Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R.A.G.E. Fade st

• 30-03-2018 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Will be in Dublin tomorrow & was thinking of dropping into these guys for some retro goodness. Has anyone used them. Are they decent?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They have an amazing range of titles and don't feel guilty about charging for it.
    Just go in not expecting anything for nothing and you'll bag yourself a classic or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They have an amazing range of titles and don't feel guilty about charging for it.
    Just go in not expecting anything for nothing and you'll bag yourself a classic or two.

Cheers I’m just getting back into retro gaming. I’m hoping they’ll be able to advise on connecting a Megadrive to a flatscreen. Can it be done via scart? Or the aerial connection on the back?

Is there anywhere you would advise that is decently priced for Megadrive games?

Thank You!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie, and set a budget for yourself.
    Also, get an idea of say ten games you'd like to own.
    They don't have to be rare, just games that you want to play.
    Decide if you have to have boxes and manuals or if just the cart will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know I'm late but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I'm a very happy customer of The Rage, I've been going there on and off in the last year, frequently in the last two months.

I got a Dreamcast there 4 years ago. They priced it at the lower end of the scale compared to what was selling on eBay. Last year I got a Mega Drive. Since then I've picked up many games between the Rage and eBay. I find the Rage's prices to be fair. If the game is expensive it's usually because it's increasing in value but of course you can always shop elsewhere :)

eBay is a gamble, 75% of what's on there is Buy It Now and overpriced. There's a lot of fake bidding where low feedback users are bidding 2, 4, 5 quid on games that obviously aren't cheap just to get the bids up and they're also bidding extortionate prices. I lost a copy of THPS2 on Dreamcast that went for about €45, not worth it. Probably the seller's mate. I also got stung on a copy of Marvel Vs Capcom, another listing ended 1 hour after the one I got for €10 less.

I've gotten a few good deals on eBay but a lot of it is down to luck/timing, I've lost just as many games to stupidly high bids. At the same time a lot of sellers have €10+ shipping so I can't bid as high as people from the UK. On the console side of things, shipping one back to the UK/Europe is extremely expensive. When my Mega Drive wasn't working properly I just brought it into them for a swap. I've also gotten some free games/accessories from the Rage.

I think in the grand scheme of things I probably get more for my money in The Rage and I do enjoy the novelty of being able to browse in store and see some cool stuff like the Famicom or boxed Virtual Boy. The only downside is sometimes their stock is a little lacking and although they do get more frequently enough some of it has been sitting there for a while.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I know I'm late but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I'm a very happy customer of The Rage, I've been going there on and off in the last year, frequently in the last two months.

I got a Dreamcast there 4 years ago. They priced it at the lower end of the scale compared to what was selling on eBay. Last year I got a Mega Drive. Since then I've picked up many games between the Rage and eBay. I find the Rage's prices to be fair. If the game is expensive it's usually because it's increasing in value but of course you can always shop elsewhere :)

eBay is a gamble, 75% of what's on there is Buy It Now and overpriced. There's a lot of fake bidding where low feedback users are bidding 2, 4, 5 quid on games that obviously aren't cheap just to get the bids up and they're also bidding extortionate prices. I lost a copy of THPS2 on Dreamcast that went for about €45, not worth it. Probably the seller's mate. I also got stung on a copy of Marvel Vs Capcom, another listing ended 1 hour after the one I got for €10 less.

I've gotten a few good deals on eBay but a lot of it is down to luck/timing, I've lost just as many games to stupidly high bids. At the same time a lot of sellers have €10+ shipping so I can't bid as high as people from the UK. On the console side of things, shipping one back to the UK/Europe is extremely expensive. When my Mega Drive wasn't working properly I just brought it into them for a swap. I've also gotten some free games/accessories from the Rage.

I think in the grand scheme of things I probably get more for my money in The Rage and I do enjoy the novelty of being able to browse in store and see some cool stuff like the Famicom or boxed Virtual Boy. The only downside is sometimes their stock is a little lacking and although they do get more frequently enough some of it has been sitting there for a while.

Agree with you Daveydave eBay is ok except for postage with makes it dearer than The Rage on some titles-I found them good to deal with but are a bit on the expensive side. As the guys said above adverts can be decent as you can collect directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Did you get a Hugz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For those saying about expensive postage from the UK, you really need to start using Parcel Motel. It's especially great for bringing down the price on consoles.

I'm a forever ebay man myself, been buying games and consoles through it for 15 years from all over the world. I think I've bought a sum total of two games in The Rage since it opened.

sugarman wrote: »
    This.

Most UK sellers offer free shipping or £1-2 postage on individual games and with parcel motel or parcel wizard youre only adding an extra €3.95 to the sale. Works out even better for bundles, which I usually try to buy in if I can.

RAGE can be fine for more common games if youre just looking to pick up one or two titles. For example my one and only purchase was a copy of Sega Rally for the Saturn, only a fiver which was only a quid over what it going on eBay but ultimately saved me 3quid due to what id have had to pay for parcel motel.

But more sought after games or even rare games go for a solid 30% mark up if not more, same with their consoles and accessories.

Some people prefer going in and having a natter with the lads and just the convenience of purchasing from a bricks and mortar store which is fine... but Im a big fan of ebay and getting the best deals I can. Its more convenient to me with how seldom I get into the city cent re and you wont get better buyer protection and customer service if anything ever goes wrong.

In other words, each to their own!

Wow. I feel like an idiot. Why didn't I think to use a parcel service? Of the last 10 games I bought on eBay only 3 are cheaper shipped to Ireland, by about 50 cent or less. The other 7 games would have been €25 cheaper to ship via AddressPal!

I thought to myself "Ah sure €1-2 per game isn't a big deal if I have to go all the way down to the local Parcel Motel" then I realised I can use AddressPal and pick it up at the local post office around the corner and I would have saved an average of €3.40 per game.

Of course I have most of what I want now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Inviere

Don't forget Parcel Wizard (DPD Service) who'll deliver it to your home, you can nominate a local collection agent in your area, or you can collect from the nearest depot. I find it the best of the parcel forwarding companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah but if its delivered to your home then the wife will find out about it !!

Parcel motel for all the discreet retro purchases :)

Was passing Cex at the weekend in Navan, have a lovely tobacco finished SNES (PAL) going for 140 if anyone is interested ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Inviere

God forbid eh? :D

Parcel motel for all the discreet retro purchases :)

Was passing Cex at the weekend in Navan, have a lovely tobacco finished SNES (PAL) going for 140 if anyone is interested ;)

Good idea although my wife is into her retro gaming although not as much as me. CEX Drogheda has one of those also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Parcel Wizard will deliver wherever you want them to, I get mine delivered to my work.

I use Parcel Motel and have had only one ropey incident, aside from that it's been fine, I collect my illicit purchases on the way to work and sneak them into the house... mwa ha ha ha!

Don't know how I managed to get the PSX into the house without being shot...

Have to make sure the next Mrs Ciderman is a retro games player....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

+1

DPD lads around here are sound and dependable. Highly recommend them or Parcel Motel over AddressPal, plenty of stuff goes missing with them and a lot of delays and messing about at times according to threads on here.

Yeah. I've only used AddressPal 3 times and two of those times was a complete nightmare. They also don't respond to emails or answer the phone. I'd almost go as far to say that the service is a scam.

I mostly use Parcel Motel as DPD don't have any pick up points near by. Unfortunately my local Parcel Motel has been subject to anti social behavior so they don't deliver to it outside of office hours which means it can take a week or more for a parcel to turn up. Of course they never informed me of that, but since moving my pick up location to another one further down the road the service has been fine again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I must say a fan of the RAGE and adverts for picking up stuff.
    Im a person that enjoys going in having a browse and saying wow I forgot about that!
    They are a little more expensive as they are a shop so to be expected.

But its a must pop in when I'm in Dublin which is rare.
    Make a point of parking in the car park across the road to annoy herself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

+1

DPD lads around here are sound and dependable.

Not to mention that Parcel Motel want you to top up a minimum amount each time, that doesn't add up to more than 2 deliveries with an amount left over, forcing you to top up again for subsequent deliveries. They may have changed that recently, I'm not sure as I haven't used PM since DPD introduced their service because of that. With DPD PW, you can pay the amount for a single delivery and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Relikk wrote: »
    Not to mention that Parcel Motel want you to top up a minimum amount each time, that doesn't add up to more than 2 deliveries with an amount left over, forcing you to top up again for subsequent deliveries. They may have changed that recently, I'm not sure as I haven't used PM since DPD introduced their service because of that. With DPD PW, you can pay the amount for a single delivery and that's it.

If you register you debit/credit card with them then you are only charged per delivery. No topping up necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

I saw someone on Twitter saying earlier that they had a card registered, but they were still being asked to top up the €10+. Probably just a technical glitch. It's good that they have that, though. I'd still prefer to use DPD as I find the home delivery much more convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

DPD/Parcel Wizard all the way. Recently the delivery guy went out of his way to find me in the new house. He parked the van on the road and hiked up a bit to make sure that's where the house is! With the pmotel guys you're lucky if they genuinely make an attempt at home delivery.
    Plus, Parcel Wizard is cheaper for home delivery and they have a decent app for realtime tracking.

• Advertisement

Maybe O1s1n could use them as a safer moving service.
    Post his stuff from one location to another, save him dropping it down an lift shaft or bouncing it down a step!

I wouldn't recommend buying anything from CeX unless you're there looking at the condition of the physical product. Take it from the person who worked at the returns office. The state of some of the stuff customers sent back was absolutely appalling. Discs scratched worse than you've ever seen, heavily damaged consoles etc.

Better off spending money in the Rage (SNES is cheaper from a quick glance) or eBay/Adverts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My experience leads me to believe that CeX price their retro gear (the few shops that stock them in ROI) by doping up some manatees with e-numbers and taking their first suggestions as the asking amount.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    My experience leads me to believe that CeX price their retro gear (the few shops that stock them in ROI) by doping up some manatees with e-numbers and taking their first suggestions as the asking amount.

From what I remember the pricing team just check Amazon or eBay.
    Tell me about it! Have a search for some of the old threads on here including my own. Nightmare is too kind a word! I'll never buy anything off them again without seeing it first hand, and even then id be wary if it was hardware.

Have had several wrong items sent to me, missing items, games scratched beyond belief chasing them up for absolutely months on end. I had to resort to threatening legal action in a formal letter and suddenly it was sorted.

Its not just games/consoles they dont do any checks on, have had friends and family buy phones that were dodgy, camera lenses that had faulty motors and lens rot, faulty pc components (HDDs, RAM, Graphics cards).. the list is endless. They just accept anything and everything.

So whenever I have a game scratched beyond belief (But still working), missing manuals or covers... I simply trade them in there since they cant be bothered.

Yeah if they can't get discs right you can only imagine the fun I had with the likes of PS3s coming back not unlinked from PSN accounts, iPhones coming back locked to Apple ID with no way of removing them and of course the stores aren't equipped to test CPUs, GPUs, camera lenses etc. Hard drives are only tested with the quick scan on HDTune which is proven to not show any bad sectors. The list goes on.

If there was a way to sell a faulty SNES or N64 they'll find it. Probably don't have the tools or knowledge to check for fake carts either.

From what I remember the pricing team just check Amazon or eBay.

Yeah if they can't get discs right you can only imagine the fun I had with the likes of PS3s coming back not unlinked from PSN accounts, iPhones coming back locked to Apple ID with no way of removing them and of course the stores aren't equipped to test CPUs, GPUs, camera lenses etc. Hard drives are only tested with the quick scan on HDTune which is proven to not show any bad sectors. The list goes on.

If there was a way to sell a faulty SNES or N64 they'll find it. Probably don't have the tools or knowledge to check for fake carts either.

Cheers for this. Was tempted to buy a SNES but I’ll avoid now

Antibac wrote: »
    Cheers for this. Was tempted to buy a SNES but I’ll avoid now

This guy has a PAL one for €38. Just needs a UK plug? Few members here have got stuff from him.

This guy has a PAL one for €38. Just needs a UK plug? Few members here have got stuff from him.

Cheers. Doesn’t seem to ship to Ire/NI when try to add to cart

Cheers. Doesn’t seem to ship to Ire/NI when try to add to cart

Where are you based? He's in Ashtown in Dublin. Could contact him to arrange posting it out? Here's the link to his Adverts post.

Where are you based? He's in Ashtown in Dublin. Could contact him to arrange posting it out? Here's the link to his Adverts post.

I’ll contact him through Adverts Thank You. His website seems a bit of a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I’ll contact him through Adverts Thank You. His website seems a bit of a mess

The website has actually closed down and he's currently just liquidating stock from his place in Ashtown.

He still has most of it there, if you don't mind meeting him at his place there are some real bargains there, it would be a shame to miss out tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Super old thread. Even though I sell on adverts I used to buy all my games and consoles from rage, even if they can palm you off with crap console wise whe. You’re in a good mood.

I stopped when they randomly blocked me on Facebook and then told me I must have blocked them. Ironically though I only found out when I went to message them to see if they had a machine in stock I wanted. I found adverts again, and had lots of sales on it since.

I would recommend them if you don’t mind the mark up on items as it is still nice to view and touch when you buy.

Advertisement