Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media analogue switch off

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they state the main reason for the switch off is to improve the performance and capacity of their broadband network.

I think it's been well over a year since Virgin last upgraded speeds, I reckon the next speed increase will at least offer 500 megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    they state the main reason for the switch off is to improve the performance and capacity of their broadband network.

I think it's been well over a year since Virgin last upgraded speeds, I reckon the next speed increase will at least offer 500 megs.

That is if they continue on the path of upgrading everyone. They may switch to a more tiered offering like SIRO and Openeir with a 1Gb headline package for those willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Businesses can already avail of a 500Mb package on the same hardware. The current 360Mb limit is arbitrary. They can easily go higher but need to be careful they don't end up with 5x heavy users on the same run or congestion might creep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not sure what the benefit of going to higher speeds would be, for the vast majority of households 360 is no different to 240 in terms of what you can do online. It would take 10 users simultaneously streaming 4K video to max out a 240mb line (before you even get into the limitations of wifi etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

loyatemu wrote: »
    not sure what the benefit of going to higher speeds would be, for the vast majority of households 360 is no different to 240 in terms of what you can do online. It would take 10 users simultaneously streaming 4K video to max out a 240mb line (before you even get into the limitations of wifi etc).

Marketing. If everyone around you is selling 1gbps and you have 350mb, people are stupid enough to think the other service is a better one, irrespective of which package they end up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Upload speeds are what id love to improve.

Id quickly move to cloud backing up full time if it wasn't weeks of having a pc on(especially as mine is beside my bed not in a room on its own)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Slim i know but does the reduction in channels allow me to cancel my broadband? I don't pay for a tv but they come in on the cable anyway.

Advertisement