Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall of the Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I stopped taking following it when they made a jab about Northern Ireland saying "the Northern Irish are parading as well" something like that on a St Patricks Day episode maybe 10 years ago and they showed a load of orangemen, they assumed that all people from Northern Ireland were orangemen and Protestant. You know what some of us northerners are like, we don't forget little jabs like that. I didn't understand the joke, why wouldn't they be parading? St. Patrick is the patron saint of Northern Ireland isn't he?

I think you just summed up the problems in Northern Ireland rather than the Simpsons (i.e. everything is taken too seriously, normally I don't elaborate on my posts, assuming people will get it, but better to be more precise for this one).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will always watch the Simpsons no matter how ****e it gets. It will be a sad day when the last episode airs (it has to come someday)

Some classic moments which will never go out of date

Timelines are confusing as one min Marge and homer grew up in the 70s, then there's episodes where homer and marge were teens in the 90s

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will always watch the Simpsons no matter how ****e it gets. It will be a sad day when the last episode airs (it has to come someday)

Some classic moments which will never go out of date

Timelines are confusing as one min Marge and homer grew up in the 70s, then there's episodes where homer and marge were teens in the 90s

Thats the last "new" episode I watched, I gave up in despair after that, messing with the established Simpsons backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

PTH2009 wrote: »

Nothing confusing about it. It's called a sliding timescale, and it's a device a lot of animated shows have employed to keep their characters both ageless, while still living in the contemporary world.

It made perfect sense that Homer and Marge met in the 70s from the point of view of an episode from 1992. It makes no sense that they met in the 70s from the point of view of an ep from 2010. That is, if you also accept the characters are still both mid to late 30s.

I think why retconning rankles fans of the Simpsons so much is because it feels like crappy new Simpsons is not only being crappy, but is now encroaching on their beloved classic episodes in a tangible way. Though I would say that it's an animated show, and the concept of canon shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Funnily enough, the show really started to tank when the idea of Marge and Homer hooking in the 70s became increasingly untenable, given their respective ages. I wonder if there's a connection there... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TheDavester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

When the hell are they going to stop it falling.cancel it and put it out of its misery.its like flogging a dead horse making any more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

When the hell are they going to stop it falling.cancel it and put it out of its misery.its like flogging a dead horse making any more episodes.

Well it keeps making money so why stop ? The Disney buying Fox deal if its passed might have some kind of impact on the show but its hard to say.

It is signed up till Season 30 in 2019 and after that who knows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

The show went downhill ever since Conan O'Brien left as a writer. God, that man is funny...

The Simpsons of today is pure and utter trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Look, I'm a fan of The Simpsons, always have been, always will be.
    I'll watch any of the episode, will I think some new ones are crap? Of course. Most of them? Probably.
    Will I enjoy other new episodes? Yes. Will I recall the episode, scenes, and gags? Probably not.

But I'm in a much different place now, I was 10 in 95, I could sit down and watch 4 episodes back to back without a care in the world. Now I'm lucky to watch one. For this reason I rarely catch new ones "live" but I do on catch up.

There has been a trend though in the newer epsiodes and I use "newer" for the last 15 years or so where they really force jokes. Hard to explain, but they always try to add in another joke on top of it. I also hate it when they're singing it's just crap and filler e.g. when they're off to the steakhouse (turns out its Sideshow Bob setting a trap).

I do think they've improved the overall content by shortening the episode and adding in an additional scene that may or may not be related to the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Well it keeps making money so why stop ?

The bit that confuses me is how it is still making all this money?

The only relevance the Simpsons have had for about 15 years now is articles and discussions online about how bad it got and exactly when it jumped the shark, I've seen this topic discussed more times then I've had hot breakfasts. So who is still buying all the merchandise and watching all the new episodes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I still watch it from time to time but not to the extent i used to and the classic episodes will always be there for us to enjoy but the fact remains it has dragged on for far too long and needs to come to its natural conclusion its had its time to shine but like most things the shine eventually starts to burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I stopped taking following it when they made a jab about Northern Ireland saying "the Northern Irish are parading as well" something like that on a St Patricks Day episode maybe 10 years ago and they showed a load of orangemen, they assumed that all people from Northern Ireland were orangemen and Protestant. You know what some of us northerners are like, we don't forget little jabs like that. I didn't understand the joke, why wouldn't they be parading? St. Patrick is the patron saint of Northern Ireland isn't he?

The Prohibition episode had a deleted scene where everyone is getting pissed at the Parade and it cuts to "John Bulls Fish & Chip Shop" emblazoned with the Union Jack which then promptly explodes and to which everyone cheers. It was cut when shown here and in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I saw that scene loads of times on RTE 2 back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

How is it rating in America these days? My guess would be still well enough?

valoren wrote: »
    The Prohibition episode had a deleted scene where everyone is getting pissed at the Parade and it cuts to "John Bulls Fish & Chip Shop" emblazoned with the Union Jack which then promptly explodes and to which everyone cheers. It was cut when shown here and in the UK.
    Yeah it's not always cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Apparently there’s a huge controversy in the US about the Apu character. Racist etc. Whites are treated well, apparently, if you ignore the laziness of homer, the dysfunction of most of the town, and all the ethnic jokes against ethnic whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    The show went downhill ever since Conan O'Brien left as a writer. God, that man is funny...

The Simpsons of today is pure and utter trash.

+1 Also, John Swartzwelder. His Frank Burley books are great (although diminishing returns rears its head here as well). They're essentially Homer the detective. I love the opening of "Dead Men Scare Me Stupid"...

Well, they found Amelia Earhart. That's the good news. Unfortunately, they found her in the trunk of my car. Boy, was my face red. I had a lot of explaining to do there. And after I had explained everything, they didn't believe me! You probably won't believe me either, come to think of it. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

It all began a few month ago. I was in the middle of a murder investigation.

"SOMEONE IN THIS STADIUM IS THE KILLER...Killer...killer," I announced over the PA system.

A mighty roar of surprise and anger went up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Apparently there’s a huge controversy in the US about the Apu character. Racist etc. Whites are treated well, apparently, if you ignore the laziness of homer, the dysfunction of most of the town, and all the ethnic jokes against ethnic whites.

Jesus, imagine if everyone got that upset about every badly-done accent on The Simpsons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

One of my favorite scenes is this

"Right, no reporters". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Haven't watched any new Simpsons in ages but Apu was always one of the better balanced characters in the show conmpared to how dysfunctional most of the rest were. Is this latest outrage purely because he has an Indian accent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Example of the fake outrage modern world. Think there were a few sensitive souls offended by some things in Friends when they watched it last year on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A bit of a sad reaction to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I still watch the new ones if they are on, usually I put them on in the background. Sure the vast, vast majority of them are poor or just plain terrible, but there have been quite a few episodes that I have really enjoyed since season 11. And if I had to choose between getting to see those few episodes or the Simpsons having been 'put out of its misery' or whatever back in S10/11, it's a pretty straightforward choice. If you don't like it fine, but there is absolutely zero tangible benefit to it being shut down, every one episode that is good justifies it's existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Mutant z wrote: »
    I still watch it from time to time but not to the extent i used to and the classic episodes will always be there for us to enjoy but the fact remains it has dragged on for far too long and needs to come to its natural conclusion its had its time to shine but like most things the shine eventually starts to burn out.

Its natural conclusion was in the late '90s.

Season 8's "The Old Man and the Lisa" could have been a good final episode - ending with Homer suffering one final heart attack and dying.

If you don't like it fine, but there is absolutely zero tangible benefit to it being shut down, every one episode that is good justifies it's existence.

Might have to agree to disagree with you on that one.

A 22-episode series, with one good episode and the other 21 all being poor at best, doesn't really justify its existence IMHO. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Its natural conclusion was in the late '90s.

Season 8's "The Old Man and the Lisa" could have been a good final episode - ending with Homer suffering one final heart attack and dying.

If you ended the Simpsons there, you would have missed out on one of the best episodes ever- Homer's Enemy. Definitely worth sticking around a bit longer to get that episode in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Funny how you don't see any prominent Scottish-American immigrants complaining about the portrayal of groundskeeper Willy. Why do these things only draw outrage when skin colour is involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Funny how you don't see any prominent Scottish-American immigrants complaining about the portrayal of groundskeeper Willy. Why do these things only draw outrage when skin colour is involved?

Haven't heard any slack jawed yokels complaining either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

If you ended the Simpsons there, you would have missed out on one of the best episodes ever- Homer's Enemy. Definitely worth sticking around a bit longer to get that episode in!

Unless, of course, you rearranged the order so that "The Old Man and the Lisa" aired *after* that episode and "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson". ;)

As I said before, Fox ultimately decided that the show must go on while it remains profitable. Troy McClure's words at the end of "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular" turned out to be ominous...

Because some people are unbelievably narrow-minded. :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Might have to agree to disagree with you on that one.

A 22-episode series, with one good episode and the other 21 all being poor at best, doesn't really justify its existence IMHO. :o
    Justify it to who though? The people who don't watch it anymore?

I don't look at it as 1 < 21 but rather 1 > 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah it's not always cut.
    Its like when you hear people saying "Did you know about the banned episode of Star Trek where Data talks about Irish reunification in 2027 as an example of a time terrorism succeeded? The British had it banned and it was never shown over here...", except I remember seeing it on RTE2 and Sky back in the day, where else would you have seen it back then? There was no internet.

Advertisement