Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have grounds for a complaint (reg. job interview?)

Options
  • 23-03-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    To keep things short: I had an interview on Wednesday and I was told by one of the managers that I came across as " fragile". I think this is a highly bizarre and frankly insulting thing to say to a candidate and considering I'm anything but. Apparently she based this on the " fact" that I came across as "very calm" and that non-verbally I wasn't very expressive. Whether true or not, to label that as fragile I think is way of the mark and to be honest I feel insulted by her remark. Could I send and e-mail to HR regarding this statement?
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

To what end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

now you are actually being fragile so the person was quite astute, leave it be and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Jenneke87 wrote:
    Hey there, To keep things short: I had an interview on Wednesday and I was told by one of the managers that I came across as " fragile". I think this is a highly bizarre and frankly insulting thing to say to a candidate and considering I'm anything but. Apparently she based this on the " fact" that I came across as "very calm" and that non-verbally I wasn't very expressive. Whether true or not, to label that as fragile I think is way of the mark and to be honest I feel insulted by her remark. Could I send and e-mail to HR regarding this statement? Thanks for your help

Is this applying for a new job or a promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

No, calling you 'fragile' is not appropriate. But I am not sure there is anything to gain by emailing them,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    To keep things short: I had an interview on Wednesday and I was told by one of the managers that I came across as " fragile". I think this is a highly bizarre and frankly insulting thing to say to a candidate and considering I'm anything but. Apparently she based this on the " fact" that I came across as "very calm" and that non-verbally I wasn't very expressive. Whether true or not, to label that as fragile I think is way of the mark and to be honest I feel insulted by her remark. Could I send and e-mail to HR regarding this statement?
    Thanks for your help

time to complain was when the comment was passed not a few days later using a faceless email message

let it go and be glad that you won't have to work for such a person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Unless you were discriminated against on the basis of one of the "big nine", then no, you don't have grounds for complaint.

An interviewer once told me he thought I'd be hard to manage. Should I have complained about him? Either take on board or dismiss what they said and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hey there,
    Thanks for your help

And the prosecution rests...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It's weird to describe you as fragile based on the cues you mentioned, but I'm wondering if she actually based it on something else - perhaps she'd spoken to a previous employer or work colleague. The only thing you'll gain by emailing now is to confirm her suspicion.
    She has a pair of rocks on her to say it to you, I'd be afraid I'd get sued for some kind of -ism if I said that to a candidate. Suppose the fact she's female helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What the hell?

She said you where calm and collective from what you are saying and she calls you fragile.

Whats the HR expecting or wanting, a wrestling match during the interview?

What a loon, just move on with it. Or send them a smart arse email.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I was once told in an IT interview that they thought that I wasn't geeky enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If this is an internal interview it would be awfully unwise to make a complaint, now you could have cut that manager off by saying at the time you thought the comment was inappropriate, but that opportunity has passed. Complaining now could very well put a stop to you getting subsequent jobs.

If it was an external interview then belt away and complain to your hearts content, they don’t want you anyway so you’ve nothing to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Take it on the chin and use the comment to better yourself in the next interview

This is telling
    and that non-verbally I wasn't very expressive.

Interviewers expect some kind of reactions throughout the interview, things like head cocked, nodding, smiling etc - maybe you weren't doing any of that and were just staring straight at them. Still calling you fragile because of that is a weird use of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Move on from it. Saying to any candidate that they come across as fragile is a stupid comment to make by any interviewer, stupid but doesn't warrant a complaint

Would you want to work for her? No. Will you ever have to sit in the same room again her? No.

Try feel relieved that you're not the one who has been hired working for her and focus all of your energy towards your next interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

go in and ask to talk to the person who made the comment. give her a piece of your mind. might make you feel better than making a useless complaint, and you can prove her wrong at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Move on and take the comments on board. Most interviewers don't care enough to give feedback, at least you know you have some areas to improve upon from it

go in and ask to talk to the person who made the comment. give her a piece of your mind. might make you feel better than making a useless complaint, and you can prove her wrong at the same time.

Or, prove her wrong by not following the above advice and move on to the next opportunity/interview

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The OP could, unless there's some paint drying that they could watch instead, which would be a more productive use of their time.

Checked your posting history - fragile is probably the last thing you are lol, brush it off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sometimes interviewers will say these things to rile you up and see how you react. A busy, high stress environment will often have people blurting things out.

Usually you would try and disprove their comments calmy. Explain they are wrong to make those assumptions and what experience you have etc

I would say move on and learn from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

The OP could, unless there's some paint drying that they could watch instead, which would be a more productive use of their time.

OP asked about making a complaint, which as i said is also likely to be unproductive, but also give nothing in the way of personal satisfaction. going to a job interview is an opportunity to evaluate if someone is suitable for the role, and while this is certainly based on a variety of factors with plenty of grey areas, the candidate's experience, education, ability to work as a team/independently, possession of the right amount of confidence and competence, ability to communicate, and be appropriately presented for the job is what evaluations and feedback should be based on. in essence, their professional profile, not assumed secondary characteristics. feedback should not veer into insult, as it did here.

some may decide to let this unprofessional and rude behavior slide because, as you say, it may be unproductive to react. good for you.

but something doesn't have to be productive to be satisfying, does it? and while it is often prudent to pick your battles, there are far too many people who are getting away with abusive behavior due to being in a position of power, especially employers, landlords, teachers/lecturers, to the point that they are as casual about it as the OP's interviewer was. and it will continue if they are never pulled up on it.

so whilst it may not be productive, if i was told i was too fragile and didn't like it I would do something to let them know i didn't like it, and i would be sure to do it in a very non-fragile way.

• Advertisement

OP asked about making a complaint, which as i said is also likely to be unproductive, but also give nothing in the way of personal satisfaction. going to a job interview is an opportunity to evaluate if someone is suitable for the role, and while this is certainly based on a variety of factors with plenty of grey areas, the candidate's experience, education, ability to work as a team/independently, possession of the right amount of confidence and competence, ability to communicate, and be appropriately presented for the job is what evaluations and feedback should be based on. in essence, their professional profile, not assumed secondary characteristics. feedback should not veer into insult, as it did here.

some may decide to let this unprofessional and rude behavior slide because, as you say, it may be unproductive to react. good for you.

but something doesn't have to be productive to be satisfying, does it? and while it is often prudent to pick your battles, there are far too many people who are getting away with abusive behavior due to being in a position of power, especially employers, landlords, teachers/lecturers, to the point that they are as casual about it as the OP's interviewer was. and it will continue if they are never pulled up on it.

so whilst it may not be productive, if i was told i was too fragile and didn't like it I would do something to let them know i didn't like it, and i would be sure to do it in a very non-fragile way.

Where on earth do you find the time to address things this way.
    Either address the comment at the time, or be bulletproof and move on, going back looking for satisfaction is being “fragile”

Already flown the coop and do you really advise someone to challenge an aside, made either wrongly or not, in a country where the chances of the next interviewer/employer knowing the previous prospective employer

Move on, simple as. Life is too short to worry about comments like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davidind8

Hey there,
    Thanks for your help

If its an internal interview for a promotion etc. particularly with a large employer there should be clear scoring criteria for getting the role, you could reasonably challenge them for not following these and relying on comments like that. Challenging arbitary and unclear feedback from a manager isnt being fragile. Certainly in larger unionised companies it wouldnt be unusual for employees to appeal a promotional decision on these sort of grounds by taking a grievance. Obviously you know your company better than me and can figure out if thats worth doing in your situation.

An alternative could be to ask for a meeting with the manager in question to talk about it, being honest and saying this is bugging you and youd like an explanation isnt unreasonable, particularly if you tone the request for the meeting correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I had an interview
    was told by one of the managers that I came across as " fragile"
    non-verbally I wasn't very expressive.
    Jaysus. Someone tells you why you did sh|te in the interview, and the first thing that comes across your mind is how to fcuking have them lynched?
    Whether true or not
    Perhaps in the next interview, be less "fragile", and you may get the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

God I feel old reading this thread, there was a time when instant feedback from an interviewer meant you had a serious chance of getting the job this was your chance to stand out from the other favoured candidates, I always loved this type of comment.

God I feel old reading this thread, there was a time when instant feedback from an interviewer meant you had a serious chance of getting the job this was your chance to stand out from the other favoured candidates, I always loved this type of comment.

In fairness to the op, it was an insult. And nobody should be insulted in a job interview. Constructive criticism/ feedback fair enough, but not an insult

The interviewer was not being professional, they were being a dick. Everyone makes mistakes so maybe it was simply a slip of the tongue.

But the op should just forget it and put all of their energy into the next interview, not dwell on the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'm really not sure it was an insult... In my second interview for my current job the manager told me he had concerns around my ability to have the tough conversations I would need to have, which is pretty close to the ops scenario. Possibly phrased better but similar.
    Him saying that was an opportunity for me to give examples of where I'd done it in the past, and to discuss that aspect of the role in depth and get a feel for if it was something I wanted and for him to get a feel for whether I could actually do it or not.
    No interview is going to be totally plain sailing and no one is going to be a 100% fit for a job, so a hiring manager is within their rights to discuss areas they fear are a mismatch.
    OP maybe have a look at how you dealt with it at the time and use the experience to figure out how to react to being challenged in an interview.
    I don't think at this stage you will benefit from any further communication with the company.

TG1 wrote: »
    I'm really not sure it was an insult... In my second interview for my current job the manager told me he had concerns around my ability to have the tough conversations I would need to have, which is pretty close to the ops scenario. Possibly phrased better but similar.
    Him saying that was an opportunity for me to give examples of where I'd done it in the past, and to discuss that aspect of the role in depth and get a feel for if it was something I wanted and for him to get a feel for whether I could actually do it or not.
    No interview is going to be totally plain sailing and no one is going to be a 100% fit for a job, so a hiring manager is within their rights to discuss areas they fear are a mismatch.
    OP maybe have a look at how you dealt with it at the time and use the experience to figure out how to react to being challenged in an interview.
    I don't think at this stage you will benefit from any further communication with the company.

I’m sorry your example is completely different, and the interviewer was clearly giving you some specific points to address and it sounds like a completely normal type of question to be asked in an interview.

You were not insulted, you were given the chance to address a tough aspect of the job you were applying for. The op was simply labeled as fragile based on their interview performance.

A question is expected, an insult isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I’m sorry your example is completely different, and the interviewer was clearly giving you some specific points to address and it sounds like a completely normal type of question to be asked in an interview.

You were not insulted, you were given the chance to address a tough aspect of the job you were applying for. The op was simply labeled as fragile based on their interview performance.

A question is expected, an insult isn’t.

Yes but my point is that we don't know the context it was said in as we were not in the interview and nay actually have been said to give the op an opportunity to defend themselves.

If they floundered and didn't take the opportunity then they were proving the interviewer right.

I think you are too fragile to deal with x and y which are large parts of this role for example, isn't an insult in my opinion, it's a discussion starter in an interview setting. Yes, I personally wouldn't use the word fragile, but it's not an insult and there is nothing in it to complain about.

You're too fragile thrown in at the end of an interview, again perhaps not the best phrasing, but not an insult either. It's giving a candidate feedback, so they know how they performed so they can improve in the future.

I've had someone cry in an interview, and I told her there and then that while she was a great candidate I had to base decisions on interview performance and on this occasion that performance wouldn't cut it as I couldn't have someone who cried under pressure in a shop floor role.

I don't think that was an insult, but it was essentially saying she was too fragile in her interview for me to give her a job.

• Advertisement

TG1 wrote: »
    Yes but my point is that we don't know the context it was said in as we were not in the interview and nay actually have been said to give the op an opportunity to defend themselves.

If they floundered and didn't take the opportunity then they were proving the interviewer right.

I think you are too fragile to deal with x and y which are large parts of this role for example, isn't an insult in my opinion, it's a discussion starter in an interview setting. Yes, I personally wouldn't use the word fragile, but it's not an insult and there is nothing in it to complain about.

You're too fragile thrown in at the end of an interview, again perhaps not the best phrasing, but not an insult either. It's giving a candidate feedback, so they know how they performed so they can improve in the future.

I've had someone cry in an interview, and I told her there and then that while she was a great candidate I had to base decisions on interview performance and on this occasion that performance wouldn't cut it as I couldn't have someone who cried under pressure in a shop floor role.

I don't think that was an insult, but it was essentially saying she was too fragile in her interview for me to give her a job.

Why would you not use the word fragile?

Advertisement