Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Niro Phev

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

liamog wrote: »
    Here's a good link from Fastned showing the charging curve. The I3 will not charge above 50kW. But it does stay their until 85%.

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/204784718-Charging-with-a-BMW

The reading on the side of the eCars charger is just energy is going in to the charger. Some people interpreted it as the car charger at a higher rate when its warmer, Instead it was just a charger using lots of energy keeping itself cool.

50kW to 85% is very decent, didn't know it was that good

Don't see why the hate on the i3 charge rate with 1.5c till 85%, not many can compete with that today

Always say it, but a 33kWh rex 3 series would have been some car, BMW knew that I presume

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My dad sat in one of these yesterday and was very impressed. He's looking at buying something new, and had liked the Toyota CHR, but I reckon he prefers this. From reading through this thread it seems anyone who has one is getting on well. My dad's usage is generally low, lots of shorter trips and the odd long trip from Dublin to Limerick. He's not quite ready for fully electric just yet and this appeals.

Any input from anyone who has owned one for a while would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He's not quite ready for fully electric just yet

That's the main reason many people buy PHEV, not so much a rational decision, more a feeling it's one step too far. Maybe fully electric next time.

But if you look at their use of the car, it might very well be that fully electric is already perfectly suited. Would you explore that a bit more, Alan? Many benefits of going fully electric.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

unkel wrote: »
    That's the main reason many people buy PHEV, not so much a rational decision, more a feeling it's one step too far. Maybe fully electric next time.

But if you look at their use of the car, it might very well be that fully electric is already perfectly suited. Would you explore that a bit more, Alan? Many benefits of going fully electric.

So here's his logic. They're a two car household. One Yaris hybrid and potentially this Niro PHEV. The Yaris will be changed soon ish, and he wants to go full electric there. So the Phev will be their 'big' car for longer journeys.

I think this makes sense for the most part. He has been clinging onto his E60 523i for a long time and it's dying a slow death, so really I think he's ready to take the plunge for a 2020 reg now. And budget wise the Niro Phev is top end, I'm not sure he can reach for the e-Niro.

Can't argue with any of that and most BEV are quite expensive at the moment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My dad's usage is generally low, lots of shorter trips and the odd long trip from Dublin to Limerick.

What do the "lots of shorter trips" add upto in the day?

If he is regularly exceeding the range of a PHEV it might not be the right choice as they take 2hrs+ to charge up so topups during the day arent very practical if you need to go somewhere again quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What's wrong with an Outlander PHEV ?
    A 2017 gx4hs will tick all boxes.
    Brought from UK,I'll say max €25k_ish on Irish plate.

My L24 does small trips but horse work Outlander all the way.

rolion wrote: »
    What's wrong with an Outlander PHEV ?

Nothing. But it is €40k new, which is well outside of Alanstrainor's dad's budget. And I'm getting the impression that he is looking for a new car, not a second hand one.

KCross wrote: »
    What do the "lots of shorter trips" add upto in the day?

If he is regularly exceeding the range of a PHEV it might not be the right choice as they take 2hrs+ to charge up so topups during the day arent very practical if you need to go somewhere again quickly.

The Niro PHEV has a claimed range of over 50km and I would reckon he would do under that on a typical day. I'd actually guess considerably so. So I think the PHEV does actually fit nicely here.

As for the Outlander, he just doesn't want something that big really.

He did ask me to post up this question about the Niro. Does the heater work in electric mode? Or are you left cold on mornings this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

My dad sat in one of these yesterday and was very impressed. He's looking at buying something new, and had liked the Toyota CHR, but I reckon he prefers this. From reading through this thread it seems anyone who has one is getting on well. My dad's usage is generally low, lots of shorter trips and the odd long trip from Dublin to Limerick. He's not quite ready for fully electric just yet and this appeals.

Any input from anyone who has owned one for a while would be great.

Kia IRL added 1000e to latest facelift 2020 model that you now see in the showrooms in the lighter blue metallic shade. So all in the net cost is approx 33,600. Order by 18th Dec and you get 500e Supervalu shopping voucher.

So getting expensive especially if you think of it as a 41K car pre grants but compares well against UKs price of 32,500 stg, they added 1,000 stg to their facelift. But a lot of car for the money. No test drives available here yet in this latest edition but I sat in a few myself in last 2 weeks getting trade-in prices and IMHO its a fine car if a PHEV is your car of choice.

Thankfully they got rid of that foot "handbrake" so now has proper electronic parking brake with autohold. Other improvements include Lane follow assist in addition to LKA, ACC now with full stop and Go function, beautiful 10.25" touchscreen and lovely supervision cluster, bigger disk brakes to rear. Can't say for certain but I think the steering mounted paddle shifters also have a dual function, battery regen plus or minus in Drive mode or manual gearing up and down while in Sport mode.

Nothing new with onboard charger still max 3.3kW and battery same as before 8.9kWh. I still see 2 charging cables in the boot in any car I’ve inspected. There was talk that they were no longer supplying the “grany cable”. Slight disappointment they did not go with full LED's all round this time.

Will still be "chape to tax" with 29g/km under current NEDC 2 regime rising to I believe just 31g/km under full WLTP. I also read that the official NOx Emissions is 8-9mg/km so next years NOx charge will be of the order of just 40-45 euro. So no great dis-insentive there to move away from an ICE PHEV just yet. Would be a different story of course under Real Driving Emmissions (RDE) for Niro Phev,that figure is closer to 90 mg/km if or when we ever get around to a tax under that system.

May not be your dads cup of tea but BTW a PHEV version of the new sporty Xceed crossover is expected here in the spring. The funky looking interior yellow trim pack is a great match for the exterior Quantom Yellow colour. - for the young at heart i'd say. I like the tasteful reserved style of the Niro, when combined with all the high tech make for a nicely packaged car which may well be my next motor. If only it was that bit cheaper, but its such a great seller for KIA that they did not feel the need to include it in 0% finance offers for 2020.

• Advertisement

The Niro PHEV has a claimed range of over 50km and I would reckon he would do under that on a typical day. I'd actually guess considerably so. So I think the PHEV does actually fit nicely here.

He did ask me to post up this question about the Niro. Does the heater work in electric mode? Or are you left cold on mornings this time of year!

Claimed range and actual are very different! :)

40-50km is about right though depending on speed and conditions.

One of the biggest downsides of this PHEV at least, is that the heating comes from the engine so it doesnt matter if you are only driving 10km's up the road on a frosty morning the engine will still fire up to heat the cabin.

The only way to stop it is turn off climate control completely and use the heated seats and steering.... which are quite good but its disapointing that Kia didnt give the option of cabin pre-heating when plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

I have one since Jan this year.

I love it.

I got the PHEV mainly as its in budget, range is ok for daily, but have back up of the petrol engine for longer journeys.

In terms of range, roughly I'm getting about 50km for a full charge.

The biggest downside i see is that if you have to use the fan (and i seem to need to quite a lot for demisting the windscreen in cold weather), that it uses battery on low, but any temperature setting >5C different to outside world temp needs the engine to run.

when the PCP is up in 2 odd years I'd probably look at getting the full BEV (price dependent).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

unkel wrote: »
    Can't argue with any of that and most BEV are quite expensive at the moment too.

This is my biggest stumbling block. I am fully convinced by BEV, and would love to change to one next year, but the cost is massive. We are a one car household, and even then its so high.

we're currently on PCP, and will have to make a call early next year for June move. Maybe PHEV is a better option on a purely cost basis. The majority of our driving is Dublin, with Cork and Galway long runs once a month.

I just did a little googling on Niro PHEV for reviews and didn't seem to get great reviews hence I jumped on here.

budhabob wrote: »
    This is my biggest stumbling block. I am fully convinced by BEV, and would love to change to one next year, but the cost is massive. We are a one car household, and even then its so high.

we're currently on PCP, and will have to make a call early next year for June move. Maybe PHEV is a better option on a purely cost basis. The majority of our driving is Dublin, with Cork and Galway long runs once a month.

I just did a little googling on Niro PHEV for reviews and didn't seem to get great reviews hence I jumped on here.

My advice is wait for a 2nd hand Kona, keep the money, save it, you'll pay a lot on depreciation on a new car anyway, keep the money and buy a BEV, you won't regret it.

Have you looked at a I3 Rex ? the 94 Ah ? great car to drive, 140-210 Kms Winter - Summer on BEV and then run on Petrol when you need it, it's got the longest battery range of any PHEV available. Can even get more range in Winter but I drive it hard most of the time commuting 142 Kms.

Looks aside, test drive it, that sold it for me, I instantly loved it despite a few years criticising it, 2 years on and I still really love every minute driving it, it's a lot of fun, it's small but surprisingly roomy inside.

What's the new price of the Niro PHEV ?

It was about €31k if buying cash. Might have been a small price increase since I looked though.

daheff wrote: »
    I have one since Jan this year.

The biggest downside i see is that if you have to use the fan (and i seem to need to quite a lot for demisting the windscreen in cold weather), that it uses battery on low, but any temperature setting >5C different to outside world temp needs the engine to run.

Thanks - Now that's a piece of info you'll only get from a real world user and not find in any manual.

Anything from 33,600 to 33,750 after incentives. Have to haggle hard to get discounts.

The majority of our driving is Dublin, with Cork and Galway long runs once a month.

If your daily driving is <50km it will do fine.

The long runs will do about 5-5.5l/100km in petrol, which is quite good.

Other than that its down to personal taste and whether you like the look/feel of it.

What were the complaints?

From my test drives I'd have three....
    - No cabin pre-heating when plugged in
    - Cabin heating causes the engine to run even for short journeys.
    - It doesnt drive as smoothly or powerfully as the BEV version.

Other than that its an excellent, practical car for a small family if thats the style of car you want.

Just wondering in these chilly mornings would it be a better strategy anyway to deliberately let the car engine run, starting off in HEV for a mile or so just to get everything heated up and then perhaps potentially getting a better range later after switching back to EV?

Had chats with many a dealer and they are asking crazy money for 191 and especially 192 demos being almost close to new prices. Usually being driven by staff themselves as there daily motors to and from work. Seem reluctant to part with them. Nearly now have to ring ahead just to be sure that the demo is there on the forecourt because some worker may have switched his day off has it at home. Happened to me after driving 80km to see the demo car.

alanowx wrote: »
    Just wondering in these chilly mornings would it be a better strategy anyway to deliberately let the car engine run, starting off in HEV for a mile or so just to get everything heated up and then perhaps potentially getting a better range later after switching back to EV?

Depends on the journey. If it for instance was just a quick school drop and back home... no.
    If it was a 50km commute to work then yes.

alanowx wrote: »
    Had chats with many a dealer and they are asking crazy money for 191 and especially 192 demos being almost close to new prices. Usually being driven by staff themselves as there daily motors to and from work. Seem reluctant to part with them.

Same here. It was the saleswomans daily driver. She had all sorts of stuff in the boot when I was taking it for a few days test drive! :)

Depends on the journey. If it for instance was just a quick school drop and back home... no.
    If it was a 50km commute to work then yes.

Same here. It was the saleswomans daily driver. She had all sorts of stuff in the boot when I was taking it for a few days test drive! :)

Yeah on journey length, didn't think of that. Would defeat the purpose on short runs but no school runs here. I almost refuse to drive my petrol 1.0 unless I'm doing at least 5 miles. Old habits die hard.

I'd say you'd find it hard to get one for a few days test drive these days.

• Advertisement

My dad ended up putting in an order for one of these in the end. Trading in his old 523i. Hoping to collect in January. He went around to all the Kia dealers he could find and went with the best deal. He was happy enough in the end, well he will be when he gets it!

My dad ended up putting in an order for one of these in the end. Trading in his old 523i. Hoping to collect in January. He went around to all the Kia dealers he could find and went with the best deal. He was happy enough in the end, well he will be when he gets it!

What's the OTR price these days for the Niro PHEV?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

€33995 according to my local dealers price list, you might get one a bit cheaper if its ex demo,

graememk wrote: »
    €33995 according to my local dealers price list, you might get one a bit cheaper if its ex demo,

Price lists are negotiable though.... wanted to see if a discount was offered. When I asked and it was cash they knocked €1500 off without any haggling so I was wondering if things have changed since it was almost a year ago I asked.

Price lists are negotiable though.... wanted to see if a discount was offered. When I asked and it was cash they knocked €1500 off without any haggling so I was wondering if things have changed since it was almost a year ago I asked.

They can knock 1500 off by adding 1500 to the price in the first place.....

They can knock 1500 off by adding 1500 to the price in the first place.....

Of course, its to cover trade-in's mainly and to give themselves wriggle room.

I want to know what the "real" price of it is now, as there was a price increase I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Quick query guys:

My wife got a Kia Niro PHEV a few days back and is very happy with it.

However, we were driving home last night and the EV range dropped from 44km to 33km in a second or two as we were driving - after about 5 minutes of previous driving.

Any ideas why it would drop so suddenly? We were driving using the electric motor only.

Quick query guys:

My wife got a Kia Niro PHEV a few days back and is very happy with it.

However, we were driving home last night and the EV range dropped from 44km to 33km in a second or two as we were driving - after about 5 minutes of previous driving.

Any ideas why it would drop so suddenly? We were driving using the electric motor only.

Just curious as to why ye got the PHEV vs the 400 Km EV version ?

The range calculation is exactly that, a calculation, a prediction based on previous driving which will adjust as you drive further. Colder weather, more use of the heater, wet roads, wind will have a big impact.

The PHEV only has 8.9 Kwh, probably less usable, that's not a lot compared to the 64 Kwh available in the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

About 7000 reasons maybe?

Yes I notice the range drop the second I press the AC button, turn the AC off it goes back up.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

kanuseeme wrote: »
    About 7000 reasons maybe?

Yes I notice the range drop the second I press the AC button, turn the AC off it goes back up.:D:D:D

Could be the 7000 reasons alright.

The old Leaf used to do this too as soon as you turn on heat and ac. The one with the updated battery didn't do this if I remember correctly.

It's just a preset setting to deduct what the engineers estimate will be lost in range.

Advertisement