Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

They admitted to making a mistake. Same as Jackson and Olding did.

If they done or spoke about my sisters the way they did about that girl....its jail they should be in or at a minimum be left in a way that they'll not ever play rugby again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

_blaaz wrote: »
    If they done or spoke about my sisters the way they did about that girl....its jail they should be in or at a minimum be left in a way that they'll not ever play rugby again

Nice. Left in a way that they'll never play rugby again? What exactly do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They admitted to making a mistake. Same as Jackson and Olding did.

Yeah, all mistakes are exactly the same:rolleyes:

*Slow handclap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One thing we know for sure. The rugby players lied in their statements in court. I see nothing wrong with the Guinness advert.

How do we know they lied in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Brands don’t have to play judge and jury on a trial but they do have choice about what faces to associate with their brand. Look how the pathetic insults are slung around this thread.

What brand would want to be associated with those horrible text messages that came out in court and defence strategy, echoed in tone by those supporters of pj on this thread?

Good call by Diageo, the judgment of a multi million euro brand. We can see why by this decision. I have more respect for them. I will start drinking Diageo drinks. To not make this choice would say that the facts that were proven, the behaviour, the language the texts are acceptable.

Bravo Diageo.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Nice. Left in a way that they'll never play rugby again? What exactly do you mean by that?

Make of it what you want mate.....noone should be left carry on the way they did and away with it scot free.

Make of it what you want mate.....noone should be left carry on the way they did and away with it scot free.

They didn't get away " Scot free". Both had their careers destroyed and faced heavy legal fees as well as being vilified by "social media warriors".

Remind me again what was the verdict of the judge and jury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stheno wrote: »
    How do we know they lied in court?

Because if we take each of their statements at face value, the laws of physics would need to be re-written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Do people really think Diageo were ever going to be as reckless with the good name of their brand as Paddy Jackson was with his own good name when he had one. His behaviour led to some very ugly revelations regarding his conduct with and his attitude to his sexual partner and other women and people think Diageo should willingly link themselves to that. As if.

They didn't get away " Scot free". Both had their careers destroyed and faced heavy legal fees as well as being vilified by "social media warriors".

Remind me again what was the verdict of the judge and jury?

Meh...they didnt face sancture for what they owned upto,which was pretty scummy behaviour by any measure

Like i said...if they done it to my sisters id not be as forgiving tbh.....not on social media,so.has no real effect on my thinking

But ya you hide behind british justice system all you want....hope youll be as happy,if was your sisters caught up in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Bad form and call by Ulster and now Diageo. Guys were tried and acquitted. End of. If people want them punished by society, then go change the laws and how the burden of proof is applied. Until then, these men are innocent.

The way in which their trial was used as a showcase and "evidence" paraded about has destroyed their livelihoods for too long. In Ireland they wouldn't have been named and the evidence would not have come out. The northern system is a joke whereby even when found not guilty, you can still be persecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

I've seen your sisters and they'd be lucky to even get noticed by Paddy

whampiri wrote: »
    Bad form and call by Ulster and now Diageo. Guys were tried and acquitted. End of. If people want them punished by society, then go change the laws and how the burden of proof is applied. Until then, these men are innocent.

The way in which their trial was used as a showcase and "evidence" paraded about has destroyed their livelihoods for too long. In Ireland they wouldn't have been named and the evidence would not have come out. The northern system is a joke whereby even when found not guilty, you can still be persecuted.

You are missing the point. It’s not about the verdict. It’s business. They showed their true characters by the information that came out and they are toxic brand wise. Which is good. The facts they admitted to would appal most people, if not you. Why would the brand take that on because you feel sorry for them.

I bet everyone saying that they will stop drinking Diageo drinks on this thread will not stick to that promise either.

Kenny B wrote: »
    I've seen your sisters and they'd be lucky to even get noticed by Paddy
    Ha. Is that the best you have? School yard. Or should I say locker room

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It might be a big faceless corporation but this is the right move by Diageo. Hope London Irish folds. Imagine stooping so low as to sign someone with Jackson’s history.

Jackson derves a chance and maybe he can turn it around. Yes due to his statement and threatening suing actions after the trial he went down in a lot of people's (like mine) estimation he can actually be redeemable.

London Irish have decided to give him a go and I am sure they will have a few eyes on him and could have less changes to **** up then other players before they cut and run

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

One thing we know for sure. The rugby players lied in their statements in court. I see nothing wrong with the Guinness advert.

You don't but many did and Guinness agreed, and apologised.
    No different to what these lads did about their private whatsapp chat.

Meh...they didnt face sancture for what they owned upto,which was pretty scummy behaviour by any measure

Like i said...if they done it to my sisters id not be as forgiving tbh.....not on social media,so.has no real effect on my thinking

But ya you hide behind british justice system all you want....hope youll be as happy,if was your sisters caught up in it

You do know that at their trial, there was a female witness who was not drinking that night who gave evidence to seeing a consensual threesome when she walked in on them. That was the most damning piece of the whole trial.

The girl who was seen with Jackson & Olding on a bed afterwards said rape, they've been punished far too much already,

They slagged off a girl on private whatsapp messages, you're threatening violence on a public forum - You're every bit as bad as you're making them out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Throw your Whatsapp up for public consumption and we see what kind of a saint you really are,

As a wise man once said, 'Let he with out Sin, cop on and make up for lost time',

I can’t speak for anyone else but I would quite happily show the contents of all my WhatsApp threads to anyone here. I find odd the occasional comments on this thread that “most people” or “everyone” has spoken like they did at some stage or other. It’s not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

You don't but many did and Guinness agreed, and apologised.
    No different to what these lads did about their private whatsapp chat.

So it's OK to be in c*nt in private so long as nobody knows

Innocent of rape, yes

Being class A dick heads.... 100% guilty

Gangu wrote: »

I bet everyone saying that they will stop drinking Diageo drinks on this thread will not stick to that promise either.

I will. I enjoy a pint of Guinness but hey ho I'm free to make a choice as well.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/guinness-to-pull-six-nations-ads-over-immigrant-offence-concerns-1.3780342

I'm interested in this as well. What would Diageo have done if the twitter mob had gone into full swing and started shaming them and asking for their drinks to be pulled from bars, music and sports venues.? Diageo apologise and the mob say "no way we don't accept this". Diageo say "but we made a mistake and no offence was meant" but it's too late because the mob have spoken.
    Luckily for them it was only offensive to a few immigrants and sure who cares about them eh?

• Advertisement

I can’t speak for anyone else but I would quite happily show the contents of all my WhatsApp threads to anyone here. I find odd the occasional comments on this thread that “most people” or “everyone” has spoken like they did at some stage or other. It’s not the case.

Are you aged between 18 & 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's an unsavoury character and we got a good insight into him in the trial but it's ott Diageo dropping London Irish over it. I wouldn't even make the connection.
    I can understand it but don't think it's necessary.

So it's OK to be in c*nt in private so long as nobody knows

Innocent of rape, yes

Being class A dick heads.... 100% guilty

Ever been dick yourself or are you squeaky clean and without mistake?

I find odd the occasional comments on this thread that “most people” or “everyone” has spoken like they did at some stage or other. It’s not the case.

And you know this to be factual how?

Ever been dick yourself or are you squeaky clean and without mistake?

Nope.....never to extent they were

Like i said....if was a relative of mine...i wouldnt be a bit pleased they are still out making a living given what theyve owned upto

They slagged off a girl on private whatsapp messages, you're threatening violence on a public forum - You're every bit as bad as you're making them out to be.

Where have i threatened violence??

Girl involved wasnt related to me?

Like i said....if was a relative of mine...i wouldnt be a bit pleased they are still out making a living given what theyve owned upto

If your relative is getting off her head, and going upstairs in the houses of men she doesn't know on her own, then you have bigger fish to fry than seeing to it a couple lads never get the peace to work again tbh blaaz.

I will. I enjoy a pint of Guinness but hey ho I'm free to make a choice as well.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/guinness-to-pull-six-nations-ads-over-immigrant-offence-concerns-1.3780342

I'm interested in this as well. What would Diageo have done if the twitter mob had gone into full swing and started shaming them and asking for their drinks to be pulled from bars, music and sports venues.? Diageo apologise and the mob say "no way we don't accept this". Diageo say "but we made a mistake and no offence was meant" but it's too late because the mob have spoken.
    Luckily for them it was only offensive to a few immigrants and sure who cares about them eh?

Given your defence of these people here perhaps the loss of your custom is a net gain to Diageo, you won’t be seen drinking their brands. These guys’ actions to which they admitted in court and their strategies were indefensible and your self sacrifice is supportive of the scene that they were into. Well done Diageo for disconnecting from it.

I'm interested in this "I wouldn't be a bit pleased they are still out making a living" bit.

Do you want them beaten to a pulp?
    Limbs amputated?
    Homeless on the streets?
    Jailed for life because you didn't believe the jury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a lot of jock resentment going on here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement