Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

AI Senior Hurling- Joe Mcdonagh Cup 2018

  • 08-04-2018 3:17pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009
    Registered User


    New tournament for the previous Leinster championship qualifying teams.

    1 Antrim
    2 Carlow
    3 Kerry
    4 Laois
    5 Westmeath
    6 Meath

    All play each other with the top 2 playing off in the final with the winner (if Leinster gain automatic promotion to the Liam McCarthy cup for 2019, If Kerry play off vs 5th place Munster team for a place in the 2019 Liam McCarthy Munster championship). 2 finalists also play the 3rd place Munster/Leinster teams in the AI prem round for a place in the AI QFs

    Relagation
    The bottom-placed team in the Joe McDonagh Cup is automatically relegated to the following year's Christy Ring Cup. In order to reduce the number of teams in the Joe McDonagh Cup to five in 2019, the team that finishes second last in the 2018 Joe McDonagh Cup plays off against the 2018 Christy Ring Cup champions. The winner of that game plays in the Joe McDonagh Cup in 2019 and the losing team plays in the Christy Ring Cup.

    Fixtures
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Joe_McDonagh_Cup


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭ purplepanda
    Registered User


    I think Meath are also in the McDonagh Cup?

    I reckon Laois are the favourites, plus Carlow & dark horses Antrim. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭ dr.kenneth noisewater
    Registered User


    why are they looking to reduce it to 5 teams does anyone know? to give teams a rest week?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    This competition is basically there to avoid the inconvenience of the stronger counties playing the weaker counties

    The GAA is all about the 'product' now


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭ arctictree
    Registered User


    Six teams there that could easily beat each other on any given day. Will be a tough competition.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 danganabu


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    This competition is basically there to avoid the inconvenience of the stronger counties playing the weaker counties

    The GAA is all about the 'product' now

    What benefit would it be to these counties to be getting hammered by the top teams?

    Every sport has tiers why should Hurling be any different?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ Hurling Rankings


    This post has been deleted.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    danganabu wrote: »
    What benefit would it be to these counties to be getting hammered by the top teams?

    Every sport has tiers why should Hurling be any different?
    which of these teams has been hammered though

    Westmeath put it up to Tipp last year
    and Galway the previous year

    football has NO TIERS!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 danganabu


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    which of these teams has been hammered though

    Westmeath put it up to Tipp last year
    and Galway the previous year

    football has NO TIERS!

    Ah come on everyone knows that it was a case of Tipp being atrocious more than Westmeath being anywhere near that level, and Galway beat them by 17pts pulling up.

    I really couldnt give a monkeys what football has, and I really hate the idea that hurling should copy what football those, they are two very different set of challenges being faced by each code. It was a misguided belief that hurling had to in some way mirror the super 8 that we have ended up with this abomination of a hurling championship for the next 3 years.

    And while football may not have official tiers we already know that in a competition of over 30 teams there are only 3-4 teams max that can even get to a final nevermind win it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    danganabu wrote: »
    Ah come on everyone knows that it was a case of Tipp being atrocious more than Westmeath being anywhere near that level, and Galway beat them by 17pts pulling up.

    I really couldnt give a monkeys what football has, and I really hate the idea that hurling should copy what football those, they are two very different set of challenges being faced by each code. It was a misguided belief that hurling had to in some way mirror the super 8 that we have ended up with this abomination of a hurling championship for the next 3 years.

    And while football may not have official tiers we already know that in a competition of over 30 teams there are only 3-4 teams max that can even get to a final nevermind win it.

    better to have Westmeath, Carlow, Laois aiming to play in the Leinster championship than this competition imho
    the format used for the last few years was good and gave 3 good games to all the counties involved and a route to play the stronger counties and then qualifier games


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 danganabu


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    better to have Westmeath, Carlow, Laois aiming to play in the Leinster championship than this competition imho
    the format used for the last few years was good and gave 3 good games to all the counties involved and a route to play the stronger counties and then qualifier games

    That route is still there, the top two teams play the 3rd place teams from each province in a preliminary AI QF and the top team plays in next yers Liam McCarthy.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale
    Registered User


    danganabu wrote: »
    What benefit would it be to these counties to be getting hammered by the top teams?

    Every sport has tiers why should Hurling be any different?

    IMO every county should be in two competitions, one where they for the most part play against better counties and can learn something, and a second competition where they play against their peers and have a chance of winning silverware.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38,774 ✭✭✭✭ KevIRL
    Registered User


    Carlow giving laois a right trimming so far today


  • Registered Users Posts: 38,774 ✭✭✭✭ KevIRL
    Registered User


    Westmeath win by two.carlow by 10


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale
    Registered User


    Results:
    Kerry 0-18 Meath by 0-16
    Westmeath 2-19 Antrim 1-20
    Carlow 2-25 Laois 2-15

    London 4-27 Armagh 0-11
    Kildare 4-19 Wicklow 3-18

    Latest score:
    Roscommon 1-17 Mayo 0-8.
    Derry v. Down????


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale
    Registered User


    KevIRL wrote: »
    Carlow giving laois a right trimming so far today

    What on earth has happened to Laois. Is Cheddar's departure part of the explanation?

    Congratulations to Carlow. I think I am right in saying that Carlow's last (and to date only????) championship win over Laois was in 1966,


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭ threeball
    Registered User


    feargale wrote: »
    IMO every county should be in two competitions, one where they for the most part play against better counties and can learn something, and a second competition where they play against their peers and have a chance of winning silverware.

    What like the league and championship we had? Seriously? Hurling is one sport where even the smallest gulf in class or ability is punished severely. Putting a good hurling team against a middling one is the equivalent of the all blacks going up against Spain or Romania in rugby. Pointless guaranteed thrashings.
    Even top tier hurling counties slightly off the pace will get spanked. Galway have handed out two in the space of 7 days. You can't muddle by like a soccer team can holding on for the glorious one nil defeat


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ Hurling Rankings


    This post has been deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭ ebbsy
    Registered User


    threeball wrote: »
    What like the league and championship we had? Seriously? Hurling is one sport where even the smallest gulf in class or ability is punished severely. Putting a good hurling team against a middling one is the equivalent of the all blacks going up against Spain or Romania in rugby. Pointless guaranteed thrashings.
    Even top tier hurling counties slightly off the pace will get spanked. Galway have handed out two in the space of 7 days. You can't muddle by like a soccer team can holding on for the glorious one nil defeat

    +1

    Wicklow put a team in the Walsh cup and got scutched.

    By the way there is no guarantees Offaly will come back up next year either.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Hammer Archer
    ☈


    This post has been deleted.
    Can't see it happening unfortunately. We really seem to have regressed this season.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭ CrabRevolution
    Registered User


    feargale wrote: »
    What on earth has happened to Laois. Is Cheddar's departure part of the explanation?

    Congratulations to Carlow. I think I am right in saying that Carlow's last (and to date only????) championship win over Laois was in 1966,


    2010 Qualifiers Carlow beat Laois by a point I think.



    I remember thinking the GAA must be doing everything in their power to give Carlow a win in their first year back at Liam MacCarthy level, as they were drawn against Laois in Leinster (losing by a few points) before being drawn against Laois again in the qualifiers, followed by playing Antrim.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ conor05
    Registered User


    Laois now have to go to Meath next weekend and win to avoid automatic relegation, Meath just need the win, points difference won’t matter as they’ll go through on head to head.

    I really did not see this coming for Laois, fully expected them to be in the final with Westmeath.

    It’s an awful pity Kerry didn’t hold onto Cuala hurler Darragh o Connell.
    I think he would have made the difference for them getting to the final. Most of Kerry’s team is under 25.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    conor05 wrote: »
    It’s an awful pity Kerry didn’t hold onto Cuala hurler Darragh o Connell.
    I think he would have made the difference for them getting to the final. Most of Kerry’s team is under 25.

    foreign players shouldn't be allowed


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭ dastardly00
    Registered User


    Am I correct in saying that Antrim could yet still either qualify for the final or be in relegation play-off??

    If Antrim beat Kerry, and Westmeath beat Carlow...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Carlow (6 points), and will finish 2nd due to head-to-head result.

    If Antrim lose to Kerry, and Laois beat Meath...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Laois (4 points), and will finish 5th due to head-to-head result.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭ CrabRevolution
    Registered User


    Am I correct in saying that Antrim could yet still either qualify for the final or be in relegation play-off??

    If Antrim beat Kerry, and Westmeath beat Carlow...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Carlow (6 points), and will finish 2nd due to head-to-head result.

    If Antrim lose to Kerry, and Laois beat Meath...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Laois (4 points), and will finish 5th due to head-to-head result.


    Looks that way alright.


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael
    Registered User


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    foreign players shouldn't be allowed

    What the **** are ****eing on about????


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    This post has been deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭ dr.kenneth noisewater
    Registered User


    Patww79 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.


    If Meath win then Laois go down. 2nd bottom team goes into a playoff against Ring winners. There'll only be 5 teams in Joe McDonagh next year


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    This post has been deleted.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    TrueGael wrote: »
    What the **** are ****eing on about????

    Counties playing players from other counties
    Going on at every level
    Masking how poor hurling has become in many counties


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ conor05
    Registered User


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    foreign players shouldn't be allowed

    He was from Kerry.

    Stick to the barstool mate


Advertisement