Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Club - age regulations for girls

Options
  • 19-03-2018 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

My children play in a club where girls play both disciplines with the boys. I’ve been told there is a rule somewhere that girls can play with their previous age group. So a girl who has turned 8 pre Jan 1st could still play with u8’s. Does anyone know if there is such a rule? My little one is 8 but is nowhere ready to move to u10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

ab4248 wrote: »
    My children play in a club where girls play both disciplines with the boys. I’ve been told there is a rule somewhere that girls can play with their previous age group. So a girl who has turned 8 pre Jan 1st could still play with u8’s. Does anyone know if there is such a rule? My little one is 8 but is nowhere ready to move to u10.

Hi, i know thats not possible in Dublin during go games . We have done it in friendlies if numbers were low , but it would be at the discretion of the opposition manager. I can understand the dilemma especially where there is a 2 year gap . In our club , we have u8,9,10 so it's fine , but while.it is a big jump , it will stand to her next year when she is still u10 , but already has the experience at that level. Just try to stick with it as it's also.important to build a team where they know each other and have played together from.an early age rather than hop from team to team. At that age group there should be a place for everyone regardless of level and the coach should be making sure all.are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Hi, i know thats not possible in Dublin during go games . We have done it in friendlies if numbers were low , but it would be at the discretion of the opposition manager. I can understand the dilemma especially where there is a 2 year gap . In our club , we have u8,9,10 so it's fine , but while.it is a big jump , it will stand to her next year when she is still u10 , but already has the experience at that level. Just try to stick with it as it's also.important to build a team where they know each other and have played together from.an early age rather than hop from team to team. At that age group there should be a place for everyone regardless of level and the coach should be making sure all.are included.

One more thing to mention is that in my club we found splitting boys from girls earlier (from u8)helped with keeping girls playing and attracting new girls to the game as often they left because they weren't strong enough to compete with the boys and some who were on the verge of leaving altogether became the stars of the girls.team due to having an amount of physical ity from playing with boys early on.
    If possible see if there is a chance of an u9/10 girls only team . We split at u8 and went from 12 to 25 players in 12 months as word got around through school friends etc..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My local clubs has the boys and girls split from the very beginning, IMO it's a terrible move because girls have to play more to play (football and camoige vs just GAA) and as the girls seem to always get the second choice when it comes to times, I know of 2 families that go to another club because the time of the training doesn't suit on a Saturday because of swimming/dancing/gymnastics/parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Silly question, our club has 6 girls at under 8 so they are in with the boys, can the girls play mixed with their club and also play on a girls only team at another club?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The cut off date is Jan 1st, and players in both gaa and Lgfa must play accordingly.

8 on 31st December, has to play u10 the comming year.
    8 on 1st January, has to play U8 the comming year.

There's no playing down an age group for girls.

We run U10 upwards girls only teams. I think it's good for girls to play up to U8 with boys, but U10 boys onwards can be too competitive and rough for girls imo. Also the boys can get very big, not necessarily in the club but opposing clubs and they won't hold back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement