Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I drove through castleknock toll by mistake

Options
  • 29-03-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hi,

2 weeks after passing my test I bought a car out in Palmerstown. I was going back to get my car serviced, took a wrong exit and ended up going through Castleknock m50 barrier free toll. As an 'N' driver, I had never been around these parts so was completely unaware of this toll. Now I have to pay almost €46 each way because I didn't pay it. I never got a letter about it or anything. The way I found out was from a different incident at the Kildare toll. I got the fares mixed up and was 10 cent short each way.

Is there any leniency for new drivers? I had passed my test only two weeks before the incident at Casteknock toll.

Also, I was never notified in the first place. The penalty would have gone up to €100 each way without even knowing! Why didn't they let me know!

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As a N driver you should have learnt to be aware of your sorroundings. There’s big signs telling you to pay the toll.

Is the car registered to you at your current address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there any leniency for new drivers? I had passed my test only two weeks before the incident at Casteknock toll.

Also, I was never notified in the first place. The penalty would have gone up to €100 each way without even knowing! Why didn't they let me know!

Thanks!

No. There isn't and yes you were. The giant signs all along that road that say pay the toll, toll road, pay by 8pm the next day etc. Them giant purple signs are pretty hard to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You must have seen the big signs, no?

Ring them and they’ll probably knock off some of the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You went through the M50 toll without seeing any of the giant signs telling you about the toll and how to pay it?

I thought you had to get your eyes checked as part of the license application?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ring them up.

They tend to be understanding if you are genuine.

Explain never received letter and honestly forgot all about paying.

They tend to waive 1st timers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Flatwhite

Not very observant are you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

6 replies. 5 repeats of telling the OP to be more observant, 3 actually trying to help. Nice.

OP - first time I forgot to pay my m50 toll they waived the penalty when i called them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you can't see the big signs maybe the optician f'cked up before you got your L's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ring them up, explain what happened and sign up for an account, (tag or video) and they'll most likely waive the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

lg6v8rogqlfab4rbged6gnkkugetguw

That’s just one of the signs you missed.

Call them to pay and hope they give you something off the extra fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Ring them, make sure to inform them you just bought the car and tell them you are ready to sign up for free video account when asked.

You should be fine, especially when new transfer of ownership is mentioned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

First of all as an N driver, this was my first time out this direction. Whilst I was learning as an L I wasn't allowed on the motorway. I was genuinely nervous because I didn't know the roads and it was my second time on the motorway. Especially after missing the turn to get to Palmerstown, I didn't want to end up on the m50!

People who are saying "DID YOU NOT SEE THE SIGNS?". I was concentrating on my lanes whilst my girlfriend kept an eye on the phone with google maps directing us. She doesn't drive so she definitely had no idea about the toll. I do recall seeing m50 toll sign, but thought it was a pre warning for an upcoming toll. I was keeping an eye on my road position / lane so that I wouldn't miss my exit. If I started to read all the signs I would have missed my exit.

Also, did none of you hear the fact that I only passed my test TWO weeks before this. And had only owned the car for SIX DAYS. I have clear evidence of all of this.

6 replies. 5 repeats of telling the OP to be more observant, 2 actually trying to help. Nice.

OP - first time I forgot to pay my m50 toll they waived the penalty when i called them.

I didn't realise there was a mammy clause in the t&cs for boards that we have to baby everyone. Common sense says ring them and say you forgot and see what you can get off.

Creating a thread about how one just passed the driving test then was completely oblivious to the massive toll road signage on the busiest stretch of road in the country rightly deserves to called out for being unobservant.

6 replies. 5 repeats of telling the OP to be more observant, 3 actually trying to help. Nice.

I have reported majority of those ***...s.
    Reati wrote: »
    I didn't realise there was a mammy clause in the t&cs for boards that we have to baby everyone. Common sense says ring them and say you forgot and see what you can get off.

Creating a thread about how one just passed the driving test then was completely oblivious to the massive toll road signage on the busiest stretch of road in the country rightly deserves to called out for being unobservant.

I just wanted an opinion and I got some helpful info.

ted1 wrote: »
    As a N driver you should have learnt to be aware of your sorroundings. There’s big signs telling you to pay the toll.

Is the car registered to you at your current address?

Yes it is. They should have let me know about the incident straight away. God knows how much the fine would have went up to if I didn't end up earning myself a different fine which actually included a letter!

I have reported majority of those ***...s.

I just wanted an opinion and I got some helpful info.

You reported posts for telling you to pay more attention on the busiest road network in the country? Grown up.

You got opinions but you don't like most of them. It's a running theme on boards the people come on, ask a question and don't like the answers and start referring to posters with insults like ***...s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,837 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes it is. They should have let me know about the incident straight away. God knows how much the fine would have went up to if I didn't end up earning myself a different fine which actually included a letter!

You shouldn't be in the roads pal,. There is no way someone should be out there if they can't navigate the signage it contains important information including hazards. Yet you were concentrating on just your lanes....

Maybe they could have erected a fifty foot purple sign outside your house to let you know

You reported posts for telling you to pay more attention on the busiest road network in the country? Grown up.

You got opinions but you don't like most of them. It's a running theme on boards the people come on, ask a question and don't like the answers and start referring to posters with insults like ***...s.

But people completely ignored the fact that I had never been on these roads before, the fact that I was a new driver and had the car just 6 days.

Stating the obvious like "open your eyes" just sounds like my Mom. I didn't come on here to get a Mom response. I was looking for somebody who can relate as a new driver on motorways.

Also as an L driver I wasn't allowed on Motorways, so its all new to me. During the heat of the moment, I was keeping an eye on my lanes and concentrating at switching lanes, and listening to google maps directions.

RayCun wrote: »
    Maybe they could have erected a fifty foot purple sign outside your house to let you know

Or sent a simple letter to my house saying, "you drove through Castleknock toll twice within 10 minutes and you should pay your toll".

I was completely unaware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

First of all as an N driver, this was my first time out this direction. Whilst I was learning as an L I wasn't allowed on the motorway. I was genuinely nervous because I didn't know the roads and it was my second time on the motorway. Especially after missing the turn to get to Palmerstown, I didn't want to end up on the m50!

People who are saying "DID YOU NOT SEE THE SIGNS?". I was concentrating on my lanes whilst my girlfriend kept an eye on the phone with google maps directing us. She doesn't drive so she definitely had no idea about the toll. I do recall seeing m50 toll sign, but thought it was a pre warning for an upcoming toll. I was keeping an eye on my road position / lane so that I wouldn't miss my exit. If I started to read all the signs I would have missed my exit.

Also, did none of you hear the fact that I only passed my test TWO weeks before this. And had only owned the car for SIX DAYS. I have clear evidence of all of this.

If you can't read a motorway sign when driving you need to reconsider your driving. The signs are designed to be read at 130km/h, the speed limit on proper motorways, so at 100km/h there is no issues with reading them. The overhead gantries also provide information on the road and traffic conditions so you should be looking at them.

If you're girl friend was looking at Google maps
    why would you miss your exit? And more importantly it'll reroute you so in Ireland missing a junction isn't a major issue.

Now I have to pay almost €46 each way because I didn't pay it. I never got a letter about it or anything. The way I found out was from a different incident at the Kildare toll.
    !

Just on not being told. There are signs for the toll before you take the exit onto the m50. If I recall correctly it’s also painted on the ground. There are big signs on the lead up to the bridge. There are also signs that are as big as trucks on the gantry and the signs after the toll to tell you to pay by 8pm the following day. It can not be claimed that they don’t notify motorists.

But people completely ignored the fact that I had never been on these roads before, the fact that I was a new driver and had the car just 6 days.

Honesty I'm not sure why in your head you think this justifies anything. I've drove all over the world and had never been on those roads before yet I never got toll fines or tickets. Those were all rentals so in most cases I only had the car a few hours.

As a safe and competent driver you should be able to drive any road and be aware of the signage and surroundings. Rhetoricial question but Do you only drive on the roads you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If you can't read road signage due to the need to "concentrate on your lanes" then you shouldn't really be allowed on the roads. Some of those signs might actually have some pretty important stuff on them!

Just on not being told. There are signs for the toll before you take the exit onto the m50. If I recall correctly it’s also painted on the ground. There are big signs on the lead up to the bridge. There are also signs that are as big as trucks on the gantry and the signs after the toll to tell you to pay by 8pm the following day. It can not be claimed that they don’t notify motorists.

And they didn't notify me of my fine because? There's no reason they shouldn't have sent me a letter saying I owe them €46. It goes up to €103 each way in two weeks. Still I wouldn't have known. No letter. No call. Nothing.

Get someone to give you a lift through the toll, from two junctions before to two junctions after, and count how many signs there are telling you of an approaching toll, the toll as you go through it, and how to pay the charge you just incurred by going through a toll, and then you will realise why you are being met with so little sympathy.

And they didn't notify me of my fine because? There's no reason they shouldn't have sent me a letter saying I owe them €46. It goes up to €103 each way in two weeks. Still I wouldn't have known. No letter. No call. Nothing.

They are not your mammy. They have no obligation to notify you. The giant signs notified you of the toll. You forgot(actually you claim not to have known). Not their problem.

Seriously. You need some self responsibility. You drove the road twice and missed every single sign. Probably at least 20 signs in total.

They are not your mammy. They have no obligation to notify you. The giant signs notified you of the toll. You forgot. Not their problem.

So am I the first person in the whole wide world to have made this mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BaRcOe wrote:

There is a way around this fee.

First thing is to phone them and explain everything. They will either have pity or they won't. If they still want full payment ask about registering for a video tag. "usually" they will wave the fines if you set up an account with them. You'll be on their system then & they like this. A video tag is free & it reduces the toll by 50c per crossing. With the video tag you will only ever pay for each use. No standing charge or anything like that.

Good luck & please let us know how you got on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement