Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the kids calling it these days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That is the correct way to pronounce Mercedes... just sayin', like.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

You're struggling with it - I hven't a clue what it means!

I've solved that one - I don't twitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

garancafan wrote: »

Until you reach the age when you twitch whether you want to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Until you reach the age when you twitch whether you want to or not.

Would it be correct to say you were/are a twitcher? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Esel wrote:
    That is the correct way to pronounce Mercedes... just sayin', like.

I'm English, and worked in the motor trade for 30 years, and we called them mer-say-diz, as did my mate who was fleet sales manager for Portfield Mercedes on the south coast, I can't say any of the dealers or motor factors over here have used that inflection in my dealings with them... I've only heard it on the radio of late, but if you've heard it before I'll take your word...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

"Bite me" I know it's an americanism and it's supposed to be an insult to the person you say it to. What does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It means 'please go away and stop annoying me, I really don't care about you'.

Or words to that effect.

You will find a more succinct translation here https://www.urbandictionary.com/

Warning, don't look that up if you have a delicate disposition!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

And I thought a twitch was a twit with an itch.

....and *twerking*, which I thought was 'tweeting while you were at work'...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I'm English, and worked in the motor trade for 30 years, and we called them mer-say-diz, as did my mate who was fleet sales manager for Portfield Mercedes on the south coast, I can't say any of the dealers or motor factors over here have used that inflection in my dealings with them... I've only heard it on the radio of late, but if you've heard it before I'll take your word...

in Germany I only head it said as Mer say deez,,

edit here is the official advert

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote:
    in Germany I only head it said as Mer say deez,,

Yep, I can get behind that...and Janice's song is a copper bottomed classic... Thanks for the reminder... (thumbs up emojee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

....and *twerking*, which I thought was 'tweeting while you were at work'...

The first and last time I heard reference to twerking was when I saw Helen Mirren do it either on Youtube or it was mentioned on a TV programme. I thought it was unpleasant to say the least. Others may not agree. Not looking at anyone in particular mind! :rolleyes:

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    The first and last time I heard reference to twerking was when I saw Helen Mirren do it either on Youtube or it was mentioned on a TV programme. I thought it was unpleasant to say the least. Others may not agree. Not looking at anyone in particular mind! :rolleyes:

Utterly tasteless and adolescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I was involved in a conversation where a couple of people referred to things as ‘gas’. At my age, gas is something that produces faintly embarrassing results, but it appears now to be a description of fun and hilarity.
    Just wait until you are older, junior. Then tell me it’s hilarious.

twignme wrote: »
    I was involved in a conversation where a couple of people referred to things as ‘gas’. At my age, gas is something that produces faintly embarrassing results, but it appears now to be a description of fun and hilarity.
    Awww - don't agree. I can recollect in the early sixties,"gas" being used (fairly widely) to as meaning "fun / amusement"; but then, then that would have been in Ireland, not in that definitive source of the (modern) English language - the US of bloody A.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I'm like and she was omg like and then I was like . . .

Awww - don't agree. I can recollect in the early sixties,"gas" being used (fairly widely) to as meaning "fun / amusement"; but then, then that would have been in Ireland, not in that definitive source of the (modern) English language - the US of bloody A.

But back then something was ‘a gas’, not just ‘gas’. The ‘a’ makes a whole world of difference.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Another word that has crept in is 'dropped' for example I heard a music reviewer refer to a band that had just dropped an album ie recorded. I used to drop the odd album myself in the good old days - vinyl smashed in pieces on the floor!

But back then something was ‘a gas’, not just ‘gas’. The ‘a’ makes a whole world of difference.:)

Both "gas" and "a gas" were in use. You made reference only to "gas".

A "scoping" exercise.

No reference is made to the particular technique/instrument that might be involved.

Are we talking about a microscope, ophthalmoscope, periscope or what?

I'm inclined to the view that the most appropriate instrument for the Harvard Business School groupies would be the proctoscope.

• Advertisement

Both "gas" and "a gas" were in use. You made reference only to "gas".

Ah, as the kids would say, my bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

And what if you add an extra banana and orange into the #fruitsalad?

And what if you add an extra banana and orange into the #fruitsalad?

What about a tomato?

What about a tomato?
    I was just thinking of the old adage that knowledge was knowing a tomato is a fruit while wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was just thinking of the old adage that knowledge was knowing a tomato is a fruit while wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I thought Drico invented that. But I'll stand corrected.

Drico, I just realised that might be one. As if I know the lad.

CPTM wrote: »
    I thought Drico invented that. But I'll stand corrected.

Drico, I just realised that might be one. As if I know the lad.

Who, or what, is Drico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Here I must admit to my elder-lemon state. 'Gas' is a word we've used since I was a kiddie in the 50's, so I wouldn't agree that its a new description. Often described someone as 'great gas'! If you've never heard of it before then you must be a child! :D Maybe its a Dublin saying.

Who, or what, is Drico?
    Oh Pierce Big Someday - you need to be educated. Drico is BOD's real name.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Here I must admit to my elder-lemon state. 'Gas' is a word we've used since I was a kiddie in the 50's, so I wouldn't agree that its a new description. Often described someone as 'great gas'! If you've never heard of it before then you must be a child! :D Maybe its a Dublin saying.
    By my recollections it was more rural than Dublin, but perhaps you're a Jackeen ;) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I love this thread because I am klever nd lurnink stuff

Advertisement