethje Fight of the Year Award" when he inevitably gets CTE and drives his truck into a wall, in 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Cracking main event. I pray they do Khabib v Poirier next. He deserves it and I also think Poirier would give Khabib a great fight. Khabib v Ferguson is obviously the best match in the division but I just can't be arsed seeing that fight scheduled again for another while. Gaethje reminds me of Forrest Griffin - an absolute dog of a fighter. Really hope he gets a W next, it would be a crying shame to see him with 3 losses in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Gaethje is an empty head and will end up spending his bonuses on soup sooner rather than later. You wouldn't know he was this "top wrestler" because his last few fights he has been in slug fests. He is Alverez with half a brain. How he got that big of a ranking by beating Michael Johnson is beyond me.

ILloyd admit if that round went the distance porrier was gone due to leg kicks, if Gaethje sticks to kicks and wrestling he could become something. If not he will be held onto by UFC for years due to his scraps and not talent but he is on track to being Another joe lauzon or Diego sanchez

fitzparker wrote: »
    Gaethje is an empty head and will end up spending his bonuses on soup sooner rather than later. You wouldn't know he was this "top wrestler" because his last few fights he has been in slug fests. He is Alverez with half a brain. How he got that big of a ranking by beating Michael Johnson is beyond me.

ILloyd admit if that round went the distance porrier was gone due to leg kicks, if Gaethje sticks to kicks and wrestling he could become something. If not he will be held onto by UFC for years due to his scraps and not talent but he is on track to being Another joe lauzon or Diego sanchez

He doesn't have it in him to champ even with adjustments. But he'll keep getting main events and will probably be a top 5 gatekeeper.

fitzparker wrote: »

There have been fighters like Gaethje all throughout the history of combat sports. They become some of the most beloved figures. Not everyone has to be technically proficient - fighters like Gaethje make combat sports what they are. Extremely exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

What a fight that was . Poirier was opening up a putting everything behind them from the off . Thought the kicks were going to be the difference but Dustin just had to much for him. If Poirier had another bit of power behind his shots I’d fancy him against Khabib but not sure if he has the power that can make a difference .

Poirer's boxing was pretty nice last night. His jab set up his shots well, he rarely threw singles and his body work was nice. Did well to keep power in his hands on one leg too. Round 3 was touch and go for him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Gaethje is simply overrated, laughable to think people were touting him as the man to beat McGregor after the Johnson fight - Conor would make minced meat of him with that defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Gaethje is simply overrated, laughable to think people were touting him as the man to beat McGregor after the Johnson fight - Conor would make minced meat of him with that defence.

completely overrated, lucky enough not to be 0/3 in the ufc
    he's a walking punchbag, tough but that's about it

really fancied dustin to win this though I thought he'd get it done earlier

In all seriousness who was suggesting that Gaethje was the man to beat McGregor or even challenge for the title? I don't remember any of that. When he came over from WSOF he was known as an outrageously exciting brawler who'll take one to land one. He stopped MJ, and had two very good showings against Alvarez and Poirier, two top contenders. To say he's a punching bag is ridiculous. Hes fought two top contenders and had two FOTY contenders. Its classic MMA fan mentality, the winner is excellent and the loser is crap. Its nonsense. You can be sure Alvarez and Poirier certainly don't consider him a punching bag. I'd say Poirier is going around in a wheelchair today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

dulux99 wrote: »
    In all seriousness who was suggesting that Gaethje was the man to beat McGregor or even challenge for the title? I don't remember any of that. When he came over from WSOF he was known as an outrageously exciting brawler who'll take one to land one. He stopped MJ, and had two very good showings against Alvarez and Poirier, two top contenders. To say he's a punching bag is ridiculous. Hes fought two top contenders and had two FOTY contenders. Its classic MMA fan mentality, the winner is excellent and the loser is crap. Its nonsense. You can be sure Alvarez and Poirier certainly don't consider him a punching bag. I'd say Poirier is going around in a wheelchair today.

I hate to see a lad taking that many head strikes, he's way too reckless and too easy to hit, just too tough for his own good
    he's good no doubt about that but he can't go on fighting like that forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Gaethje's post fight media scrum. A few notable points from it, He reckons he has 5 more fights left then he's done, he doesn't care if he wins or loses he justs wants his fights to be entertaining and he says it's impossible now to change his fight style. This is they way he fights until he retires. Also he's eating a cookie throughout it which for some reason I find endearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

His coaches might need to have a word. That could be five fights too many if he's going to fight like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

He's trying really hard to be the next Diego Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Thats just BS, he isn't that entertaining imo. I had him behind on points too.

Ush1 wrote: »
    His coaches might need to have a word. That could be five fights too many if he's going to fight like that.
    I can't find the link now but I remember reading an interview with Rose Namajunas and she said there is no getting it through to him at all. He flat out refuses to use his wrestling in fights, he only uses it in training to help out his teammates. Cormier said it best, when he got rocked he could have shot for a takedown but it never even entered his head. He stayed up and tried to fight. Also before the Johnson fight Justin said "I would rather lose by knockout than win by decision" If you watch any of his WSOF fights they are all the same too just with a lower level of competition.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Thats just BS, he isn't that entertaining imo. I had him behind on points too.
    He was down on the scorecards at the end of the 3rd too. I think his fights are entertaining to a point but it kind of feels like watching a masochist hurting himself after a while. https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/4/15/17240450/pic-dustin-poirier-ahead-two-scorecards-tko-vs-justin-gaethje-ufc-on-fox-29-mma-news
    This isn't related to your post but here is Poirier's leg on Sunday.
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/4/16/17241948/photos-dustin-poiriers-badly-swollen-leg-a-day-after-brawling-with-justin-gaethje-ufc-mma

Justin was definitely down on points. The fight was beginning to go his way though. His tactics seem to be leg kicks and getting his opponents to gas out by punching him in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Gaethje should drop down the ranking in who he fights next after two losses in a row. They probably won't go this low in the rankings for his next opponent but it's a fight that would be full of violence, Joe Duffy. It gives Gaethje some time to recover as Joe is still out injured and Duffy gets another crack at ranked fighter. He probably doesn't deserve a shot against a guy currently ranked this high but meh I want to see the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

For me that fight went like a movie. I was all up for gaethue the underdog to win I presume (I'm a casual sorry) . But after the second eye gouge/strike it was poirier and he came out and did a rocky to show good always wins over evil. Good fight though! P. S just seen it on 3e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

iamtony wrote: »
    For me that fight went like a movie. I was all up for gaethue the underdog to win I presume (I'm a casual sorry) . But after the second eye gouge/strike it was poirier and he came out and did a rocky to show good always wins over evil. Good fight though! P. S just seen it on 3e.

Poirier was the underdog.

Advertisement