Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Post-Primary) Starting Point on Scale

Options
  • 05-04-2018 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi all

this actually isn't for me but for a friend!

Friend is considering doing the PMEPP and has already a MA and a PhD. She was wondering would she be starting on the first point of the scale for a job as a secondary teacher? She has lectured and been working in the public service for the last ten years but wants to work with younger people.

Would her experience and academic quals qualify her to get started on a higher point on the scale?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's hard to know. I met someone recently who worked an office job in the public service and they got the old version of the pension, but had to start on point one of the scale. The Department don't care about qualifications any more so she definitely won't get anything for that. There is a form one can fill out and state their previous experience and if it's deemed relevant enough she might get up a few points.
    My feeling is that she'd be on Point 1 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

dory wrote: »
    It's hard to know. I met someone recently who worked an office job in the public service and they got the old version of the pension, but had to start on point one of the scale. The Department don't care about qualifications any more so she definitely won't get anything for that. There is a form one can fill out and state their previous experience and if it's deemed relevant enough she might get up a few points.
    My feeling is that she'd be on Point 1 though.

That's what I thought but have heard that you can go up in the scales if you have experience teaching/lecturing at third level! Maybe I was wrong and have to break the bad news to her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

never_mind wrote: »
    Hi all

this actually isn't for me but for a friend!

Friend is considering doing the PMEPP and has already a MA and a PhD. She was wondering would she be starting on the first point of the scale for a job as a secondary teacher? She has lectured and been working in the public service for the last ten years but wants to work with younger people.

Would her experience and academic quals qualify her to get started on a higher point on the scale?

Thanks

Depends if her service is recognised, and I'm sure it should be as they are a lecturer in a publicly funded institution.

However, I would ring the Dept of Education to be certain.

They would also be entitled to be placed on the old pay scale if they have worked before 2011. This currently applies to teachers who qualified pre-2011 and worked in the UK for example. Again, I'm not too sure if this applies to lecturing, I would imagine it would however.

The TUI has some info here on both second and third level incremental credit.

Third level incremental:
    https://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/third-level-incremental-credit-.2169.html

Second level incremental credit
    https://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/second-level-incremental-credit-.2100.html

I'd suggest having a browse around the website here. If your friend is already a TUI member, a quick call to them might give a more prompt answer.

I would advise your friend to be careful in terms of the salary publicised and the hours culture related to teaching.

Your friend, depending on their subject, might receive a very limited amount of hours which should not be the case, but sadly is in Ireland today.

Also the PME is extortionate, and needs to be really considered based on qualified teaching subjects and the dark casualisation of the profession.
    The very best of luck and I hope it works out for your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Sir123 wrote: »
    Depends if her service is recognised, and I'm sure it should be as they are a lecturer in a publicly funded institution.

However, I would ring the Dept of Education to be certain.

They would also be entitled to be placed on the old pay scale if they have worked before 2011. This currently applies to teachers who qualified pre-2011 and worked in the UK for example. Again, I'm not too sure if this applies to lecturing, I would imagine it would however.

The TUI has some info here on both second and third level incremental credit.

Third level incremental:
    https://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/third-level-incremental-credit-.2169.html

Second level incremental credit
    https://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/second-level-incremental-credit-.2100.html

I'd suggest having a browse around the website here. If your friend is already a TUI member, a quick call to them might give a more prompt answer.

I would advise your friend to be careful in terms of the salary publicised and the hours culture related to teaching.

Your friend, depending on their subject, might receive a very limited amount of hours which should not be the case, but sadly is in Ireland today.

Also the PME is extortionate, and needs to be really considered based on qualified teaching subjects and the dark casualisation of the profession.
    The very best of luck and I hope it works out for your friend.

She has two core subjects (Irish and English) to degree so hopefully that'll stand to her. I'll pass on this info! Great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

never_mind wrote: »
    She has two core subjects (Irish and English) to degree so hopefully that'll stand to her. I'll pass on this info! Great help.

Well in terms of degree, anyone doing a PME might have Irish and English core subjects... but still start on point 1.

There was a thread on 'reckonable service' previously.. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057826204

I know sometime who moved from an IT to secondary and kept her point on the scale. The union sorted it for her. Once someone has gotten it then another person with similar circumstances must get it. The union have all the knowledge of case histories. If your friend is in a union in 3rd level maybe tell them to inquire first there (TUI). Then try ASTI .
    If she wants to go it alone then there's a form to fill out (see end of thread linked above) .
    I would imagine experience lecturing is worth something!

• Advertisement
Advertisement