Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a workplace 'toxic'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Bullying. A notoriously thorny issue to deal with.

That comes back to poor management and colleagues with no spine or character either.

There’s no way I’d tolerate a colleague being bullied in my presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Crap technology and IT systems. Most office workers spend 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 hours a day in front of their computer, and yet often, the technology provided for them is not fit for purpose.

Lotus Notes was a major factor in leaving jobs for me in the past.

I remember working for a company that got acquired by IBM and having that ****e forced on us. Don't even attempt to run it on Linux, ****ing awful experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Begrudgery and jealousy.

There are certain people who will always moan and snipe about other folks success and career development.

The same people will rarely make any effort or initiative to improve their own lot - and can't stand anybody else who does.

This. See it daily. And the people engaging in it never seem to realise all their problems really route back to themselves and their **** attitude and woeful performance.

It should be acceptable to fire for poor attitude outside of any probation period. Would liven up a few workplaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Reading a lot of these posts makes you wonder if the real issue a lack of honesty and poor communication.

If you ha e issues you should open up about them and your team should help out.

If your manager isn’t happy with something he should have an honest conversation with you and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

pauliebdub wrote:
    I can deal with rudeness but one thing I hated at work was cliquey colleagues who freeze one or two members of the team out of everything. If I sat down beside any of them at lunchtime in the canteen they'd all go quiet. It was very toxic and I wouldn't like to experience it again.

Had this experience before...i do wonder if we were colleagues:D. Hated the job with a passion until i moved groups.
    Very difficult to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

For those of you who have worked in what you would call a 'toxic' workplace, what makes them 'toxic'?

Poor governance.

When the leadership are too focused on strategy and compliance so they ignore the happiness of the workers, the toxic people are allowed take over and it destroys the place.

The governance need to enforce policies for dealing with toxic staff.

I've worked in a place where the MD knew about all the bad behaviour, and was too weak to do anything about it. As a result an entire team quit. The most toxic person in the company then got promoted. A few years later and the company is now dead. It was inevitable - you cannot have a successful company where a culture of lying and cheating is rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Egomaniacs who think they're better and smarter than everyone.

Disregarding genuine concerns and issues, give staff the silent treatment because they've spoke out

Sexism
    No support or backing
    Poor communication
    Lack of organisation skills but expecting everything to be perfect
    Not following your own lead
    All signs of toxic management and workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I worked in a toxic work place, was horrendous at the end

I was employed as a contractor for a large multi national for 11yrs, the first 6/7yrs were amazing, then our client left the company and it slowly began to change, up until that point he had seen us all as his guys and treated us as such, the second he left our company started changing things.

Promoting idiots and yes men, before long other 'idiots' realised if they joined this clique then they could well be promoted to a job that was way above their intelligance.

I knew the job inside out but the contractor management seen me as a threat for some reason (the new client liked me a lot and knew i'd get the work done), i was removed from special project teams, then my contractor manager told me to train others up to join this special project that i had been taken off :pac::pac:

Messed with my roster, a few of us had been on a set roster for a few years, shifts always covered and work always done, new contract manager was promoted and changed it all to a very poor roster leading to a poor home/work ratio

I was on a very old contract and one of the new contract managers hated me purely because i was on a lot more money than him

Hated going into the place in the end but fcuk them if they thought they'd push me out, a new opportunity arose 2 1/2 yrs ago and i applied for the position, got the job and never looked back, better pay/hours and a management structure that are actually supportive and want you to succeed

Advertisement