Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joshua-Parker HW “unification” fight Sky channel 491.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

pac_man wrote: »
    He can be hurt alright but I'd imagine Fury would be light on his feet and probably nicking rounds rather than going out with the intention to hurt Joshua.I'm making the assumption that Fury will be the same man as 2015 and that's a big if.

Problem with Fury is he would need a few warm up fights and they would have to be against tomato cans to get him back intI it. Not good preperation for AJ.

Another Buster Douglas/ Holyfield perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

...I won 20 euro on the fight by going out for it and not paying for it...

How much did u spend out?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...I won 20 euro on the fight by going out for it and not paying for it...

Pay for sports? Fcuk that!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

For those that paid for the ppv was it worth the money? Was the under card any good? I watched the price and povetkin fight on youtube and that was very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

beya2009 wrote: »
    For those that paid for the ppv was it worth the money? Was the under card any good? I watched the price and povetkin fight on youtube and that was very entertaining.

I had a stream but no, I wouldn't have paid twenty quid for it,

• Advertisement

lol I saw that Tyson Fury was running his mouth again and apparently deleted some IG videos he had put up. Does anyone else think he's talking about AJ too much (almost obsessed) and just feels to me like he trying to steal his fame as ridiculous as that sounds. Has been 3 years since his last fight and I would be shocked if he fights this year and he's made it clear he only wants to fight AJ but surely a tune up fight would be sensible. Also why did he split with Peter Fury? Just seems he really has it all to do for me. Less talk and more training in the gym lol

FTA69 wrote: »
    I had a stream but no, I wouldn't have paid twenty quid for it,

Ok cool as I was tempted to pay for it but glad I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

AJ was just much too big for Parker. And every time Parker tried to chase AJ down or get close, the ref stepped in and said "Ah jaysus here you can't hit the Golden Goose". AJ seemed to have a tactic of just simply grabbing Parker's arms every time he got in close and the ref let it happen.
    Parker is not a great fighter to watch. I think his fight against Hughie Fury was the worst fight I have ever seen. Actually second to Okolie vs Chamberlain. But it was terrible. But to give Parker his dues, he took the fight, as opposed to hanging on to his belt for dear life like others would. He is a tough, brave, fit guy though and has very good defence. And he seems like a really decent guy as well. So good luck to him
    And given the horrible knockouts of David Price and Lucas Browne recently,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kind of puzzled, but not surprised at the amount of people using AJs last night’s performance as a guide to how Fury now has to beat him...

I won’t go into it, but a clue: Parker and his style and size (and his game plan last night) aren’t remotely close to Fury...

And Parker’s chin does seem quite good. Took a few heavy shots and barely flinched..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

AJ may have won the fight, but there is still a bit of a blemish on his professional record, Parker is the first man in 21 professional fights not to be KO'd by him.Still though a win is a win.

How is having a decision on your record a blemish?
    I can't think of any top fighter without a few points victories on their ledger

walshb wrote: »
    Kind of puzzled, but not surprised at the amount of people using AJs last night’s performance as a guide to how Fury now has to beat him...

I won’t go into it, but a clue: Parker and his style and size (and his game plan last night) aren’t remotely close to Fury...

And Parker’s chin does seem quite good. Took a few heavy shots and barely flinched..

True, and Joshua's offensive plan was just to use the jab all the way to the end to keep a potentially stronger finish by Parker at bay.
    And if a knockout came so be it.
    Simple but effective enough for a safe result.

Joshua v Wilder?
    Totally different story.
    I reckon someone is getting knocked out, probably Wilder but there's a chance it could be Joshua.

I don't think there is such a thing as the perfect heavyweight.
    They all have their chinks!

How is having a decision on your record a blemish?
    I can't think of any top fighter without a few pints victories on their ledger

I don’t think the poster meant it as a blemish in a negative sense. More his “perfect” KO run has been blemished.

I don’t think the poster meant it as a blemish in a negative sense. More his “perfect” KO run has been blemished.

Sure but it was always going to end at some stage. Should have already been against Takam.

Sure but it was always going to end at some stage. Should have already been against Takam.

And that is why the Takam fight set Joshua up perfectly for this fight.
    The whole team have built an empire and so far it has been run beautifully.
    The whole world knows his weak spots now so it's a case of results with minimum risk.
    That's what I think anyway.

liam7831 wrote: »
    I hope no one payed for that utter boring drivel

Couldn’t you use that about any match? After the event....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Talking about the ref in this fight is a bit like David haye and his little toe. The red was an inconvenience to Parker but as AJ said he needed to find a way around that. I think Parker by round 11 should have been going for broke and swinging. Either way he will likely get a rematch in the long run. His next opponent will be an interesting choice. Wilder, Povetkin, AJ, Tyson, Whyte are all out and I’d imagine anyone protecting an 0 will turn him down. Would chisora be a possibility?

Please, don’t even mention Chisora’s name as an opponent for anyone....

Povetkin last night kind of impressed me. He is strong, sturdy and comes to fight... he would make for good fights with AJ or Wilder..

His physique, low centre of gravity and durability, as well as his ability to throw clean and crisp heavy shots, would make for tasty fights with AJ or Wilder...

Ok: simple....AJ and Wilder need to fight next

Put Povetkin against Whyte or against Fury on the undercard...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

He’s well down the order yea but Parker is difficult to match now. I want to watch the fight back but price had plenty of success. W big hw who can jab would cause him issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

blade1 wrote: »

I don't think there is such a thing as the perfect heavyweight.
    They all have their chinks!

For another thread

Vitali was about as perfect as it gets

Iron chin, huge man, bruising power

Nightmare for any opponent

Best ever imo

Would beat any of todays heavies if he came out of retirement at nearly 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Talking about the ref in this fight is a bit like David haye and his little toe. The red was an inconvenience to Parker but as AJ said he needed to find a way around that. I think Parker by round 11 should have been going for broke and swinging. Either way he will likely get a rematch in the long run. His next opponent will be an interesting choice. Wilder, Povetkin, AJ, Tyson, Whyte are all out and I’d imagine anyone protecting an 0 will turn him down. Would chisora be a possibility?

Think this is massively underestimating the influence the referee had. Not saying it would have made a big difference but Parker being the smaller man needed to get inside. Every time they got close the ref pulled them apart. It was woeful, particularly as a good few times they weren't even locked up. He was dire and made what was already a ****e fight truly terrible

duffman13 wrote: »
    Think this is massively underestimating the influence the referee had. Not saying it would have made a big difference but Parker being the smaller man needed to get inside. Every time they got close the ref pulled them apart. It was woeful, particularly as a good few times they weren't even locked up. He was dire and made what was already a ****e fight truly terrible

I thought Parker was hurting AJ to the body on the inside/ in the clinches. The ref completely nullified that work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Parker stood off and used his feet last night. Shot his fast jab, dug to the body inside and kept slipping shots with his head movement. That's very similar to how Fury is going to approach a fight with Joshua. Beat him from range.

I even think someone like Usyk would have been watching that and liking what he was seeing.

Parker’s movement at 236 and 6 feet 4 was smooth and fleeting and very effortless...Parker slid around the ring..Fury cannot do that...he’ll be an easier man to target and find.

Fury at 6 feet 9 and close on, if not more than 250 won’t really mirror Parker. I think he would need to..

Fury can move. I get that...

I just think the result last night from Parker and what he did and how he looked being so definitively applied to a completely different man stylistically and physically, not to mention competitively (active vs. inactive) doesn’t add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Parker’s movement at 236 and 6 feet 4 was smooth and fleeting and very effortless...Parker slid around the ring..Fury cannot do that...he’ll be an easier man to target and find.

Fury at 6 feet 9 and close on, if not more than 250 won’t really mirror Parker. I think he would need to..

Fury can move. I get that...

I just think the result last night from Parker and what he did and how he looked being so definitively applied to a completely different man stylistically and physically, not to mention competitively (active vs. inactive) doesn’t add up.

Fury is a very slick mover though. I honestly don't think there's a massive difference between him and Parker when it comes to how fleet of foot they are. Fury has the added ability of being able to switch stances in a second to make Joshua hesitant and keep him off him too.

Parker fought with box and move tactics and had some success last night. Fury will also be using box and move tactics and will have plenty of success. There's definitely a fair comparison there to be made.

I thought Joshua gave a supposed non-puncher a lot of respect last night. Maybe more a case of him being wary of his gas tank and not wanting to use up too much energy or maybe he's protecting a shaky chin, but if he fights that non-committed against Fury he isn't winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I thought Parker was hurting AJ to the body on the inside/ in the clinches. The ref completely nullified that work

The ref stepped in far too often. Even in the later rounds when Joshua's tape needed to be reapplied by the corner the ref was too lenient with them. Joshua was breathing heavy thankful for an extra 15 seconds of a breather and they were applying enough tape to fit on two gloves but the ref never told them to hurry it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's like Fury is the new Andy Reid. The longer its been since his last fight, the better he gets.

That said, it's probably more indicative of the HW division that he's being touted like he is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

ebbsy wrote: »
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Not a chance.

And rhe ref made sure of that as well.

C'ant be killing the golden goose.
    The ref always found a reason to interfere if AJ was in any danger . Way to obvious . I wouldn’t want to have had money on the other fella as its debatable if that was a fair fight .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I must be alone in thinking Aj wasn't in any danger at all on the inside in fact I thought he might do more damage if he was let work in the clinch.

Just because a fighter is smaller doesnt mean they're automatically more proficient on the inside.

Advertisement