Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volta a Catalunya 2018

Options
  • 19-03-2018 12:15pm

This one is starting today, coverage from 14:45 on Eurosport.

No time trial this year and it will have back to back summit finishes during the week.

Stage 1 (153km) profile:

13_2018_1.jpg

Hard to look passed Movistar and the on form Valverde for this, backed by Quintana and the Paris Nice winner Marc Soler who has finished 3rd here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Agree it’s hard to look past Valverde; but will be interesting to see how Dan is going. He won this in 2013 and podiumed a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Sam just pipped at the line. Nice viewing for a bank holiday while catching up on my ironing

Shake of the head on the line, he went and then looked like he knocked it off and tried to go again but hadn't the road to do it. Haven't seen the replay I'd need to see it again.

Is Uran here? The intro showed him along with other favourites but don't see his name on the start list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Uran withdrew @ the last minute.

Good job done at the level crossing earlier in the stage today. No one allowed to jump through. Mass wee breaks ensued so that part of spain is bound to stink now :D

• Advertisement

Stage ran way over the expected time today, no sign of Sam at the end McCarthy took up the sprint in his place. Valverde won the sprint and is now in the leaders jersey with some handy bonus seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-garderen-guardedly-upbeat-about-his-chances-in-volta-a-catalunya/

What is even the point of this article? TJ has not, will not, and cannot do anything results wise other than crash or get dropped. That's all that ever happens. Why even talk about anything else. Sure, positive mental attitude and all that but step back TJ and see the wood from the trees.

Talk about TJ doing something in races is to me like Carlton Kirby is to most others!

Edit: I should say that I mean as a GC contender rather than stage winner. That's what he is continually being pushed as but when push comes to shove at the top end of things in the big races he can't hack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Third in the Volta ao Algarve this year wasn't a bad result, I still think he has a 1 week race in him!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-garderen-guardedly-upbeat-about-his-chances-in-volta-a-catalunya/

What is even the point of this article? TJ has not, will not, and cannot do anything results wise other than crash or get dropped. That's all that ever happens. Why even talk about anything else. Sure, positive mental attitude and all that but step back TJ and see the wood from the trees.

Talk about TJ doing something in races is to me like Carlton Kirby is to most others!

Edit: I should say that I mean as a GC contender rather than stage winner. That's what he is continually being pushed as but when push comes to shove at the top end of things in the big races he can't hack it.

Seems from Nico's diary BMC might pay for cutting back on the team size this year ...I think they have one of the smallest teams on the WT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

A one week race contender, maybe. A GT contender most certainly not.

Stage shortened today by about 40k and a few of the climbs axed due to risk of avalanche

Oh chapeau
    De Gendt
    . What an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Oh chapeau
    De Gendt
    . What an effort.

Given its a stage race, with one thread and highlights available each evening, spoilers covers on the results would be best.....

What happened to Dan ? He was there just before the tunnel the group he was with came out without him (or was it a new group that formed in the tunnel ?)

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Given its a stage race, with one thread and highlights available each evening, spoilers covers on the results would be best.....

What happened to Dan ? He was there just before the tunnel the group he was with came out without him (or was it a new group that formed in the tunnel ?)

Edited: that thought I'd hit the tag button there :o

Looked to be all hell breaking loose in the tunnel from the delayed shots.

Enjoyed that today, coverage picked with with 35 to go so the racing was well and truly on. Faster pace compared to the last few days which ran over buy nearly an hour.
    Valverde looked in great shape again but it was the team work with Soler and Quintana that looked even better. Dare I say Quintana is looking in much better form than what I saw of him last year.

Today was good racing except for Valverde wining...that was not real

Surprised about Dan Martin ??

And Aru was so far down it looks strange

Didn't hear Aru get mentioned at all this week that I recall. Over 12 minutes down today so sickness or really hasn't hit form yet.

Latour had some fight in him to try and get back on a few times and take 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Dan hasn't looked great this year and its worrying considering he's up against riders you would be expecting him to beat in the Tour, Latour,Bennett and Hugh Carthy.
    Hopefully he turns it around

• Advertisement

Eurosport joined the race today with about 17km to go 5 of which was through a tunnel. Though I'm not sure thats their fault more when the race organisers set times for TV I think and terrible coverage of the leading pair at the end.

Mohoric thinking he's won was funny :D

I see Philip Deignan has a DNF no idea why but he was a fair distance back yesterday. Not a man I hear a lot about at all these days. Had a fair few DNFs last year and didn't feature much in the major races, Giro I think and Dauphine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Sam survived today and with Hedag and Bouhanni out of the race, he may fancy his chances tomorrow if Bora can control the breakaway and ensure a sprint finish. Nothing worse than a 2nd CAT and most of the climbing is in the first half of the stage.
    volta-a-catalunya-2018-stage-6-profile-afc98d81f9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Eurosport joined the race today with about 17km to go 5 of which was through a tunnel. Though I'm not sure thats their fault more when the race organisers set times for TV I think and terrible coverage of the leading pair at the end.

Mohoric thinking he's won was funny :D

I see Philip Deignan has a DNF no idea why but he was a fair distance back yesterday. Not a man I hear a lot about at all these days. Had a fair few DNFs last year and didn't feature much in the major races, Giro I think and Dauphine?

His other half announced she was preggers last week so the focus on hard riding may have been elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

You'd nearly forget about deignan and think we only had 3 pro riders. Surprised he's lasted so long at sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

neris wrote: »
    You'd nearly forget about deignan and think we only had 3 pro riders. Surprised he's lasted so long at sky.

He does a good job for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

neris wrote: »

I think Roche & Martin will be annoyed you forgot about them too 😉

Irish cyclists riding for pro teams in 2018
    World Tour
    Nicolas Roche BMC Racing
    Sam Bennett Bora-hansgrohe
    Philip Deignan Team Sky
    Dan Martin UAE Team Emirates
    Ryan Mullen Trek-Segafredo

Pro Continental
    Conor Dunne Aqua Blue Sport
    Stephen Clancy Novo Nordisk
    Eddie Dunbar Aqua Blue Sport
    Matt Brammeier Aqua Blue Sport

Continental
    Cormac Mcgeough Jelly Belly Maxxis
    Ben Walsh Vitus Pro Cycling
    Bryan McCrystal Holdsworth
    Matt Teggart Team Wiggins
    Robert Jon McCarthy JLT-Condor
    Sean McKenna Holdsworth
    Michael O’Loughlin Team Wiggins
    Conn McDunphy Holdsworth
    Mark Downey Team Wiggins
    Dermot Trulock Holdsworth
    Damien Shaw Holdsworth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think Roche & Martin will be annoyed you forgot about them too ��

Irish cyclists riding for pro teams in 2018
    World Tour
    Nicolas Roche BMC Racing
    Sam Bennett Bora-hansgrohe
    Philip Deignan Team Sky
    Dan Martin UAE Team Emirates
    Ryan Mullen Trek-Segafredo

Pro Continental
    Conor Dunne Aqua Blue Sport
    Stephen Clancy Novo Nordisk
    Eddie Dunbar Aqua Blue Sport
    Matt Brammeier Aqua Blue Sport

Continental
    Cormac Mcgeough Jelly Belly Maxxis
    Ben Walsh Vitus Pro Cycling
    Bryan McCrystal Holdsworth
    Matt Teggart Team Wiggins
    Robert Jon McCarthy JLT-Condor
    Sean McKenna Holdsworth
    Michael O’Loughlin Team Wiggins
    Conn McDunphy Holdsworth
    Mark Downey Team Wiggins
    Dermot Trulock Holdsworth
    Damien Shaw Holdsworth

I just saw that now on sticky bottle and was coming onto correct myself. Whoops.

Looks like a miserable day for a bike race there in spain today. Bora on the front leading the chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Missed opportunity for Sam, Bora and Michelton Scott underestimated and could not control the two breakaway riders and Sam finishes best of rest in 3rd

• Advertisement

Maybe its the weather or maybe its something esle but feel this race is lack lustre
    Must be the dominance of Valverde

Also in both Paris Nice & Catalunya we have seen alot of the usual suspects missing in action

Take Catalunya ...Looking at the startlist before the race you'd expect Dan Martin.Aru,Pinot Barguil, Chaves, Henao, TJ , etc in the top 10...where are they ?

Same with Paris Nice...so many favourites no where to be seen

Advertisement