Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions about armed Garda

Options
  • 12-03-2018 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I just have a few questions out of curiosity relating to armed units of the Gardaí:

What is the difference between the ERU and ASU? Having said that, what is the RSU? What is the PSNI equivalent?

What rank of Garda carry firearms regularly? I mean do regular rank and file, sergeants or superintendents carry?

Last question, what guns do they carry? I know that the armed United usually have sub machine guns and some have Sig P226 or P99s, but do any carry Glocks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

gardaeru wrote: »
    I just have a few questions out of curiosity relating to armed units of the Gardaí:

What is the difference between the ERU and ASU? Having said that, what is the RSU? What is the PSNI equivalent?

What rank of Garda carry firearms regularly? I mean do regular rank and file, sergeants or superintendents carry?

Last question, what guns do they carry? I know that the armed United usually have sub machine guns and some have Sig P226 or P99s, but do any carry Glocks?

RSU and ASU are same thing. ASU are more a response and assistance unit. ERU deal with more planned operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

RSU and ASU are same thing. ASU are more a response and assistance unit. ERU deal with more planned operations.

RSU was setup since 2008 outside DMR then 2016 ASU was setup within the DMR. All RSU now units are called ASU ( RSU is no more) all are part of the new special crime operation command.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

POGAN wrote: »
    RSU was setup since 2008 outside DMR then 2016 ASU was setup within the DMR. All RSU now units are called ASU ( RSU is no more) all are part of the new special crime operation command.

Which is a bit silly.
    When someone calls for a Romeo Sierra.. you know what to expect.. when you call for Alpha Sierra.. you get something else.. that isnt as effective at knocking down a door.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Which is a bit silly.
    When someone calls for a Romeo Sierra.. you know what to expect.. when you call for Alpha Sierra.. you get something else.. that isnt as effective at knocking down a door.

Callsigns haven't changed.

Advertisement