Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id required for travel

Options
  • 09-04-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    First off sorry if this is not in the correct forum, I don't use this site very often.

I need some advise if that's possible,
    So my girlfriend and I are supposed to be going on holidays on the 24th of April, We are going to Spain from Dublin, It was supposed to be a surprise for her, but then I found out she doesn't have a passport and she never actually had one, We went to the passport office in Dublin and they said that because it's her first passport it will take at least 20 working days and we would definitely not have it back in time,
    I was talking to a couple of my friends and they said that any sort of laminated Id would work, so that has me wondering would her public services card work as Id to get on a plane over to Spain?

We are flying with Ryanair by the way

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've certainly heard of (and seen) people travelling with ID's other than passport, drivers license and in one case a colleague with a work badge. But they were all between Ireland and UK.

Last time I had problems with passport (puppy chewed it :( ) and was flying with Ryanair I was told they wouldn't accept anything other than a valid passport.

I don't know if they've changed that policy in the meantime, maybe best to just give them a ring and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nope, for spain you need a passport. No way round it.

The UK doesnt require a passport on arrival if youre irish (so same as crosing border at Newry or Newtonbutler) but EVERYWHERE else in the world requires you to have a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You need a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

AlanBriar wrote: »
    We went to the passport office in Dublin and they said that because it's her first passport it will take at least 20 working days and we would definitely not have it back in time,

It used to be the case that if it was an emergency you could write to your local TD and they would get it sorted for you. Not sure if it's still the done thing but it might be worth sending off an email explaining your case.

One thing to be aware of OP, if you don't have a passport but somehow manage to get yourselves on the plane, you'll not be let through the border at the far end in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You'd also need the passport number etc. for the API for travel to Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Additionally all foreigners have to show their passports in Spain at hotels.

From DFA website
    If you are travelling in less than 15 working days, please make an appointment at the Passport Office in Cork or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

tricky D wrote: »
    Additionally all foreigners have to show their passports in Spain at hotels.

Fie

Passport or national id.
    So in case of a hotel very likely public services card would do.

But not for getting to Spain in a first place.

CiniO wrote: »
    Passport or national id.
    So in case of a hotel very likely public services card would do.

But not for getting to Spain in a first place.
    By law Spanish hotels require a passport number and name for foreigner guests and this info is forwarded to the police. Spanish national id is fine for Spanish nationals.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/local-laws-and-customs
    Hotels have a legal duty to register the passport details of tourists on check-in. Wait until the hotel staff have registered your passport details or taken a photocopy of your passport. Don’t leave it in reception to collect later.

Any valid EU national id is fine for police stops, bank transactions etc. PSC is not national id.

Spain has set the bar higher than other EU countries due to the Madrid Bombings in 2004.

By law Spanish hotels require a passport number and name for foreigner guests and this info is forwarded to the police. Spanish national id is fine for Spanish nationals.

Any valid EU national id is fine for police stops, bank transactions etc. PSC is not national id.

Spain has set the bar higher than other EU countries due to the Madrid Bombings in 2004.

Surely hotels must be satisfied with national id instead of passport.
    Hardly any EU citizens travel within EU with a passport (except from Irish and British people where national IDs are not issued)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Have a great time. Bring her something nice home.

Surely hotels must be satisfied with national id instead of passport.
    Hotels have no leeway as it is a legal requirement.

Hotels have no leeway as it is a legal requirement.

I honestly don't believe hotels in Spain wouldn't accept national ID from any EU country.
    By doing so, they couldn't accomodate majority of people travelling from EU, as most of those people travel without passport, and many of then don't even hold a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AlanBriar

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated

Looks like we won't be going to Spain this time, Although I really should have checked if she had a passport, I assumed she did and got a great surprise myself when she said she didn't,

On another note, does anyone know if ryanair would give me a refund on the tickets ?

AlanBriar wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated

Looks like we won't be going to Spain this time, Although I really should have checked if she had a passport, I assumed she did and got a great surprise myself when she said she didn't,

On another note, does anyone know if ryanair would give me a refund on the tickets ?

They won't but you can reclaim the taxes on them.

Anti-Terrorism laws and common sense don't always intersect well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I honestly don't believe hotels in Spain wouldn't accept national ID from any EU country.
    By doing so, they couldn't accomodate majority of people travelling from EU, as most of those people travel without passport, and many of then don't even hold a passport.
    it's on official british government advice site that spain requires a passport number from foreign visitors too:

you may have a problem if you drive over the pyrenees into spain without needing a passport, and shack up unannounced at a hotel looking for accomodation; but it may be the case that on taking bookings, they'll ask for the passport number.

it's on official british government advice site that spain requires a passport number from foreign visitors too:

you may have a problem if you drive over the pyrenees into spain without needing a passport, and shack up unannounced at a hotel looking for accomodation; but it may be the case that on taking bookings, they'll ask for the passport number.

Probably because it's UK official site it mentions passport only as there's no national IDs in Uk.

But surely Spanish hotels must accept national Id from EU countries that issue them.
    As I said most Europeans travel within EU without passport.

Btw you don't need to drive through Pyrenees to get there without a passport. National id is perfectly fine for travelling within eu including Ireland and UK.

Obviously by no means I'm trying to say that Irish public services card is in fact national id as it isn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is one of the parts about schengen i'd wondered about. EU citizens are able to travel freely within the EU without passports. but if challenged, what documentation is sufficient to prove you're an EU citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

You need a passport for Spain and even if just to UK Ryanair company policy requires a passport.

• Advertisement

this is one of the parts about schengen i'd wondered about. EU citizens are able to travel freely within the EU without passports. but if challenged, what documentation is sufficient to prove you're an EU citizen?

It's wrong understanding.
    Schengen zone means there's no permanent border control between member countries. However random checkes still exist.
    This doesn't interfere at all required documents when travelling within EU - those documents are passport or national ID.

So if you're crossing German-French border, very likely there'll be no border control and document checks, but you still must have valid passport or national ID with you.

If you travel from France to Ireland (which is not in Schengen zone) there will be border control/document check, but still same rules apply that you need passport or national ID.

Hack12 wrote: »
    You need a passport for Spain and even if just to UK Ryanair company policy requires a passport.

Passport or EU national ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Ireeland and UK are not part of Shengan so rules apply until on mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

Would you not try get the passport anyway its 15 working days using passport express in the post office. Could then ring up and see if they could fast track it once you get your reference number.

it's 15 days for renewal.
    25 days for first time application.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hack12 wrote:
    Ireeland and UK are not part of Shengan so rules apply until on mainland Europe.

We also don't have a recognised national id.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hack12 wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

@OP

unless you are travelling to the UK you WILL NEED A VALID passport.. eu or no eu
    Hack12 wrote: »
    Ireland and UK are not part of Shengan so rules apply until on mainland Europe.

Dont expect

it to be made in 24hrs.

live and learn

But as part of EU, Ireland must recognise national ID's from other EU countries.

Not that it makes any difference for OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Can I piggy back this thread with a question please?
    What ID would be needed to fly from Dublin to Kerry? If any. For adults and kids.
    Thanks.

Advertisement