Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda to Start Green Bin Charges

Options
  • 14-03-2018 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

So Panda to start charging for 'disposing' of Green Bin Recyclable Waste, watch now as the domino starts to fall within the bin cartel. They'll all be at it.

Bin services, should have never been allowed leave the councils hands. The biggest loser here is enviroment, people are just going to start throwing everything in one bin now, with a 'sure I am paying for all bins anyway'.

https://www.herald.ie/news/dublin-households-facing-extra-21ayear-for-green-bin-bills-36702997.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Since China closed it's door, this is a massive issue.
    The companies need to 'come clean' to say what they are doing to the waste - most likely, as you suggested, they are simply disposing it as they do the black bin contents.
    So, an extra 21 quid mightn't been so bad - if you stuff it into the black bin, wouldn't you pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TallGlass wrote: »
    Bin services, should have never been allowed leave the councils hands. The biggest loser here is enviroment,

Not because of the bin charge though, it's because we don't have the facilities to recycle all our own recyclable waste so are pretty much lumped with it now as we can't send it to China anymore. The initial prices seem like lose change anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not because of the bin charge though, it's because we don't have the facilities to recycle all our own recyclable waste so are pretty much lumped with it now as we can't send it to China anymore. The initial prices seem like lose change anyway.

Hummm, I am not really buying there excuse, 'China won't take it', recycling plant's are not some super/mega plant, look at some YouTube videos, there isn't really a reason we couldn't build our own here and if it's as bad as they say you'd make a fortune. What about send it to the UK, Mainland Europe, USA?

What type of sorting is going on here, is there any at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hummm, I am not really buying there excuse, 'China won't take it', recycling plant's are not some super/mega plant, look at some YouTube videos, there isn't really a reason we couldn't build our own here

But the point is we don't have any therefore completely open to the will of others.

I reckon there's only minimal sorting, one of China's issues was the poor material they were sent and it cost them to sort it further.

It's not just Ireland that is affected by this, it has become a worldwide issue and even the likes of Australia and the UK are now having problems with building waste mountains, some councils in Australia had already stopped collecting recyclable waste even before the China ban.

If our local councils collected that waste and not private companies we'd still have to pay more for it via increases in property taxes, or decreases in services elsewhere, to cover the costs.

This is one area in which the majority of papers will drum it up as private companies looking to rip off consumers, enabled and encouraged by the we won't pay crowd.

Prices for recyclable waste have dropped through the floor and if it's costing companies more to process it, while getting paid less, they may just stop collecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TallGlass wrote:
    Bin services, should have never been allowed leave the councils hands.

Is that because the councils never provided green bins? My bin operator is still cheaper and provides better service than the council ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Time we took some personal responsibility. Might make people think twice. Why the heck should they take our rubbish.

We need to introduce a deposit refund system anyway on All, Glass and plastic bottles. Same with cans. Our litter problem would reduce also by 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

'the polluter pays'!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So Panda to start charging for 'disposing' of Green Bin Recyclable Waste, watch now as the domino starts to fall within the bin cartel. They'll all be at it.

Bin services, should have never been allowed leave the councils hands. The biggest loser here is enviroment, people are just going to start throwing everything in one bin now, with a 'sure I am paying for all bins anyway'.

https://www.herald.ie/news/dublin-households-facing-extra-21ayear-for-green-bin-bills-36702997.html

Jesus Christ, the bins were collected for free by Panda for years, what more do you want.

As you well know, the decision by China to stop importing waste is causing headaches all over the world.

If you want to have a moan at something, direct it to China. Or those that would't keep the recyclables free of contamination in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've always had to pay to get recycling bins taken away 8 euro for a full wheelie bin

salonfire wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, the bins were collected for free by Panda for years, what more do you want.

As you well know, the decision by China to stop importing waste is causing headaches all over the world.

If you want to have a moan at something, direct it to China. Or those that would't keep the recyclables free of contamination in the first place.

Wow, a reply like that deserves one like it back...

Jesus, how dare they do what we pay them to do. If you cannot see why the council should have kept control over it you need to take a long hard look at the cartel operation that is running in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Has anyone heard if the Annual charge will be reduced, with the introduction of the charges. It was my understanding that the annual charge covered the brown and green bin lifts.

salonfire wrote: »

the bins in fact have not been collected for free, as the word 'free', particularly during the neoliberial age actually is Orwellian, in certain contexts, i.e. free in some cases means not free at all. in this context, the charge for collecting the 'free' green bin was in fact placed on the collection of the other bins, i.e. black and brown, depending on the service.

our waste issues are far more complicated that what those 'pesky' Chinese are up to, and the lack of individual participation. another fairly common reaction to the failure of neoliberial ideology, i.e. when it fails, blame the individual, or even another race, rather than questioning the systemic failures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

City Bin at it too, I just got an email that they are increasing my monthly cost by 1.90 due to the increased cost of recycling . However, they assurred me in the email that my green bin will continue to be collect for free, well apart from the 1.90 per month they are going to start charging.... Im not sure they realised what they were actually typing into the email.

Also only giving 2 weeks notice of a price increase is piss poor customer service.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

City Bin at it too, I just got an email that they are increasing my monthly cost by 1.90 due to the increased cost of recycling . However, they assurred me in the email that my green bin will continue to be collect for free, well apart from the 1.90 per month they are going to start charging.... Im not sure they realised what they were actually typing into the email.

Ah yes, the new age, new definition of 'free'! I've had enough of this neoliberial 'rubbish'!

As mentioned. City Bin Co joining in now the dominos are falling.

Government have now created a cluster fùck of a situation.

There are charges which are ment to cover this already on the bins. Watch now as pay by weight is used as a scape goat to rally up prices.

I actually emailed them about getting another green bin but they wanted an extra 5er a month. (Bit strange they mention they want more recycling in the email, yet charge you more once less is now going to landfill).

The next question I have is. If I am paying for this now, why can't I put other recycling stuff in, like glass and I want the ability to recycle light plastics.

Where is our minister to comment on this situation? I have seen anything from the minister about this.

As mentioned. City Bin Co joining in now the dominos are falling.

Government have now created a cluster fùck of a situation.

There are charges which are ment to cover this already on the bins. Watch now as pay by weight is used as a scape goat to rally up prices.

I actually emailed them about getting another green bin but they wanted an extra 5er a month. (Bit strange they mention they want more recycling in the email, yet charge you more once less is now going to landfill).

The next question I have is. If I am paying for this now, why can't I put other recycling stuff in, like glass and I want the ability to recycle light plastics.

Where is our minister to comment on this situation? I have seen anything from the minister about this.

'rent extraction', interesting term!

Paul Murphy et al are keeping very quiet about this outrage. Has Joe Duffy whipped da peeple up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I thought Panda were to start charging for the green bin this week? Bin was lifted as normal but no charges on mypanda yet.
    The weight of the black bin is still not listed on the site. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I thought Panda were to start charging for the green bin this week? Bin was lifted as normal but no charges on mypanda yet.
    The weight of the black bin is still not listed on the site. :rolleyes:

Green bin isn't being collected til next week for me. Is it the same with all panda customers? The charges are to start 19th April.

It's website really is dreadful, there's no useful info on it!

Thanks for that. I didn't see any start date but found it eventually. Looks like it is from the 19th alright.

The website used to have the weights of each bin listed. That was perhaps 1-2 years ago. Didn't last long and the weights were removed for no apparent reason. I queried it with Panda and they said they were updating the website and the weights should be back soon. That was over a year ago now and the website is exactly the same. I am not sure what game they are playing by not displaying the weights.

I would imagine that when they start charging by weight, they will have to detail the weight on the website or invoices surely?

Edit: you can ring Panda and they will give you the weights over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoulM

One solution is to make money out of rubbish.

If the politicians could agree on a recycling policy where all manufacturers have to use recycleable standardised wrapping/packaging, and consumer have to pay a fee, then litter from the streets would disappear.

If you charge 20 cents for a bottle, and you get 20 cents bakc when you return the bottle, kids and homeless and others would collect rubbish from the streets. That could apply to cans and tins, computers. There are items that are difficult to recycle, but 90 % of a product and 100 % of the wrapping can be recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thortons have joined in too.

From the 1st of May 2018, we will be introducing a €1 charge
    for each recycling bin collection with no charge per kg

From January 2018 China has dramatically reduced the importation of recyclable commodities such as those found in your recycling bin to encourage local recycling markets in China. Due to limited demand from alternative markets this has substantially increased the cost of processing your recycling bin.

Far cheaper than Panda at 80 cent / lift and 4.5 cent / kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Patww79 wrote: »
    I already caught the next door neighbour sneaking some stuff into ours today a few times, as the bins were left out for collection.

Get gravity locks, they are about €30 each but work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah it's a little unit that keeps the lid locked unltil it gets turned upside down. You have a key to open it. Greyhound have them for €45 each but last time I looked they were available cheaper elsewhere.

Advertisement