Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance bullsiht, where's the incentive to use public transport

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Allinall wrote:
    You can’t prove that you haven’t been driving around some other country incurring millions of Euro third party claims.

Yes you can. Other countries insurance companies can issue IE insurance companies with a proof of clean driving performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

It is common knowledge that NCB disapears after 2 years.

Insurance is a rip off though. I cant see my premiums getting cheaper.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

To go back to the original issue, I came across a message on Facebook recently from Allianz where they were saying that if you have a tax saver travel ticket, to notify them, as it entitles you to a 20% discount on car insurance, but it's not automatic, it has to be specifically applied for. There were some other discounts mentioned, but they are not directly related to the specific issue mentioned earlier.

I'd not have much time for the way insurance companies operate, I've seen too many examples where the price for doing a job through insurance and a price for the same job done privately are very different, and there are some very questionable practices being employed in relation to older vehicles, but unfortunately, joe public can't get access to the underlying information used to make the decisions, so we can't ask the awkward questions that might bring about much needed changes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

It is common knowledge that NCB disapears after 2 years.

Insurance is a rip off though. I cant see my premiums getting cheaper.

100% correct with regards to NCB usually reaching expiry after a 2 year period. I recently raised my own query with Insurance Ireland on NCB topic and I understand that there is apparently one insurance broker: Power Insurance http://www.powerinsurances.ie/ that can also handle insurance after the 2 year period and right up to 36 months. That said, I have no idea how rates are calculated if you fall into the category "After 2 Years but Within 36 months window" although; it may be of help to those who find themselves in this particular situation.

Fortunately, I still find myself within the 2 Years NCB certificate period and once I obtain a replacement car, I will be able to seek various insurance quotes in due course. I found Insurance Ireland very helpful with my query as I wanted to receive independent & impartial advice before approaching insurance brokers & insurance firms. For the record, I am not in any way connected to the above broker firm referenced and I am in no way connected to Insurance Ireland. The website address is listed below for Insurance Ireland should anyone need to contact them for professional advice.

www.insuranceireland.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cordell wrote: »
    ...But claiming that you HAVE to get a discount that it's granted at their discretion, that is not right....

I didn't say you HAVE to get a discount.

I said there should be an assessment of risk, with some consideration of fairness and affordability. Considering its a legal requirement.

The only alternative is Price gouging. If it looks like a duck...

• Advertisement

It is common knowledge that NCB disapears after 2 years. ....

Well that says all you need to know about the industry.

To go back to the original issue, I came across a message on Facebook recently from Allianz where they were saying that if you have a tax saver travel ticket, to notify them, as it entitles you to a 20% discount on car insurance, but it's not automatic, it has to be specifically applied for. ....

I have annual tax saver, I tried that and due the way they calculate the premium this 20% ended up making no difference to my premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

beauf wrote: »
    Well that says all you need to know about the industry.

Come again? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

I didn't say you HAVE to get a discount.
    Not you, the OP said something like that, also suggesting that the government needs to do something about NCB being removed after some period of being non-insured.
    I said there should be an assessment of risk, with some consideration of fairness and affordability. Considering its a legal requirement.
    Agree. But it's not a legal requirement, not really. No one is legally required to drive.
    The only alternative is Price gouging. If it looks like a duck...
    Yes, they did it, and they got fined and slapped on the wrist and they got told off :)

That implies its OK for the Govt to permit the insurance companies control who can drive though controlling the price. The NCB is component of that. That price is not based on risk.

They are still price gouging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement