Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub related question

Options
  • 03-04-2018 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've to go to a pub tomorrow night. I don't drink and don't spend much time in pubs at all.

Can I buy a glass of sparkling water in a normal irish pub?

If not, what non-alcoholic beverage can I buy?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes you can buy sparkling water or any soft drink eg coke 7up etc. Some pubs also sell coffee.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

You have to bring your own non alcoholic stuff.

Pubs only sell alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I've to go to a pub tomorrow night. I don't drink and don't spend much time in pubs at all.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, of course you can.

You can also buy teas, coffee, all kinds of soft drinks, diluted orange/juice drinks and non-alcoholic beer if you like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Thanks for the help!

Yes. They are extortionate though. There are plenty of other soft options - like coke etc. Also expensive and you get a tiny amount, a can or one of those old style bottles that don’t seem to on sale in shops.

Sometimes there is a fountain, but that’s rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnstoeness

Patww79 wrote: »

Yeah, I'll be in the sticks haha! I don't want to appear as if I'm to cheap to pay for a drink so I'll probably just buy a sparkling water.

Thank you all for your help though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Wednesday night after Easter....no-one will bat an eyelid at you buying a coke/sparklng water/ pint of plain water with a dash of lemon etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes you can buy sparkling water or any soft drink eg coke 7up etc. Some pubs also sell coffee.

Enjoy!

None of them cheap, around €2.50 for a 250ml. Do pubs still do designated driver schemes or insentives, where none alcoholic drinks (coke/7up) are cheaper or free, might be worth looking into OP. Cordials can range from free if you or any of the group are regulars, to a couple of euro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Thanks for the help!

You can buy a glass of water but you'll have to bring your own cylinder of bicarbonate to make it sparkle.

I go to BYOF (Bring your own fizz) parties and we test out each other's fizz on different waters. It's great fun actually. Well, until someone adds a bit of fizz to an already-sparkling water that is. We still miss Simon every day but his end is just the example of how these things can go awry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Yes, you can buy a glass of sparkling water, but be prepared for the bartender to spit in your face- this is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Hammer89 wrote: »
    You can buy a glass of water but you'll have to bring your own cylinder of bicarbonate to make it sparkle.

I go to BYOF (Bring your own fizz) parties and we test out each other's fizz on different waters. It's great fun actually. Well, until someone adds a bit of fizz to an already-sparkling water that is. We still miss Simon every day but his end is just the example of how these things can go awry.

Gas

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnstoeness

Yes, you can buy a glass of sparkling water, but be prepared for the bartender to spit in your face- this is Ireland.

Being an Irishman myself, I'm well aware of the culture. Don't worry I've encountered in before. The good ol' "I'm a recovering alcoholic" lie usually does the trick".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Unless the pub has bars on the window, or is in some well hard estate, I think you can ignore some of the getting laughed/spat at, or risk of getting glassed comments OP.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I suggest Schweppes Ginger Ale if you get tried of sparkling water ... more for sipping than something like Coke.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    None of them cheap, around €2.50 for a 250ml. .

I regarded it as 50c for the drink plus ice, slice of lemon or lime and €2 for the use of the glass and premises for an hour or two.

Looked at that way it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You obviously are not too familiar with Irish pubs.

The main m.o. is to open your throat and gannet down as much dhhrink as possible in the shortest possible time, to keep pace with a barrel chested keg bellied individual who 'necks' pint after pint as if he was pouring it down an open dhrain, aided and abetted by the Publicans who frown on single orders and encourage the round system .

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Erdinger Non-Alcoholic is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Don't bother asking for 7up they'll only have Sprite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't listen to these words of encouragement OP. These people are all obviously hardened drinkers who love nothing more than tricking unsuspecting non-drinkers into ordering non-alcoholic beverages in a bar and then all ganging up on the poor ejit and beating seven bells out of them; with the coup de grace usually being a pint of Guinness forcibly administered that you'll have no choice but to stomach, along with your own teeth as an appetiser.

Be very, very careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My favourite non alcohol drink is a Schwepps Tonic with tons of ice and a slice. Gorgeous and not too sweet.

Patww79 wrote: »

Don't quite know what your point is, poster.

Maybe you could tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Being an Irishman myself, I'm well aware of the culture. Don't worry I've encountered in before. The good ol' "I'm a recovering alcoholic" lie usually does the trick".

They're allegedly making more money off the soft drinks than the alcohol, but yeah - I seriously doubt you'll be the only non-drinker in the bar and you defintiely won't be the first non-drinker they've served that day.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The main m.o. is to open your throat and gannet down as much dhhrink as possible in the shortest possible time, to keep pace with a barrel chested keg bellied individual who 'necks' pint after pint as if he was pouring it down an open dhrain, aided and abetted by the Publicans who frown on single orders and encourage the round system .

Enjoy

There IS an opt-out option, ya know?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

There IS an opt-out option, ya know?

There is P, relax at home with a few cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Enjoy

Love a good night in the pub skulling back the pints like I was dying of the thirst. Afraid to say i’m Some man for talking shïte as well after about 4 or 5 pints. Had a gallon and a half of porter last Sunday night after the Dublin Galway game. Wojus bang off my farts the next morning.

Might tip away at 8 cans of an evening if I wasn’t heading out, but don’t get the same buzz off it at all. Might be cause there’s no women’s arses around to admire as they pass to go into the shïtters.

Love a good night in the pub skulling back the pints like I was dying of the thirst. Afraid to say i’m Some man for talking shïte as well after about 4 or 5 pints. Had a gallon and a half of porter last Sunday night after the Dublin Galway game. Wojus bang off my farts the next morning.

Might tip away at 8 cans of an evening if I wasn’t heading out, but don’t get the same buzz off it at all. Might be cause there’s no women’s arses around to admire as they pass to go into the shïtters.

So do I John, as it turns out.

However I do not like being press ganged into sessions I don't want to get involved in.
    Everything about the Irish attitude is wrong, we need to look towards the Continental attitude, plenty of drink but over time and with food.

Not ganneting down the stuff and pissing like a cart horse for the night.

The sight of a few middle aged bewers with arses like an airport push-back tractor and thighs like mature oaks wouldn't be the clincher for Bren,but have to say with a cargo on board and a bit of 'wood in the nethers' could bring the bulb to one or two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If I was on the dry in a pub it would be tonic water or just sparkling. But that has never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So do I John, as it turns out.

However I do not like being press ganged into sessions I don't want to get involved in.
    Everything about the Irish attitude is wrong, we need to look towards the Continental attitude, plenty of drink but over time and with food.

Not ganneting down the stuff and pissing like a cart horse for the night.

Have to disagree. Love hoovering back the porter like their about to stop selling it. Might have an auld carvery before I start, but don’t want to be sitting around like some Italian mincer sipping wine and picking at olives. Put the arse up on a barstool, order the first pint, and get stuck in to some serious swift drinking. Then into supermacs afterwards for a snack box, before getting a taxi home with some prick of a driver telling you about what’s wrong with the country. Then into bed and see if the missus will let you give her a quick rattle.

A great Irish night out.

• Advertisement

Have to disagree. Love hoovering back the porter like their about to stop selling it. Might have an auld carvery before I start, but don’t want to be sitting around like some Italian mincer sipping wine and picking at olives. Put the arse up on a barstool, order the first pint, and get stuck in to some serious swift drinking. Then into supermacs afterwards for a snack box, before getting a taxi home with some prick of a driver telling you about what’s wrong with the country. Then into bed and see if the missus will let you give her a quick rattle.

A great Irish night out.

You forgot the main event John, piss the bed and have to move to the box room.

Next day the mattress up agin the rad and the waft of stale piss and porther staggering the poor cat.

No John, not for this poster, no quart milk carton under the bed'just in case' no head like a 'stone pot' in the morning, no bang of of ripe kebab from the netty, no lonely set of skids well bronzed abandoned on the landing,and best of all a 'few peaund' still in the wallirt .

Advertisement