Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That actually looks like a bit of fun. A super sized made for sci fi Movie.

I would say the key to enjoying it is not to take it too seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IMDB estimates it at a $150 million budget, so yeah; no wonder it's PG.

Looks like this year's GeoStorm really; could be fun in a brainless sort of way but could also just be brainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is this a "Chinese" movie like the awful Matt Damon one?

Massive budget will recoup it in China everyone else thinks it pants?

I will still watch it expecting Statham at some point to punch a shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The OP's synopsis has me sold. Will me making the effort to see this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Still no reviews for this really....I am guessing they are embargoed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gmisk wrote: »

I'm expecting it to be terrible, but ill go see it anyway because shark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

gmisk wrote: »

i don't care ill be going to see it!

Ah me too :)
    Fair play to the lighthouse for showing it as well, they are also showing Deep blue sea, jaws and sharknado in the build up to its release.

Rottentomatoes.....probably about 30/40% max im gonna guess

• Registered Users Posts: 85,389 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »

Looks like this year's GeoStorm really; could be fun in a brainless sort of way but could also just be brainless.

I do not think it will make that back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Jaws' was PG too.

150 mil though :eek: ....smh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm surprised they'd invest that sort of blockbuster money into what's essentially a bid budget b-movie....and I can't see how it would cost that much either? There's been films made with much better/higher costed actors and higher levels of VFX demands for a lot less. I wonder is that even accurate information? Haven't seen any trailers for it (deliberately) so maybe there's tons of elaborate set pieces and lavish production...

That said, will more than likely be seeing that one at the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The reviews are out now. They are mixed which is not surprising. It's either "dumb brainless fun" or "just dumb". Of course there are some movie reviewers out there who would never give a good review to a movie like this even if they liked it :P

I'm surprised they'd invest that sort of blockbuster money into what's essentially a bid budget b-movie....and I can't see how it would cost that much either? There's been films made with much better/higher costed actors and higher levels of VFX demands for a lot less. I wonder is that even accurate information? Haven't seen any trailers for it (deliberately) so maybe there's tons of elaborate set pieces and lavish production...

The trailer is nothing special and to be honest, what I've seen of the CGI, it doesn't look that much more accomplished that a SYFY movie, in as much that it still looks like CGI. I don't get the impression that there are "tons of elaborate set pieces" either.

If I'm really bored, I might pop into the pictures to have a look. More than likely, I'll wait and download it in a few months time, sit back with a couple of beers and a pizza and be thankful I didn't blow money on a full price ticket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Jaws' was PG too.

150 mil though :eek: ....smh.

Ah now, different times and the 'PG' cert was a much different beast than it is now - it famously had a great deal of wriggle room in terms of ... 'mature' themes it could show. Jaws remains a straight up horror movie, raw blood & terror, albeit neutered by the eventual appearance of Bruce :D

I think it was in production for a very long time so that probably added to cost.
    Dont they say a film needs to make 2.5 its cost to break even....cant see it doing that...but I am defo going to go see at the weekend :)

Ah now, different times and the 'PG' cert was a much different beast than it is now - it famously had a great deal of wriggle room in terms of ... 'mature' themes it could show. Jaws remains a straight up horror movie, raw blood & terror, albeit neutered by the eventual appearance of Bruce :D

I think Bruce did his job very well. In fact there's only a couple of scenes where he lets himself down. That big rubber shark still gives me a shock or two, I have to admit.

That being said, it was still a PG film, in an age where a lot of Hollywood cinema was being made for a more mature audience. Sure, it was a "different time", but I'd still love to know how it got that cert. It had absolutely no right being a PG.

In any case, this 'Meg' thing looks more like a comic thing, than something that takes it central thrust seriously, like 'Jaws'.

It's probably an indication of how Speilberg's masterpiece would be made today, if it had never existed in the summer of 1975.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Perhaps the hope to rake it the cash in the Asian market?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it last night in the IMAX......

m7.jpg

Enjoyed it but it could have done with ten minutes or so chopped off. There are parts which give the viewer way too much time to think. Scenes and dialogue clearly only there to set up an OMG! moment and so you end up guessing what's coming, which is a shame as I think if if was edited differently that wouldn't necessarily have been the case and the film would have undoubtedly been all the better for it.

One of the better popcorn films I've seen in recent times and tbf it doesn't try to be anything else. Cheesy nonsense of course but good cheesy nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not getting great reviews, but I'm looking forward to it. Perfect summer fare.

I loved Empires closing line for their review:

Shark. Weak.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I wonder will Fan Bingbing's recent tax scandal affect its performance in China.

RT has it at 50% at the moment, which is not bad for the kind of movie it is. I doubt I'll watch it in theatres though. Statham's a draw for his fight scenes mostly, so this hardly plays to his strengths; I doubt he's going to kick the shark into submission.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Going to the 4DX Screening here in Glasgow after work. First time in the 4D cinema so should be funny. Perfect film for it i'm hoping haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Going to the 4DX Screening here in Glasgow after work. First time in the 4D cinema so should be funny. Perfect film for it i'm hoping haha

My friends went to MI6 in 4DX, they said it was a disaster.. Have fun! :):pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

nix wrote: »
    My friends went to MI6 in 4DX, they said it was a disaster.. Have fun! :):pac:

haha Cheers Nix, a disaster is what im expecting alright :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

For those who have seen it, how close is it to the book? Are we talking adaption or just uses the main characters and premise then does its own thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was very good; this shark makes Jaws look like a goldfish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is there more than one shark in this? The scale looks very different in various scenes from the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good summer movie to take junior to, 4 out of 5 thumbs up. it wont be a classic like Jaws, they seem to go out of their way to make the characters as bland and forgettable as possible. the lead guy was good and the dog, otherwise the shark could have eaten the rest of them anywhere in the movie without ruining it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ipso wrote: »
    Is there more than one shark in this? The scale looks very different in various scenes from the trailer.
    Yep there are two....

Saw this evening it kind of sucked but I had fun at it, the acting is shocking, the characters are paper thin, but at the time it was fun. Clearly aimed at the Asian Market and will need to do well given the whopping budgets. The statham is very stathamy lol.

The shark size, strength etc seemed to vary a lot as well....

Recent shark film wise not a patch on the shallows, but hey different type of film.
    5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Brought the kids and Mrs Sleepy (who are all huge Jaws fans) last night and they all loved it. It's stupid, summer blockbuster, get-out-the-popcorn fare. I generally found myself picking victims I wanted the Megaladon to get
    was really hoping Pippin the dog (nice nod to Jaws btw) and the fat kid with the ice lolly were going to get eaten

• Advertisement

I see the box office is better than expected as well.
    I am shocked the US opening was quite that high.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wbeventfilm2018.htm

Advertisement