Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BREAKING: Maryland school shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Perhaps this was a staged event by the anti-gun lobbyists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

ELM327 wrote:

Your tinfoil hat is on too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gravelly wrote: »
    I agree with that, the question is, what new laws? No law, new or otherwise banning guns is realistic in the US, whatever we might think of that.
    No, there's no way to click your fingers and put the genie back in the bottle, but there are plenty of ways to reduce gun circulation over time.

- Ban all private gun sales (if you want to sell your gun, you sell it to a dealer)

- Mandatory registration of all firearms
    -- Including an obligation to report thefts/losses (and penalties if you don't)
    -- Severe penalties for possessing a weapon that is not licenced to you; like 5-10 years in prison.

- Basic checks and limits on who can buy weapons and how many weapons they can own

- Random amnesties where people can register / surrender unlicenced weapons without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I'll stick with the topic if it's ok with you. You want to engage in whataboutery off you go.

Same as every thread. If it doesn't suit your argument......

It was you that started talking about unrelated 9 year olds btw.

Same as every thread. If it doesn't suit your email argument......

What's wrong, bad day? Looking for a row? What's an 'email argument' btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

seamus wrote: »
    No, there's no way to click your fingers and put the genie back in the bottle, but there are plenty of ways to reduce gun circulation over time.

- Ban all private gun sales (if you want to sell your gun, you sell it to a dealer)

- Mandatory registration of all firearms
    -- Including an obligation to report thefts/losses (and penalties if you don't)
    -- Severe penalties for possessing a weapon that is not licenced to you; like 5-10 years in prison.

- Basic checks and limits on who can buy weapons and how many weapons they can own

- Random amnesties where people can register / surrender unlicenced weapons without penalty.

The only one of those laws which could pass without, at the least, major civil unrest in any state other than California is the last one. If you think the majority of Americans, even the mild-mannered ones, would accept the rest of those laws you don't know America.

It was you that started talking about unrelated 9 year olds btw.

See you didn't give my comment about the 9 year old context. It was a reply to a post of Donald Trump.
    Nice edit btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I want to be shocked by this the frightening thing is im not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

ELM327 wrote:

I don't think they'd have to bother staging their own 'event', there's more than one a week so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only one of those laws which could pass without, at the least, major civil unrest in any state other than California is the last one. If you think the majority of Americans, even the mild-mannered ones, would accept the rest of those laws you don't know America.
    No, I wouldn't claim to "know" America, but that's kind of irrelevant. They can accept the laws or they can just watch their kids die. A country can't ask for solutions to a problem and then place conditions on the acceptance of those solutions. If you want a problem fixed, you're going to have to make sacrifices.

To a certain extent I don't really care anymore. These things are tragic but inevitable when you have a country that thrives on hate, division, money and violence.
    Anyone who would choose to raise a child in the United States needs their head examined.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't claim to "know" America, but that's kind of irrelevant. They can accept the laws or they can just watch their kids die. A country can't ask for solutions to a problem and then place conditions on the acceptance of those solutions. If you want a problem fixed, you're going to have to make sacrifices.

To a certain extent I don't really care anymore. These things are tragic but inevitable when you have a country that thrives on hate, division, money and violence.
    Anyone who would choose to raise a child in the United States needs their head examined.

You should tell them that, I'm sure it'll change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is there even a point starting these threads anymore? That country is a joke when it comes to these type of things and it will never change. Sandy Hook was the opportunity for change, they didn't take it and nothing that will happen in the future will be as bad as that.

Spot on. It doesn't really get worse than that and they done fook all about it so they're not going to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I think that the rest of the world just needs to accept that America as a society values its guns more than its kids. All that the rest of us can do is leave them to it.

RustyNut wrote: »
    I think that the rest of the world just needs to accept that America as a society values its guns more than its kids. All that the rest of us can do is leave them to it.

I'm not sure I'd put it like that (there's a historical connection in the American psyche between "freedom" and guns, so they would probably say something like "we value freedom more than our lives" or some such), but effectively you are correct. The rest of the world can continue to say they should do this, that, or the other, but it won't make any difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You know what, **** em, I'd rather a few gun nuts getting shot than more innocent kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

" Hoo Rah " ....

:rolleyes: Biggest gunner survives - USA = Call of Duty- Live Version

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Gravelly wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd put it like that (there's a historical connection in the American psyche between "freedom" and guns, so they would probably say something like "we value freedom more than our lives" or some such), but effectively you are correct. The rest of the world can continue to say they should do this, that, or the other, but it won't make any difference.

Whether you would wish to put it like that or not seems moot as it certainly appears that way. After Sandy hook there was a spike in the sales of guns similar to what was used as people thought that type of gun would be banned. 26 dead children was at the back of their minds.

You know what, **** em, I'd rather a few gun nuts getting shot than more innocent kids.

I doubt the only ones getting shot would be the shadowy "gun nuts" who are to blame for all this.

I'd prefer that nobody gets shot, but it'll take more than gung-ho European keyboard warriors for America to get there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

rgodard80a wrote: »
    It's in their constitution to bear arms.
    However if you could absolutely lock down the supply of ammo, it might be a workaround.

My freedoms :rolleyes:

Gravelly wrote:
    I'd prefer that nobody gets shot, but it'll take more than gung-ho European keyboard warriors for America to get there unfortunately.

There appears to be no appetite in America to stop the slaughter, so until next time which may already have happened. Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I doubt the only ones getting shot would be the shadowy "gun nuts" who are to blame for all this.

Go for the gun nuts first and then maybe the rest of the country will wake up and realise how insane the whole thing is, that standard checks the rest of the civilised world has adopted aren't worth a civil war.

Otherwise it's just wait until the next massacre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I can't figure out if you're being really cynical, genuinely concerned, a pro gun nut or trolling. :D:mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    There appears to be no appetite in America to stop the slaughter, so until next time which may already have happened. Take care.

It will take a high profile politicians kid to get killed sadly to fix their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Don't worry the political powers in the US will come up with some solutions that runs against all logic and involves more guns rather than gun legislation because they're owned outright by the gun lobby.

As sad as these events are, it's incredible that a country can be so shortsighted that it will just allow a cycle of horrible gun violence without any attempt to deal with it because they're dogmatically wedded to an ideology that puts the freedom to shoot stuff ahead of the freedom to not be shot.

I have actually given up paying attention to them as there's nothing you can do. You know that the response will be either handwringing or some utterly insane proposal to arm teachers. So, I don't really see what the point is. American politics is bonkers and this will just keep going on and on and on.

I can't figure out if you're being really cynical, genuinely concerned, a pro gun nut or trolling. :D:mad::confused:

What would you possibly think I'm trolling? Or a gun nut? This is typical of the reaction to gun violence by non-Americans - "oh they should ban guns and then everything will be ok"
    When one tries to inject a little reality into the discussion, one is automatically either a troll or a gun nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RIP

Hopefully its not too many kids killed.

Steady on, no fatalities announced. This is the 17th school shooting this year in the US apparently. Only last week in that very school, students staged a walk-out in protest of gun violence on campuses and just few days later it gets shot up. Bloody mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is there even a point starting these threads anymore?

You're probably right, just make a sticky. At this point it's just the exact same over and back arguments being made. I don't recall the last school shooting that actually shocked me. From memory it's Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech, everything else just blends into one ball of meh, which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:rolleyes:

So, American's don't value the life of kids eh?

It is possible to own firearms and still value the life of a child. They aren't mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

300,000,000 + guns out there. It'd be more than a few gun nuts getting shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Copy Cat killings. It's the notoriety that the gunmen gets that attracts repeats

Advertisement