Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Styrofoam disposal

• 26-03-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ yogibear77

I have a load of Styrofoam that I need to get rid of. Does anyone know where I can dispose of it. I've looked on the Granny recycling site and it only says plastic packaging. Don't know if this comes under it or not.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭ stimpson

If it came from a retailer then they have to accept the packaging back for recycling. Otherwise it’s black bin. None of the recycling centres accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ yogibear77

It was furniture in big cardboard boxes which is lined with tones of this stuff. Can't see the shop being willing to take it back. It will take months to get rid of It in the black bin that's full as it is going out.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭ stimpson

yogibear77 wrote: »
    It was furniture in big cardboard boxes which is lined with tones of this stuff. Can't see the shop being willing to take it back. It will take months to get rid of It in the black bin that's full as it is going out.

Thanks for your help

They are legally obliged to take it back.

Oh! I didn't know that. Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say......fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,737 ✭✭✭✭ looksee

I saw a van around waterford a few days ago with information on it that they collected waste polystyrene. Can't be any more help but it is done apparently.

Edit - could have been these: http://www.rehabrecycle.ie/recycling-services/paper-occ-eps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭ CeilingFly

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Oh! I didn't know that. Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say......fingers crossed

yes they must and they will also have a way of recycling it - very few places recycle styrofoam and its a pain in the backside to recycle and the value of the recycled brick it becoms is very small.

I contacted friends of the earth and they take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭ Shred

*Drags thread from the dark depths of Boards*

I just wanted to backup what's being said here; I purchased a TV from Powercity in January and was trying to decide what I could do about the StyroFoam when clearing out the shed last weekend. I called them earlier and they just asked me to bring my receipt and took it without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭ Asdfgh2020

If you have an open fire in your gaff could you not just break it into suitable sizes and let the fire deal with it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭ The Continental Op

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    If you have an open fire in your gaff could you not just break it into suitable sizes and let the fire deal with it...:)

The cardboard and I'll be shot down for even saying maybe but not the plastic.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal
    Ultra Running Mod

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Nobody should take this advise

Advertisement