Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1970s early synth music appreciation thread

• 09-04-2018 7:41am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a serious bias here towards 1990s and 2000s electronic music, and don’t get me wrong, I love stuff like The Prodigy, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Boards of Canada etc.

But am I the only one who has a real appreciation for the pioneers of early synthesizer music, like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder, Vangelis and others? They paved the way for 80s synth pop and later on, techno. Some of their stuff was amazing for its time.

Here’s a Kraftwerk track from their seminal 1974 album Autobahn. Way way ahead of its time and might amaze some people what was possible with the Moog and ARP synthesizers back in 1974.

Kraftwerk - Kometenmelodie 2 (1974). Released 44 years ago this month.

Feel free to post up your 1970s electronic/synth music here.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great to see this thread develop in a forum that has for far too long ignored the massively important pioneers of early synth music.

Just listen to Donna Summer’s classic I Feel Love, produced by Giorgio Moroder and tell me that this was just mind blowing for 1977. The pioneers of electronic music are very very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

This guy was doing it 10 years before any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

The entire Stuntman album is great; this is my favourite track (esp from about 5:50):

Stab*City wrote: »
    This guy was doing it 10 years before any of them.

Boiler Room 1969! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Class thread. I write a lot of late 70's/early 80's style synth, so this is a nice little vault for finding new/old influences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yeah great thread!

Gangstarr and Futurama influence.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Class thread. I write a lot of late 70's/early 80's style synth, so this is a nice little vault for finding new/old influences.

Have you any links to your stuff?

Doge wrote: »
    Have you any links to your stuff?

I hope it doesn't mess with the thread, but yeah :)

Dystopiate
    Beyond
    As One

Back to the good stuff though, Goblin are always considered prog rock but this is some synth gold.

Even Coldplay couldn't ruin this for me :)

Love the 2nd part of this:

It was actually sampled by Jackpot and turned into a more DJ friendly kind of track:

The soundtrack to the Last Ninja 2 had 2 tracks heavily inspired by them too, this is the more obvious one:

And the less obvious one:

I still Listen to The Last Ninja soundtrack. I think Matt Gray re-recorded loads of his soundtracks for a kickstarter style thing and they did really well.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't mess with the thread, but yeah :)

Dystopiate
    Beyond
    As One

Very nice stuff man! Sounds very polished and layered beautifully.

Nothing wrong with sharing 70s/80s style music in a 70s/80s music thread. ;)

Thanks! I just don't wanna be 'that' guy, haha.

• Advertisement

Kraftwerk - Neon Lights (1978). Bloody amazing for 40 years ago.

T.O.N.T.O.’s Expanding Head Band - Timewhys (1971) They subsequentlybwent on to produce some of Stevie Wonder’s finest material in the 1970s, with heavy use of their synthesizers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Click Switch Doctor Tim Blake, keyboardist formally of GonG and current member of Hawkwind, Crystal Machine and Blake's New Jerusalem should be in your collections too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Blake

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Here you go. Mesmerising, haunting, brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Handy thread, the 70s was a proving ground for where synthesis could go in music, and along with the names mentioned, others such as isao Tomita, Eddie Jobson, Larry Fast, Roger Powell, who were innovators both musically and in terms of technology... Tomita and Fast were not far behind Bob Moog with technology in music, Powell was chief demonstrator for ARP instruments as well as being the keys virtuoso for Utopia, and EJ was the man who in UK pretty much made us all want polyphonic portamento (yamaha cs80, the bane of every keyboard roadie)...
    Tangerine Dream, Triumvirat and the Eloy were showing us that Germany was as healthy in its musical experimentation as the best of England and America...
    And before I clock out... PINK FLOYD - on the run...might just be the best thing a vcs3 ever turned out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Steve Davis DJ set introduced me to this little nugget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Don't forget Brian Eno's involvement with Talking Heads and David Bowie.

Check out Sense of Doubt and the following two tracks after from Bowie's Heroes, class soundscape synth areas. Also check out Eno's collaboration with David Byrne in 1981's My Life in a Bush of Ghosts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Eno's contribution to Roxy Music's first 2 albums was also very innovative and I'm sure would have been quite exciting music at the time (I unfortunately only discovered it relatively recently as it predates me!)

Another gem mentioned by Francois above who was even around before the 70s was Silver Apples, Simeon was the musical genius who experimented with a synthesizer which he largely devised himself and made some very groundbreaking music that probably isn't widely recognized as much as it should be today. Truly pioneering music.

2 giants of the synth world from the very late 70s, Sakamoto and Numan...2 bona fide classics...

• Advertisement

Another 1970s synth classic number - Dream Weaver by Gary Wright (1975)

I was luck enough to see TD in the National Stadium 1980 in the for the Tangram tour classic line up of Froese, Franke and Schmoelling I was 14 and totally blown away by it-
    They had a black see-through curtain which they drew back for the encore and Edgar Froese stepped up and treated us to a 20 minute psyche freak out on the guitar, playing stuff that sounded like their 1st LP Electronic Meditation-epic gig as well, lasted well over 2 hours

Kraftwerk in Cork tonight...

Kraftwerk in Cork tonight...

What a night!

The pulsating bassline in Radioactivity on that sound system was the highlight for me!

After first hearing them 36 years ago, I was too awestruck to judge how good it was...it was more of a religious experience than a concert!

But Radioactivity and The Robots were the standouts.

Vangelis - Heaven and Hell Part 1 (1975). Part of the soundtrack to the superb TV show Cosmos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement