Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Jaysus lads, time to take down the Paddy Pantsdown posters off the bedroom walls and rejoin reality.

He's a busted flush. He's rapidly headed in one direction and it aint up.

Far from a busted flush. Mans innocent at the end of the day and his career is slowly starting to motor again. He will be in the UK within 2 years.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sightband wrote: »
    I’m no fan of his but just googling bits and pieces show he’s far from a busted flush.

“He is the league’s third highest scorer this season, his 89 points just six behind top scorer Gaetan Germain of Grenoble.”

Is the French league not higher paying than any other so he’s probably on more than he was at Ulster?

Granted, his reputation was left in tatters and there was considerable loss of earnings but he is still ‘in it’ and has a few years left in him. He has a buy out clause in his contract at the end of this season also so an English club will probably make offers with Perpignan performing so badly.
    French league pays very well but I doubt Jackon's current contract is huge.

Another few years he'll be at a top club earning megabucks. He's far too good not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭facehugger99

He could well be playing for an English club next year.

The point is he is still a marketable unit and if he plays well (which is why the English club is interested) then his stock will come back to previous levels.

bagdad-bob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jaysus lads, time to take down the Paddy Pantsdown posters off the bedroom walls and rejoin reality.

You really have it bad, I pointed out the French league is not some second rate league. I’ve said repeatedly here he’s a dick but people like yourself won’t be happy until he’s living under a bridge in a box.
    It’s an obsession because he’s famous there was rarely chat about the other two lads as the social media warriors only cared about the fame.
    If he was Paddy the plasterer you’d not have given two shiny sh1ts about that girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

salmocab wrote: »
    You really have it bad, I pointed out the French league is not some second rate league. I’ve said repeatedly here he’s a dick but people like yourself won’t be happy until he’s living under a bridge in a box.
    It’s an obsession because he’s famous there was rarely chat about the other two lads as the social media warriors only cared about the fame.
    If he was Paddy the plasterer you’d not have given two shiny sh1ts about that girl.

Facehugger is a bit miffed that he got playing rugby again. I wouldn't mind his/her's misery and bitterness about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm taking it you're not a rugby fan? The direction he seems to be heading is to Lyon to replace the French international player Lionel Beauxis.
    They must think he's a busted flush as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm taking it you're not a rugby fan? The direction he seems to be heading is to Lyon to replace the French international player Lionel Beauxis.
    They must think he's a busted flush as well.

On subject of Lyon that was some hammering today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jeffleppard

If you genuinely believe that you have consent then it can’t be rape, and the UK is even more liberal with this than the ROI. Down south it has to be a reasonable belief, in the UK however, you just have to show you believed consent was existent, regardless of how outrageous it may sound.

So yes, if they believed they had consent and could show it at trial then under law it’s not possible that a rape took place.
    Although it appears they didn’t use this defense so it’s kind of a moot point

By the way I’m a lurker in this thread and intentionally haven’t commented or made my opinion public, just felt the need to clear up what appears to be some genuine confusion.

That's completely incorrect, in the UK the belief also has to be reasonable, the accused simply believing it isn't enough if the belief is not considered reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That's completely incorrect, in the UK the belief also has to be reasonable, the accused simply believing it isn't enough if the belief is not considered reasonable

Maybe I used the wrong terminology, the test for the belief being reasonable is subjective in the UK, whereas down south it’s an objective test. I wasn’t trying to say it’s a simple case of saying you thought you had consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

His international rugby career is 'nothing to be proud of'???? :D:D

The bitterness of the judgmental twitter mob knows no bounds. I have been to plenty of corporate events and if Jackson continues to play and retires as per normal, he will have no bother attracting interest. Former rugby players go down well in corporate circles from what i have seen.

But you carry on your personal crusade to clean up the corporate after dinner circuit. Can you do anything about Bertie getting engagements or Blair?

*BTW Listening to the above (even though I would frown on what their careers amounted to) would be no bother to me either.

Twitter mobs? Pretty much everyone I know (male and female) thought the verdict was the right but considered Jackson et al to be cünts. There are plenty of former successful rugby players to choose from for speaking engagements. He’d be well down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

See Diageo are meeting with London Irish this week as signing Jackson does not tie in with their values. This is after another major sponsor pulled the sponsorship last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

anewme wrote: »
    See Diageo are meeting with London Irish this week as signing Jackson does not tie in with their values. This is after another major sponsor pulled the sponsorship last week.

The club would've signed Paddy Jackson knowing there would be some predictable blowback but they've gone through with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The club would've signed Paddy Jackson knowing there would be some predictable blowback but they've gone through with it anyway.

They perhaps may felt the backlash might have calmed down in some way by now.

Does not seem that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

They perhaps may felt the backlash might have calmed down in some way by now.

Does not seem that way.

There will continue to be backlash until the new season is under way in October, I don't expect the sponsers to ever come back, but if the club stand strong and I think they'll be through the worst of it by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm no fan of Jackson and his carry on, but equally I'm not sure what positive "values" Diageo may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Unusual for a sponsor to so publically come out against a player, there must be ructions going on in the background over his signing. Id guess Guinness were against it and said as much in private but London Irish ploughed ahead with the signing anyway. And now Guinness have gone public over the disagreement which could mean the end of their sponsorship of London Irish. It would also make it more difficult for them to attract new blue chip sponsors as a result. Jacksons signing is now causing them a headache they didn't envisage.

There will continue to be backlash until the new season is under way in October, I don't expect the sponsers to ever come back, but if the club stand strong and I think they'll be through the worst of it by the end of the year.

Absolutely.
    Diageo would know well how to choreograph 'concern' here to dampen criticism. They'll issue a statement about 'reassurances' 'values' etc etc and we'll move on.
    Or they will pull the plug for some cheap virtue signalling publicity.

Either way, London Irish would have this all thought through I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm no fan of Jackson and his carry on, but equally I'm not sure what positive "values" Diageo may have.
    They're a huge sponsor who get to choose who they will give money to, that and the bad publicity they perceive here.

Either way, London Irish would have this all thought through I'd imagine.

They might not have thought it through in a comprehensive manner. They might presume diageo wonnt walk away for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Good time to remind ourselves of this tweet from the NWCI / LON:

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/843058871140794369

Augeo wrote: »
    They might not have thought it through in a comprehensive manner. They might presume diageo wonnt walk away for instance.

A lot of money is being spent. When that happens, things are generally thought through.
    It's a good job Diageo's customers have a bit more humanity and forgiveness than them though when they say or do things that cause offence.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/we-regret-if-the-billboard-caused-offence-or-confusion-guinness-to-take-down-six-nations-ad-after-criticism-37776076.html

'Values' me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wonder what Diageo have to say about Sean O'Brien p*ssing over an innocent bystander at a recent event while full of the product they sell. Sean will also be a London Irish player next year.

A lot of money is being spent. When that happens, things are generally thought through.

Sure if things were always thought through with success once lots if money is being spent investing etc wouldn't be what it is 😉

Diageo says "We are meeting the club this week to discuss our serious concerns regarding their decision, which is not consistent with our values"

Serious concerns and his signing not being consistent with their values sounds like the PR language of a break up to me. Cash Converters dropped their sponsorship of London Irish last week after some people started tweeting them complaining about Jackson.

Declan Kidney clearly did not forsee this happening, the water was supposed to be under the bridge. If they lose a blue chip sponsor like Guinness over Paddy Jackson and more sponsors follow then the board will be furious with Kidney for pushing the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mfceiling wrote: »
    I wonder what Diageo have to say about Sean O'Brien p*ssing over an innocent bystander at a recent event while full of the product they sell. Sean will also be a London Irish player next year.
    I think their drink responsibly disclaimer covers that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Muahahaha wrote: »

Serious concerns and his signing not being consistent with their values sounds like the PR language of a break up to me. Cash Converters dropped their sponsorship of London Irish last week after some people started tweeting them complaining about Jackson.

Is this true?

My understanding is that CC has told LI that they wanted out of the sponsorship deal before Jackson was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭bilston

London Irish will surely have gone into this with their eyes open. They are bound to have consulted their sponsors. I find it hard to believe Diageo didn't know Jackson was going to be signed before it happened.

I don't even think the reaction to Jackson's signing has been that bad anyway. If LI stay the course people will have moved on well before Christmas.

bilston wrote: »
    London Irish will surely have gone into this with their eyes open. They are bound to have consulted their sponsors. I find it hard to believe Diageo didn't know Jackson was going to be signed before it happened.

I don't even think the reaction to Jackson's signing has been that bad anyway. If LI stay the course people will have moved on well before Christmas.

PR stunt to show concern and ward off the twitter mob would be my read of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭bilston

PR stunt to show concern and ward off the twitter mob would be my read of it.

Maybe...BUT...very very few people would even had made the connection between Diageo and LI before this news. If Diageo had just kept quiet very few people would have cared. Therefore why bring it up at all?

I don't see people quitting Guinness over Paddy Jackson being in a WhatsApp group where other people sent some very inappropriate messages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement