Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo the first county to tackle illegal dumping by using Eircodes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

what can you do with litter fines though - in reality it could (or it might even already) go to court and the lawyer says "judge, my client is on low income and cannot afford the fine and would like to pay 5euro a month until the fine is repaid in full" and then thats it , no, I think there needs more deterrent than a fine. in those cases fines dont work.

and of course you have to catch them in the act if there is illegal dumping or I still reckon even so on this eircode thing is everyone going to be affected or are there going to be a few caught and "made and example of" whilst others get away with it?

dingding wrote: »
    Every residence has a unique eircode.  ....

I dont want to get in any trouble here , or proportion any blame or suggest anything ... but no, not every residence has an eircode ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

what can you do with litter fines though - in reality it could (or it might even already) go to court and the lawyer says "judge, my client is on low income and cannot afford the fine and would like to pay 5euro a month until the fine is repaid in full" and then thats it , no, I think there needs more deterrent than a fine. in those cases fines dont work.

and of course you have to catch them in the act if there is illegal dumping or I still reckon even so on this eircode thing is everyone going to be affected or are there going to be a few caught and "made and example of" whilst others get away with it?

Can't see it working myself. Just a waste of postage. What about the vacant house in Gurteen, or the Polish lad in Tubbercurry, or the traveller or Romanian in Sligo town and everybody else who refuses or just forgets to fill in the paperwork? What will the council do, send the litter warden around, or serve a summons on an eircode?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can't see it working myself. Just a waste of postage. What about the vacant house in Gurteen, or the Polish lad in Tubbercurry, or the traveller or Romanian in Sligo town and everybody else who refuses or just forgets to fill in the paperwork? What will the council do, send the litter warden around, or serve a summons on an eircode?

cannot see it working myself as well , and can see it being scrapped after a while of in operation

I am wondering if maybe its a bit of spin with it in the newspapers and on the radio to maybe put the wind up people - some people be like "ooh better make sure of disposing our rubbish now because the coco is checking all eircodes on in what way get rid of your rubbish"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Every residence has a unique eircode.  ....

I dont want to get in any trouble here , or proportion any blame or suggest anything ... but no, not every residence has an eircode ;)

The intention is that every residence has a unique code,  Unlike the UK where the code references a number of properties, Blocks of apartments have individual codes for each apartment.  It is more to identify property than to facilitate the postal services.  There may be cases where they have got this wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And what about apartments? And what if people refuse to acknowledge the letters? What sanctions can the council bring to bear?

Apartments have numbers.

Apartments have numbers.

And eircodes

Mobile residential property has no number and no eircode...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mobile residential property has no number and no eircode...

But halting sites do have Eircodes.

And eircodes

The block would have a code, each apartment a number.

This isn't rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The block would have a code, each apartment a number.

This isn't rocket science.

Not rocket science at all. But where is the legislation for the coco to garner this info. What are the penalties if I refuse to acknowledge this request? What if I'm on a 'pay as you go' system, do I just forward my most recent receipt and thats me covered?

So so many questions and no answers. Probably better off just putting their letter in my recycling bin with the rest of the junk mail.

Victor wrote: »

do they , i didnt know that. - mind you that covers people living on a halting site then .

also if its only going to be a system introduced in Sligo at the moment who do you stop other people coming in from out of the area and tipping the rubbish?

Www.eircode.ie

F91 DR4R

who's eircode is that? :D

who's eircode is that? :D

Our wheeled bretherens 'temporary' car park in town I'm guessing.

Edit. Yup.

Our wheeled bretherens 'temporary' car park in town I'm guessing.

Edit. Yup.

:D

.. if they move their residential home on wheels 300 yards up the road does the eircode change then I am wondering? haha :D

Victor wrote: »

Out of interest, I put the Ballyfree halting site into the Eircode site, not only does the site have a eircode, but each individual bay has it's own code.

Out of interest, I put the Ballyfree halting site into the Eircode site, not only does the site have a eircode, but each individual bay has it's own code.

ooh very modren :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

. But the first area to be tacked is a bog up in Tubbercurry , now I dont know how many visitors to the area go to a bog up in tubbercurry,
    This area in question is probably one of the most littered places in the entire country. I never seen any place as bad. Its not just the odd cup of coffee or takeaway wrappers it's tons of black bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Brought recycling to Greenstar/Panda last week and was given a sheet requesting phone number and eircode and name/address etc. I have no intention of filling in this sheet. I rocked up to the site with my segregated, clean waste and paid for the disposal thereof. There is no way they need my information. I keep my receipts and will give short shrift to anyone coming looking for where I dispose of my rubbish.
    Have a garden compost heap and a couple of dogs so don't need a brown bin and have approximately 2-3 bags of total rubbish that I cannot recycle in the year which I bring to Greenstar maybe twice a year - pay by weight and keep the receipt safe.

• Advertisement

This area in question is probably one of the most littered places in the entire country. I never seen any place as bad. Its not just the odd cup of coffee or takeaway wrappers it's tons of black bags.

havent been there - sounds like its an (unofficial) made into landfill site then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Eircodes are great. Try giving directions to someone anywhere that involves a townland, man it's cat.

7 digit code later and Joseph Ndo is your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Sadly tomtom still can't use it.

Advertisement