Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young people afraid to make calls??

Options
  • 17-03-2018 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I’m in my mid 30’s. I work in a busy environment which involves dealing with lots of different people every day.

I work with a few guys in their early 20s who seem absolutely terrified to make bloody phone calls! Sometimes to the point that I’d ask if they heard back from the particular person I asked him to call yesterday and they either didn’t ring at all (hoping it will all go away) or sent an email in order to avoid the call..

Is this the effect of the social media generation? Simply lacking important communication skills?

I thought it was just me, but a lot of guys I know in similar practices are having the same problem with younger graduates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

I’m in my mid 30’s. I work in a busy environment which involves dealing with lots of different people every day.

I work with a few guys in their early 20s who seem absolutely terrified to make bloody phone calls! Sometimes to the point that I’d ask if they heard back from the particular person I asked him to call yesterday and they either didn’t ring at all (hoping it will all go away) or sent an email in order to avoid the call..

Is this the effect of the social media generation? Simply lacking important communication skills?

I thought it was just me, but a lot of guys I know in similar practices are having the same problem with younger graduates.

Did you ask them, or just ask random people on the internet to avoid the conversation? :pac:

I think it was always a problem with young workers but yes it is probably getting worse.

Starting out you probably aren't as confident and don't know what to say if something doesn't go according to the script. That goes away with experience and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If it's in any way IT related I've found they do not even want a phone on their desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

It's lack of confidence with real live people. Bunch of new starts where I work. Some of them don't make eye contact and one guy almost jumped into the wall when I said hello to him (I'm not that scary... honestly).

And don't get me started on the mammies ringing up on their behalf to confirm attendance for interview :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

What's the nature of the calls? I make and receive 10-15 calls on a given day so am well used to it myself.

However Sales calls, for example, can be daunting for many. There is a strong likelihood of rejection and even complete dismissal.
    The idea of speaking to a higher level contact can be off putting too for younger inexperienced workers.

Personally if it can be done via email, i prefer to email. If I could get rid of my work phone I would as all I receive are a plethora of sales calls (i work in marketing) offering ad space, event tickets etc.

The only time I really need to call is if I'm doing a weekly catch up with contractors and need specific information off them. Email covers most things in this day and age and is less time consuming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

A lot of this reticence relates to the very real prospect of being recorded. The information can be disseminated and used against the caller or recipient of the call. Solicitors and Barristers are slippery as fcuk anyway. The best bet nowadays is to use email in small doses and discuss issues in person. That way you can kick to touch and escalate to your boss to fob off responsibility.

shar01 wrote: »
    It's lack of confidence with real live people. Bunch of new starts where I work. Some of them don't make eye contact and one guy almost jumped into the wall when I said hello to him (I'm not that scary... honestly).

Settling into a new work environment can be very daunting for some. Particularly if they've never done a real "9 to 5" before. once they settle in I'm sure they'll be fine

We had two team members last year, one fairly introverted but always got his work done - and to a great standard, the other a real loud mouth - loved nothing more than walking around the office bouncing ideas around and attending meetings, when his actual output was absolutely minimal at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I wonder does anti-social media have anything to do with this? Is it inducing some form of complex behavioural issues into our societies, maybe some form of autism, or something that resembles some form of autism?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of this reticence relates to the very real prospect of being recorded. The information can be disseminated and used against the caller or recipient of the call. Solicitors and Barristers are slippery as fcuk anyway. The best bet nowadays is to use email in small doses and discuss issues in person. That way you can kick to touch and escalate to your boss to fob off responsibility.

So someone afraid of having a record of a conversation sends an email instead which is a record of what they want to say:confused::confused: If you are afraid of saying something on the phone and being recorded you can be recorded when talking to the person so should have the same issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wanderer78 wrote:
    I wonder does anti-social media have anything to do with this? Is it inducing some form of complex behavioural issues into our societies, maybe some form of autism, or something that resembles some form of autism?

I'm autistic and the OP sounds quite like me. I'm 50 so older than his co workers. I can receive a call from clients easily enough but it's very difficult to me to make a call.

My son is autistic and can't talk to strangers at all on the phone. Even to family and friends he is restricted to yes and no & answers on the phone.

jr86 wrote: »
    Settling into a new work environment can be very daunting for some. Particularly if they've never done a real "9 to 5" before. once they settle in I'm sure they'll be fine

Totally agree. For some it's their first "proper" job. But to ignore a "hello" or "how's it going" speaks to me of lack of confidence.

I wonder is it a hangover from the recession - fewer young people were able to get jobs in the summer holidays and missed out on the life skills that come with stacking shelves and working on a check-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I agree with OP. Modern day workers have almost a fear or phobia towards making calls but it’s part of a bigger issue of people no longer being able to deal with conflict and (on a grander scale) being unable to cope with the unexpected or as they call it “ adulting”.

As a manager I’ve implemented a strict “if you are sick, you have to call” policy ie no texting or emailing, and the sick leave has plummeted.

I’m slowly trying to educate them in dealing with conflict and growing a thicker skin but it’s baffling. I genuinely had someone ask me yesterday if I could not tell them about all the mistakes they make and instead could focus on the good things they do as they needed the validation. I’m all for a happy balance but WHAT?!?

jr86 wrote: »

We had two team members last year, one fairly introverted but always got his work done - and to a great standard, the other a real loud mouth - loved nothing more than walking around the office bouncing ideas around and attending meetings, when his actual output was absolutely minimal at the end of the day.

The second guy sounds like he'll end up in management, already showing most of the qualities of a team manager.

I think it depends on the industry your in and how much training their given. In IT myself and I've known some who can handle people shouting at them down the phone because an issue hasn't been resolved yet and others who will just use mail to avoid being shouted at.
    I've seen people with the deer in the headlights look on their faces when asked to handle an issue for an area that they haven't been given any training in and to go on a call right now with a customer, it's probably been on mine a few times too. I try to tell them to just get as much information as they can from the customer and explain that they need to check up on the issue and that they will get back to them in x hours/days.

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I'm autistic and the OP sounds quite like me. I'm 50 so older than his co workers. I can receive a call from clients easily enough but it's very difficult to me to make a call.

Autistic myself, I'd have similar issues to yourself and your son, but I suspect social media might actually be strangely inducing autistic like traits into society

Batgurl wrote: »
    I agree with OP. Modern day workers have almost a fear or phobia towards making calls but it’s part of a bigger issue of people no longer being able to deal with conflict and (on a grander scale) being unable to cope with the unexpected or as they call it “ adulting”.

As a manager I’ve implemented a strict “if you are sick, you have to call” policy ie no texting or emailing, and the sick leave has plummeted.

I’m slowly trying to educate them in dealing with conflict and growing a thicker skin but it’s baffling. I genuinely had someone ask me yesterday if I could not tell them about all the mistakes they make and instead could focus on the good things they do as they needed the validation. I’m all for a happy balance but WHAT?!?

Did you keep a straight face? Say hello to my little friend - P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Del2005 wrote: »
    So someone afraid of having a record of a conversation sends an email instead which is a record of what they want to say:confused::confused: If you are afraid of saying something on the phone and being recorded you can be recorded when talking to the person so should have the same issues.

You have time to think when composing an email but not when you’re put on a be spot on the phone. You can always defer to the hierarchy if you don’t have confidence in your own opinion. You could be recorded in person but that would be unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Christ almighty! I would have probably burst out laughing!

I think some of it comes from never having to use the phone growing up. I had to ring my friends house as a kid and ask his mam if he was there! If you met a girl at the local disco she gave you her dad’s house number. Funny - but it taught us all invaluable communication skills.

The fact that these guys can’t make a call is worrying. As you correctly say also, and i see it myself on a daily basis, is the inability to deal with conflict and having a very thin skin! How we fix that I really don’t know. Are these guys the managing directors of tomorrow..? Worrying..

Batgurl wrote:

'Modern management theory', one possible explanation, a little ditty if you will. Was traveling in new Zealand few years ago, met a really nice Brazilian chap, we traveled together for a few days, sharing our experiences and life stories. On parting ways I asked, what next for you, his response has stuck with me ever since. He was doing a degree in business management, but his travels had made him realise, he was doing the wrong thing, he had decided to leave the course, his explanation, his course was suppose to teach him how to deal with people, but in fact he had realised it was actually about 'manipulating' them! Please be aware, this is not meant to be a personal attack, but maybe there's something wrong with modern management theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I have been working professionally for well over a decade now and I get why they hate making calls. I worked as a teenager and used the phone a lot, but it is very different.

They are young and inexperienced. I have been in the receiving end of calls like this. They have no idea what they are talking about, you know it, they know it. I think that you need to allow people to build up technical knowledge first before telling them to phone people.

In my old job, there was one manager who was always telling new starters to make calls. It was painful to listen to and it reflected really badly on the company. We got a lot of negative feedback because of it. Senior management had to step in eventually.

Once they get a bit of confidence and know what they are talking about, they will find it much easier to make calls. Email is better for some things and knowing when to use each form of communication is a huge learning curve! I know that some people that I deal with dread the phone ringing and others dread the inbox filling up, so they will not engage very well with the wrong form of communication. These are external clients and this knowledge took a long time to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m not crazy on making phone calls for work, and I’m well into my late 30s, working for many years. It’s just not my personal style.

I do make calls regularly, especially when I want to get a point across, as there’s nothing better than making personal contact. Or else when I know the other person will respond better to a phone call. Some people do really prefer that, so I’ll ring. But I’d often personally prefer an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

Lack of confidence and experience. Most will get over it, some will learn to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I believe it a mix of lack of confidence in young people in a new job , which can be perpetuated for years if they're not trained and supported , making and taking professional business calls is a particular skill which is honed through experience , but I do believe the generation of molly coddled -only -child millennials need a lot of work to improve their skills in this area .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd only call in an emergency or where clarification is needed quickly on something, calls take your focus away from what you're doing and most can be done with an email instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Some mentoring and training would help, perhaps. Get them listening in to how more experienced colleagues handle phone calls. Have someone they can refer to, if there is something they cannot answer. Most of them will be well able, in no time, with a bit of help now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    he had realised it was actually about 'manipulating' them!

Maybe it is about manipulating but I’d rather see everyone equipped with the skills to recognise and handle this than be suckers ripe for manipulating themselves.

Which I fear is what we will be left with if we continue to raise a generation of people who need constant validation and praise; the “instagram generation” who desperately crave the little red heart on their phone screen to feel needed.

If you want an example of how these people can be so easily preyed upon, look no further than Trumps success. He appealed to his audience by telling every single one of them that “they are right. They have been slighted. He will fix it for them.” He gave them the attention and validation they required and got to the most senior position in the US Govt as a result.

Standing on your own 2 feet, having an opinion, confidence in yourself and your ability are not flaws. And if we don’t equip people with these skills, we’re leaving them open to abuse from people with less than good intents.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The second guy sounds like he'll end up in management, already showing most of the qualities of a team manager.

Well, considering he's in his mid-late 50s he'd want to get a move on!

Everyone saw through him, he eventually ended up leaving and joining the Public Sector doing admin work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Cant say I have seen that. I know plenty of people 40s 50s and beyond who find talking on the phone very difficult. I find it tricky at times too. Its mild social anxiety and tonnes of people have it. It could hit you as well one day!

Also if they don't pick up the first time you're always conscious of when to call them back and when you do they might give a separate time to call, which is all just time consuming/distracting

Email is so much handier in that regard, they can respond whenever it suits them

At the same time some people are much more suited to calls than emails, some of the emails a member of our management team sends to clients are littered with typos and just look outright unprofessional. He would talk on the phone for Ireland though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ah here, grow a "thicker skin"? Who are you to change someone that way? Maybe they are great workers and get what they need done very reasonably. Anything else is a personality quirk and not up to you to "fix" or change. Take a look at yourself- you enforced a call only policy for sick pay-why, exactly? What difference do you see in someone texting or leaving a message compared with actually ringing you up to say they are sick?
    From your post it sounds like you would be a difficult person to work for.

Advertisement