Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Status of the 55m Luas trams

Options
  • 13-03-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What is the current (13/03/2018) status of the 55m trams?

I have yet to see see one actually running and according to the Luas website a second started service almost a month ago. (https://luas.ie/luas-serviceupdate-feb2018/)

After the initial FUBAR in front of the press. Are they running a full normal standard service, just making the odd off peak appearance or not running at all?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The first day issue was caused by a taxi blocking the tram, nothing else. They're in peak time service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

L1011 wrote: »
    The first day issue was caused by a taxi blocking the tram, nothing else. They're in peak time service

Just when you thought it could'nt possibly be true.....:D

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/watch-just-when-you-thought-a-double-length-luas-was-bad-heres-a-luas-being-towed-by-a-double-length-luas-36699911.html#play

Triple decker sandwich ?? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

I did see one on Harcourt Street this afternoon but it was on a test run and i also saw another one sitting in the Sandyford depot today but did not see on in service today.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

The state of the Luas service is absolutely shocking. The queues and timings have been utterly dire. But you know what has been impeccable and consistent? "Revenue protection".

Never thought id see such a shower of kunts til these guys. Not a trace of humanity amongst them. I'm okay with my season ticket but the way they have treated people is completely objectionable and without discretion..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The state of the Luas service is absolutely shocking. The queues and timings have been utterly dire. But you know what has been impeccable and consistent? "Revenue protection".

Never thought id see such a shower of kunts til these guys. Not a trace of humanity amongst them. I'm okay with my season ticket but the way they have treated people is completely objectionable and without discretion..

Well if they paid like others there would be no problem. Should they say "its alright don't worry"......your season ticket increases because of people who don't pay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well if they paid like others there would be no problem. Should they say "its alright don't worry"......your season ticket increases because of people who don't pay!

They should say nothing til they provide a reliable service...especially past sandyford. The idea of a light tram every so often in rush hour us a fcking joke. Makes us a laughing stock.

And I don't remember saying no one should pay. But I do think its objectionable when they see someone run for the luas, think they've tagged on and hop on.. When it turns out they haven't they take them, rather than letting tag on at next stop.

Or taking the young lad with his mates who didn't have his student card with him....even though he clearly was a student as were all his mates.

Or the tourists who were a zone out on their fares.

The list goes on. They are not nice people and are terrible ambassadors.

Though it amuses me how some decide to give the last carriage a miss when there are some rough looking scrotes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

AlekSmart wrote: »

That piece reinforces my view that the Indo hates public transport and anything approaching decent investment in it.

They should say nothing til they provide a reliable service...especially past sandyford. The idea of a light tram every so often in rush hour us a fcking joke. Makes us a laughing stock.

And I don't remember saying no one should pay. But I do think its objectionable when they see someone run for the luas, think they've tagged on and hop on.. When it turns out they haven't they take them, rather than letting tag on at next stop.

Or taking the young lad with his mates who didn't have his student card with him....even though he clearly was a student as were all his mates.

Or the tourists who were a zone out on their fares.

The list goes on. They are not nice people and are terrible ambassadors.

Though it amuses me how some decide to give the last carriage a miss when there are some rough looking scrotes..

You adopt a single policy not one that suits everybody's needs. The obligation is on the customer to comply with all rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You adopt a single policy not one that suits everybody's needs. The obligation is on the customer to comply with all rules.

And surely they have the right to appeal. No point arguing with revenue protection. If only they were as active on Dublin Bus and other transport.

That piece reinforces my view that the Indo hates public transport and anything approaching decent investment in it.

Really ?

Why ?

Did it not actually occur....?

Is it of some interest to observers of the current situation ?

It is a video clip,of a factual occurrence,with no accompanying editorial comment,save for a pithy (and not innacurate )header.

One question which the clip does raise,is which of the Trams is disabled...the New lengthened 5027,or the older 5007 ?

Would it be preferable if,for example,the BBC World Service had gotten to the clip firat ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Tow

As I expected, they were not being run during rush hour.

Summary:

"Longer Luas trams withdrawn due to fault in system."

“Every effort is being made to identify what that fault is and to bring those back into service,” NTA chief executive Anne Graham said on Friday.

"Ms Graham said she expected the longer trams would return to full service in May"

How can you have a "Fault in the System", not know what it is, but be able to give fix date? Do they expect O'Connell Bridge grow in length by 5 meters in two months time?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »

Summary:

“Every effort is being made to identify what that fault is and to bring those back into service,” NTA chief executive Anne Graham said on Friday.

"Ms Graham said she expected the longer trams would return to full service in May"

How can you have a "Fault in the System", not know what it is, but be able to give fix date? Do they expect O'Connell Bridge grow in length by 5 meters in two months time?

It is now apparent that there are significant issues with the Cross-City Project which have yet to become public.

I would be unsurprised if,over the long weekend,the shredders in Dún Scéine,Civic Offices and the Red Cow do not become white-hot from overuse.

Given the current,and what we now now,well flagged and questioned situation in Dublin City Centre,the reality of people demanding answers from previously low key and reticent backroom staff is upon them.

The primary purpose in the short-term,will be to limit the damage in PR terms,whilst preserving the credibility of the higher levels of management who presided over and directed the Cross City Project into the siding it currently occupies.

Perhaps,at this point,some form of truce is required,as the actual damage in real terms is largely done and unrepairable in economic terms.

What would be of some assistance in moving things forward,is the resignation of several of the individuals who occupied the responsible positions over the past decade,and their replacement with foreign management of externally proven capabilities.

What is now largely uncontestable,is that our own Senior Managerial figures across the disciplines have not performed their duties to any acceptable professional standards,but are rather incredibly immune from any calling-to-account for this.

This fiasco has long passed the point where it can be rescued by a Terry Prone style PR blitz.....;)

My personal preference would be the arrival of an EU imposed "Troika" figure such as Manuel Melis...Micheal O Leary...or ANYBODY not connected with the individuals and groups who have presided over this project.

Summary:

The choice of wording is interesting....

Is it a fault in the Tram as delivered ?

Is it a fault in the Luas system on which the new Tram operates ?

This has all the appearances of an issue which will see LUAS requiring a new Depot AT The Four Courts.

Good job it's being announced at a Long Weekend......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

They were absolutely being run during rush hour. 5028 broke down on O'Connell street at approximately 5:45, 5027 broke down at Dundrum the next day at around 6:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm just waiting for the same stupid f**ckers responsible for this, to do a repeat job on NMN! 60m platforms, the works! I really think no Irish involvement would be best (hundreds of fools, millions of euro, endless talking, no or **** results) let the Germans, Spanish or Japanese etc design and build it!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the same stupid f**ckers responsible for this, to do a repeat job on NMN! 60m platforms, the works! I really think no Irish involvement would be best (hundreds of fools, millions of euro, endless talking, no or **** results) let the Germans, Spanish or Japanese etc design and build it!

100% Agree on this.

The problem we now face is that our current cast of actors will be promoted and thereby allowed far greater reign over even larger projects.

It is imperative,at this point,to prevent these people from progressing further until they can be subject to some form of special re-assessment in their respective disciplines.

This re-assessment should be carried out by outside compliance specialization agencies and it needs to be carried out ASAP.

The danger now,is that the Ireland 2040 Project,with it's vast amount of funding will be placed in the hands of,what we now KNOW are highly suspect individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

This has all the appearances of an issue which will see LUAS requiring a new Depot AT The Four Courts.

Good job it's being announced at a Long Weekend......;)

Anne Graham was speaking on the radio and she said it's a fault with the new trams.

No doubt a fault which has only cropped up as a result of the two 55m tram failures and probably a software/manufacturer issue, no doubt Alstom has provided the we will fix it by date.

GM228 wrote: »
    Anne Graham was speaking on the radio and she said it's a fault with the new trams.

No doubt a fault which has only cropped up as a result of the two 55m tram failures and probably a software/manufacturer issue, no doubt Alstom has provided the we will fix it by date.

Phew sez Anne....thank God for the oul Warranty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Tow

I read 'The System' is not the tram its self, but the within the whole system.

There are many other areas within 'The System', such as :
    The ability stop traffic on both sides of bridges at the same time.
    The ability to deliver enough electrical power for more power hungry trams, which is why they have two Pantographs in the first place.

BTW, There will be no one taken to account for their mistakes, this is a the public sector project.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

As stated previously this is the longest ever built version of the tram model family built exclusively for Dublin. So it's no surprise there will be more issues with it than previous tried and tested versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

One question which the clip does raise,is which of the Trams is disabled...the New lengthened 5027,or the older 5007 ?

5028 (not 5027) failed and 5007 was assisting.

The following day 5027 also failed in Dundrum and was assisted by 5013 in the same way with 5027 leading the consist back to the depot.

There was another apparent failure the following day, no detail on what tram involved at Sillorgan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The above comments about brining in foreign expertise, I don't see how that would help.

If you are talking about the breakdowns, well those trams were designed and built by a foreign company and are operated by a foreign company.

And in fairness to both Alstom and Transdev, until now, they have both built and operated Luas rock solidly. As others have said above, most likely the bugs that come with the first of any new system.

If you are talking about the mess of College Green, well foreign management expertise would simply face the same local issues of the car park owners, taxi drivers, city councillors, planning process, legal system, etc.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to fix that is by fixing our entire planning and legal system to better handle these sort of massive infrastructure developments. See the Apple Datacenter as another example.

I think overall, we are still feeling the effects of the recession. The problems with Luas are most likely because we are trying to squeeze too much out of the system, when had it not been for the recession we would have Metro North by now and well on our way to DU, which would have both handled this pressure much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

bk wrote: »
    If you are talking about the mess of College Green, well foreign management expertise would simply face the same local issues of the car park owners, taxi drivers, city councillors, planning process, legal system, etc.
    Agreed. Someone decided it was fine to launch LUAS before capacity was in place, and that can only have been a political decision.

There's a reason project managers are employed, so that issues like capacity and testing is given appropriate time within a project plan.

I think it's unfair to be dragging in the operator or even Alstom to explain what is going on, they were the ones thrown a hospital pass. I find criticism from DCC councillors to be very self-serving. It seems no-one was willing to stand up and say "stop".

Now of course we're in an awful mess. The Green Line in particular is arguably non-functional, and it will be at least May before it is sorted. The Minister should be doing his job and getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

howiya wrote: »

Hopefully they wont end up like the DART 8200 class an expensive waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Too many chiefs not enough Indians.

All these decision-makers are just public representatives with zero experience, vision and completely clueless in regards to transport planning. Imagine what it would be like if the Ellis Quay cycle lane was thrown into the mix as well.

This is only the start of these problems it will be at least 5 -7 years before traffic problems will be resolved. A few extra buses and a Metro between the city and airport won't fix Dublin's problems. These projects were needed 15 years ago, the population will grow rapidly over the next 10 years. Regardless of the city centre problems one area of improvement I'd expected to see would of been a reduction of congestion around the Cabra area but that to seems to of gotten worse since the introduction of Luas.

NTA aren't experts and are just as useless as the rest of them. Some people may laugh at the idea of asking some of our current transport providers/operators such as Irish Rail, who have teams of experts in rail operations, for advice or consulting with them on how to implement new projects or if they might forsee any issues. They would have a lot more knowledge and experience than the likes of Anne Graham, DCC and Shane Ross. Local knowledge is much more important than a fancy forgien expert and I believe the Bus Connects project is another disaster coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

What about using 55m Luas trams during rush hours but terminate on Stephens Green / Dominick, same way as planned tomorrow for Paddy's Day? Most people travel just to city centre, and the others can walk or take short Luas instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

So they've scrapped them, unsurprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Maybe they'd be better off putting those long trams on the Red Line and robbing a few trams from the Red Cow depot to take their place. Doesnt seem like a good idea to be running them on the green line with their arse hanging out behind them when caught at the lights right?

Advertisement