Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light easy to manoeuvre lawnmower

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just to make life easy for anyone looking at the above, I cut my back garden which is 60 foot long 30 wide full of grass and my front garden which is 20 X 20 and the the grass verge outside and one battery lasted the whole job and the battery indicator still showed 2 bars our of 3. I seemed to get more cutting time than advertised.

To summarize it's very good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would be very concerned about the new Aldi cordless range. The idea is excellent, one battery for several tools but will Aldi keep this range running in the future ?

I bought the previous Li ion Mower last years & it's excellent but the company that make the batteries have literally disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I suppose the question is whether these are generic type batteries with the same fitting as (at least one other) manufacturers.

Its not that the inside of different batteries are vastly different, its just that different ranges and manufacturers deliberately make it impossible to fit other batteries into their charger, just to force you to buy other tools from their range. Like the old mobile phone chargers - deliberate annoyance built-in.

I can confirm these batteries are not interchangeable with DeWalt batteries despite looking similar.

This range is only starting. If you Google ferrex tools a few hits down you will see the patent list and it's huge, it looks like they will have everything compatible over the next few years. I think they will be doing this stuff for a long time.

P.s the mower is great. Not as light as my previous Lidl(corded) one. But that was a 60 quid job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

Discodog wrote: »
    I would be very concerned about the new Aldi cordless range. The idea is excellent, one battery for several tools but will Aldi keep this range running in the future ?

I bought the previous Li ion Mower last years & it's excellent but the company that make the batteries have literally disappeared.

Yes, you can get a replacement battery for 70 GBP for the Gardenline mower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Anyone buy the latest Ferrex cordless lawnmower in Aldi? Impossible to get the 40v battery but I got one anyway and plugged it into the charger today, within minutes there was a loud bang and the lights weren't lighting anymore. Plugged it out and nasty smell from charger, something went wrong in there!

I'll have to return it obviously but if the battery bit is shagged too then the whole mower has to back as there isn't a 40v battery for them to be got for love or money in the country! Shame cos I really wanted that mower :(

phormium wrote: »
    Anyone buy the latest Ferrex cordless lawnmower in Aldi? Impossible to get the 40v battery but I got one anyway and plugged it into the charger today, within minutes there was a loud bang and the lights weren't lighting anymore. Plugged it out and nasty smell from charger, something went wrong in there!

I'll have to return it obviously but if the battery bit is shagged too then the whole mower has to back as there isn't a 40v battery for them to be got for love or money in the country! Shame cos I really wanted that mower :(

Yes, they badly screwed up by having too many 18V batteries but not enough 36V dual voltage batteries. They should have had the ratio the other way round. Poor decision-making.

There were a whole load of lawn-mowers left over in the local shop, chiefly because there were no 36V batteries left.

I'd say the polarity was wired incorrectly on the charger and it blew due to the dead short. The battery should be okay with a bit of luck. Generally it's the chargers that the damage is restricted to, but it can damage the BMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there a danger of electric shock from those faulty chargers?

fryup wrote: »
    is there a danger of electric shock from those faulty chargers?

Once it's unplugged it should be fine then bring it back.

phormium wrote: »

Shane this happened to you. I've used the mower every week and it's great. The grass has never looked better.
    I use the batteries in all the tools almost daily and no issues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Just go corded,
    There's lots of good ones out there and even the cheap ones are basically fine.

Battery ones?
    The bosch ones look good and you should be able to get their batteries into the future - very expensive though.
    Makita do a cordless one but it doesn't look that great but uses their standard batteries (looks like it's farmed out rather than made by makita). Quality looks similar to what I've seen from lidl/aldi, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm using battery mowers 25 yrs or so, originally a Flymo which was like a fisher price toy but did a great job, lasted about 15 yrs with one battery change in that time. Recent one is a Bosch, bought for half price in B&Q sale and still flying. Was buying the Aldi one for my daughter, managed to order a battery in UK from Aldi and delivered to family coming home shortly :)

Can't beat a battery one for a small lawn, no cords, no petrol, no servicing, no messing, great job!

Looks like Aldi are selling the chargers and the same batteries again this Sunday. They look identical to the batteries and chargers sold with the lawnmower earlier this year.

Joseph SEE wrote: »
    Looks like Aldi are selling the chargers and the same batteries again this Sunday. They look identical to the batteries and chargers sold with the lawnmower earlier this year.

Yes that's them alright and a few body only tools I've been waiting for since the first batch dropped. Didn't notice any 40v batteries when I looked a week ago but hopefully that's changed.

Advertisement